Vikings FFMD20 War Room

RpMc

These are some guys still on the board around this range in the draft, still plenty of potential safety types, a few CBs who could switch to safety included in that group.

*Safety who can cover or a CB who could transition to S potentially:

Chris Miller Baylor SR S
Nevelle Clarke UCF RS SR CB/S
Josh Metellus Michigan SR S
Jordan Fuller Ohio State SR S

*More in the box safety and tackler:

Daniel Thomas Auburn SR S

Potentially another big need unless they are sold on Brandon Dillon.  I think a few of these guys would be a nice improvement over Dillon honestly.

*Tight End with blocking ability:

Jared Pinkney Vandy RS SR TE
Charlie Warner Georgia SR TE

Might be the most important need still outside of S and TE.  Another OG for depth and Williams could be that guy, but would love Runyan and his versatility to play OT.

*Offensive guards:

Michael Onwenu Michigan SR OG
Termayne Anchrum Clemson SR OT/OG

Taylor would be amazing value, I think Trey Adams has been crazy underrated in this process because of a bad combine.  On the field the kid can play and when healthy he is very good, health is the only major downside to him.  He can move good enough for a dude his size and would not be surprise if he becomes a decent pro, but he has been taken just recently.

*Offensive tackles:

Terrence Steele Texas Tech RS SR OT

Not a big need but have a great run stopper in Roy and an athletic pass rusher in Windsor that might be interesting, same with Khalil Davis with how great he looked at the combine.

*Defensive tackles:

Robert Windsor Penn State RS SR DT
Darrion Daniels Nebraska SR DT
Raequan Williams Michigan State RS SR DT

A pretty decent collection of corners, do not really need one since had two corners on first two picks but helps show the depth at the position potentially.

*Corners:

Myles Bryant Washington SR CB
Nevelle Clarke UCF RS SR CB/S
Essang Bassey Wake Forest SR CB
 Trajan Bandy Miami FL JR CB
John Reid Penn State RS SR CB

Wish they need a linebacker, have a ton of talent here, Bachie is a great ILB who can run, Weaver is a tackling machine and Bailey is passionate strong leader.  

*Linebackers:

Joe Bachie Michigan State SR ILB
Markus Bailey Purdue RS SR LB
Chris Orr Wisconsin RS SR ILB
Jordan Mack Virginia SR ILB
TJ Brunson South Carolina SR LB
Azur Kamara Kansas SR OLB
Cam Brown Penn State SR OLB

Very good group of RBs, so that would not be an issue but with as many backs on the roster now not sure it is a huge need.

*Running backs:

James Robinson Illinois State SR RB
DeeJay Dallas Miami FL JR RB
Michael Warren II Cincinnati JR RB
Darius Anderson TCU SR RB

Some guys still around for depth maybe, Coughlin could be a decent player in this league but might be a better fit as a 3/4 OLB with his fine athletic ability.  Wonnum has a lot of athletic upside as well.

*Defensive Ends:

Carter Coughlin Minnesota SR OLB/DE
Derrek Tuszka NDSU SR DE

Would love to see Fromm drop and Vikings take him as a backup over Mannion, but he is gone now.  Would not hate getting Patterson or Stanley late 5th or 6th round, Mannion I think should be let go.  Then again Sloter was released, maybe they will bring him back, at least he had some upside.  

*Quarterbacks:

Nathan Stanley Iowa SR QB
Shea Patterson Michigan SR QB
Steven Montez Colorado RS SR QB

Probably do not get a third receiver but some ok guys still out there.

*Receivers:

Binjimen Victor Ohio State SR WR
Collin Johnson Texas SR WR
Jauan Jennings Tennessee RS SR WR
Austin Mack Ohio State SR WR
Trishton Jackson Syracuse RS JR WR
Malcolm Perry Navy SR WR/RB
Juwan Johnson Oregon RS SR WR

Edited by Ozzy
as players get picked

1 hour ago, RpMc said:

Personal philosophy is to not draft a QB after the first two rounds as career prospects are pretty similar between third and undrafted.

I don't think that is statistically accurate if one looks at literally every QB in the last 25 years.  Regardless I would want a QB with some talent and upside, and if Fromm would drop in real life to the 4th or 5th round I would no doubt take him as a potential QB for the future and can Mannion and or Browning.  

If that was the philosophy, Kirk Cousins would not be the teams QB because he would have been kicked out of the NFL in three years.  Not to mention Russell Wilson, Dak Prescott, Nick Foles, Tyrod Taylor etc.  Not even mentioning the many other great ones but sure there are UDFA quarterbacks who have had success as well.  Sure the Vikings probably do not draft a QB in this draft but if one like Fromm falls to them, or Eason I would not mind getting them at all if it is a good value.  

Edited by Ozzy
  • Like 2

For every Wilson there’s a Warner, for every Cousins there’s a Romo. 

the statistics actually support the likelihood of getting anything meaningful out of a quarterback dropping significantly after the second round.  Given that UDFA’s only cost you cash, it’s a much better use of assets. 

where would we be without John David Booty? Tyler Thigpen? Or Chad May? Those are the three QBs drafted by the purple beyond the second round going back 25 years. 

Jake Browning has every good a chance turning out to be even a viable backup as do Fromm/Eason or QB de jeur  

Edited by RpMc

I think drafting a 4th or 5th round QB rather then a UDFA at the very least puts a little more expectations on the prospect, at the same time a UDFA could come with a big chip his shoulder.

