Vikings FFMD20 War Room

RpMc

12 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Agreed and Samuels is not that.  That is odd The Steelers took him because they already have James Conner, Benny Snell, Jaylen Samuels, Darrin Hall, Ralph Webb and Kerrith Whyte not to mention Derek Watt at FB.  Makes sense to get a big play dude but clearly would have to can multiple backs they currently have.

Jefferson is good but I would not take him in the 3rd, the rest are all solid, Claypool is clearly the top but sure he will be gone shortly.  Could get a steal with Bryan Edwards, he had a great season this year for South Carolina.

Not a huge surprise, most big play home run potential might be Anthony McFarland now, but AJ Dillion would be sweat to get a power back like him.

Yeah, I like AJ Dillion. Great speed/size combo

Prolly the first draft pick I agree with in Prince Tega Wanogho, and thats not because I really like him or anything, but I think one "had" to be taken. Sure there is this perceived notion of a big 4 OT ... and then a drop off to a collection of OL ... the problem is that from pick 20-45, another half dozen go off the board ... and your looking now at the bottom of the collection of OL, which is what Prince is..... If its then delayed to the 3rd, its another tier below and your looking at alot of time needed, for them to hopefully be a backup.

I would have moved up 5 or so spots for Love QB or Weaver DE instead, but Prince is a fair selection

Edited by CriminalMind

6 minutes ago, marshpit23 said:

Yeah, I like AJ Dillion. Great speed/size combo

Yeah I would be afraid to tackle him if I was a defender.  Now watch he is gone shortly as well.  They are different players because Henry had more long stride big play ability compared to Dillon but clearly played around much more talent.  Physically they are very alike and in any other draft Dillon would have been gone by now but the RB class is so deep.

Derrick Henry
6-3 247, 4.54, 22 reps, 37 vert, 130 broad, 7.20 cone, 4.38 shuttle

AJ Dillon
6-0 247, 4.53, 23 reps, 41 vert, 131 broad, 7.19 cone, DNP shuttle

3 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Prolly the first draft pick I agree with in Prince Tega Wanogho, and thats not because I really like him or anything, but I think one "had" to be taken. Sure there is this perceived notion of a big 4 OT ... and then a drop off to a collection of OL ... the problem is that from pick 20-45, another half dozen go off the board ... and your looking now at the bottom of the collection of OL, which is what Prince is..... If its then delayed to the 3rd, its another tier below and your looking at alot of time needed, for them to hopefully be a backup.

I would agree with that, it takes a notch down for sure and absolutely those top guys 1st round even after then it takes a drop and in real life I could see the same thing happening teams running on these OL 2nd round and not many should be around 3rd and beyond.  

Prince has a ton of upside and fits the system very well.  If he would have worked out at the combine and was healthy he probably would have done quite well.  He is #76 by the way in these clips.

xitgbexqeiagyodk65ou

Harrell-Gif-090318.gif

Edited by Ozzy

50 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

I would have moved up 5 or so spots for Love QB or Weaver DE instead, but Prince is a fair selection

Personally not a Love fan, and I would have had to feel real good about him to make that pick with Cousins just re-signing.  Weaver is nothing special, and physically doesn't meet the profile of our defensive ends (shorter than 6'3 and shorter arms)

A couple veteran safety options I've put out feelers on that I've been told are available... Eric Rowe and Jahleel Addae... neither are anything special, but would give us a vet back there to pair with smith.

40 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Tevin Coleman can be had for a 6th if we want a vet back to pair with Mattison.

That seems reasonable for Coleman but I am not sure how much his contract is and wouldn't want to do it if there was a big cap consequence. A rookie 6th round pick might be better for the rookie contract. Jerrick McKinnon is probably available too but didn't the Niners give him something like $7.5M per year. I loved McKinnon was was sure glad the Vikings didn't try to match that offer. At that rate I wouldn't take him for free.  I am concerned that Coleman could have a similar contract, but haven't been able to bother myself to look so I don't actually know. 

Asked about both Coleman and McKinnon. Coleman is signed just through this year for a shade under $5M, with $250K of that being in per game roster bonuses.

McKinnon is unavailable per them

Edited by RpMc

44 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Asked about both Coleman and McKinnon. Coleman is signed just through this year for a shade under $5M, with $250K of that being in per game roster bonuses.

McKinnon is unavailable per them

I wouldn't take Coleman on that contract for free. A low round rookie RB and $4.5M to spend on another position suits my preferences much better. It is really hard to spend much more than a rookie contract or veteran minimum on any RB nowadays. Coleman doesn't rise to the level of being worth it IMO.

2 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

I wouldn't take Coleman on that contract for free. A low round rookie RB and $4.5M to spend on another position suits my preferences much better. It is really hard to spend much more than a rookie contract or veteran minimum on any RB nowadays. Coleman doesn't rise to the level of being worth it IMO.

There's no one to spend money on at the moment with no free agent movement, for a 6th round pick I think I'm going to pull the trigger on it just to have a veteran back - he can be cut if he totally gets out performed and all we would be out is $2M and change (partial guarantee for injury at this point) and a 6th round pick (when we still have one).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RpMc said:

There's no one to spend money on at the moment with no free agent movement

Well, the team could lock up one of the guys they already have on the team to a longer term deal.

Sadly, I just looked up the 2017 draft to see who they have on expiring rookie contracts. Blimey!  That was one bad draft. With trading Cook away there really isn't much there.

Odenigbho would be the most likely but even he is no longer on that rookie contract at this point as he was cut, went to another team, and came back. It is hard to count that as a draft success when his current stent on the team comes as a free agent acquisition.

There are a couple other guys that have stuck with the team but I can't say I would be investing cap space into extending them this offseason.

Looking at the 2018 draft, I do not believe these guys are eligible for an extension yet but that cupboard is pretty bare after Hughes and O'Neill.

Looking a year earlier at the 2016 draft the team already has nothing left. I am sure glad we now have a new GM, Mr RpMc, that is doing a pretty bang up job. This draft almost has to be better than recent Spielman drafts.

In RpMc I trust. We don't need more Willie Beavers, Danny Isidora, Colby Gossett, Pat Elflein's on the offensive line. Thanks for addressing the line. Hopefully in a year we are not also lamenting having Garrett Bradbury. The rookie season wasn't good but there is still hope in that one. We should know after this year. Well, we should know, if, you know, there is a season this year.

Good grief the recent drafts under that previous GM were bad. Given how they went it is hard to have much optimism for the 2019 picks. Samia couldn't crack a pretty terrible interior offensive line. Udoh looked decent against Kalil Mack week seventeen last year so I'll hold out a bit of hope for him. It looks like the 2019 draft will be better than the previous three drafts but that isn't a very high bar at all.

I'm optimistic about Samia, but that's based off college tape - optimistic about Udoh too, but certainly not right now.

Going to look to add more explosion to the offense coming up here while still keeping an eye on guards.