*A little side note not to get off ffdm topic but with our ammo and the talent this year maybe its a good year to pull the trigger if one falls to the middle of the draft.

Looking at it now it was probably not the best idea to trade two draft picks just to move up a few spots to draft Bryan Edwards when he could easily have been there at the original slot anyway.  And if not one gets Chase Claypool or Lynn Bowden so it is not that big of a difference and each player has their own unique skillset.  But yes looks like it will be quite awhile till another selection to get another much needed safety, OG depth and a blocking TE along with some other things.   

You’re doing nice work with what you came into this with. Love the defense and could totally see a classic Zimmer stack like this on that side of the ball. However, this offense worries me. Not super excited to watch them for an entire year. And a Thielen injury will be an absolute season killer. 

Again, you came in with a tough hand and have done a nice job. Just a tough draft for the Vikings to begin with. 

Just now, Ozzy said:

Looking at it now it was probably not the best idea to trade two draft picks just to move up a few spots to draft Bryan Edwards when he could easily have been there at the original slot anyway.  And if not one gets Chase Claypool or Lynn Bowden so it is not that big of a difference and each player has their own unique skillset.  But yes looks like it will be quite awhile till another selection to get another much needed safety, OG depth and a blocking TE along with some other things.   

If you have your guy you target, go get your guy. 

1 minute ago, battle2heaven said:

If you have your guy you target, go get your guy. 

Yes if one has faith in someone go get them but Bryan Edwards to me is not a player you break the bank to go get.  Getting rid of two draft picks 76th pick and the 156 pick for moving up only to the 69 pick in the 3rd round makes little sense.  I would have been shocked if he would not have been just sitting there at 76.  And looking at it now there are some players at 156 one missed out on because of it. 

2 minutes ago, eaganfootball4 said:

You’re doing nice work with what you came into this with. Love the defense and could totally see a classic Zimmer stack like this on that side of the ball. However, this offense worries me. Not super excited to watch them for an entire year. And a Thielen injury will be an absolute season killer. 

Again, you came in with a tough hand and have done a nice job. Just a tough draft for the Vikings to begin with. 

I completely agree, trading Cook on paper seems great but wow unless one gets Swift, Dobbins, Taylor or Edwards-Helaire to replace him.... It is like crap that run game is not that dymanic.  Could be an issue no question, and I do agree getting more star WR play would have been nice but needed CB play a ton and getting two early is not out of the question.  Improved OL play is gigantic though regardless of the receivers and adding Prince/Simpson to this zone blocking scheme would be huge.  But yes if Thielen went down again that would be a big problem.  But I think they have a lot of faith in Sharpe coming in, Beebe coming off injury, Hollins as a devleopmental guy, Bisi Johnson as a 7th rounder last year and a drafted buy like Edwards and sure more will come later in this mock draft.

It is all pretend, but seriously if they had a DL with Hunter and Chris Jones they would be amazingly hard to handle on D and that would slightly cover up a weaker offense.  

• Like 1

I liked the Edwards pick a lot but given the injury question and lack of visits with teams I do think in the real draft he'll slide down further than he did in this mock draft. I don't think the mock drafters take injury concerns into account as much as teams will in the real draft. The mock drafters are likely expecting the injury slippage to be about what it would have been in years where teams had a lot more chance to poke and prod the prospects.

The Geno Stone pick was solid, he is a tough physical player who really came on strong this season.  Still clearly my opinion I would take Chris Miller over him all day, he is a better hitter and a tougher player arguably who is better in coverage.  With Stone matching him with Harrison Smith if it happens I question because Stone cannot cover that well.  Both can come down hill just Miller to me is more intense and physically brings it a little more.

Still would have loved the idea of Nevelle Clarke and moving him to safety, he has great length and ball skills and really tracks the football well, is a better fit arguably as a FS but agree that position had to be addressed and good it was.

Michael Onwenu  and Tremayne Anchrum are two of the decent guards left.  Anchrum was a OT at Clemson but I think he could maybe transition to guard and do well.  Onwenu is a physical player and very large, might not be a scheme fit though but has experience pulling and moving around.  Joe Bachie being on the board is a surprise, sure had the PED issue this past year but outside of that he is easily one of the best ILB prospects in the draft and instantly is better than Cam Smith or Gates from the XFL in my book.

Surprised James Robinson is still on the board at RB, he is a bowling ball of power, good build upper and lower body and nice athlete.  Darius Anderson is another, little underrated but has big play ability as a back.

Was a good idea to trade up into the 6th round again and just forget about the 7th in this situation.  

2 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Was a good idea to trade up into the 6th round again and just forget about the 7th in this situation.  

These mocks tend to die out in enthusiasm into the 7th - I honestly just wanted to make sure I still got picks in while everyone else was picking.  I didn't have a player in mind with the trade up :D

I was going to take Muse at that spot to be a developmental cover linebacker and special teams guy, but the Packers grabbed him a few picks before.

Stone definitely lacks some explosiveness, but his instincts help to cover it a bit.  He's one of the youngest guys in the draft (just turns 21 this coming Sunday), and some full-time S&C will do him well in that area.  He's likely more of a guy to groom behind Harrison than a complimentary player to him - should be a good core special teams guy.