Animal Crossing: New Horizons

2 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

This has been my big question.. I'm already playing Stardew, so what does Animal Crossing give me that Stardew doesn't?

I love this types of games so I have been thinking about getting it, but I feel like it would just be the same experience as Stardew.

They are pretty different, actually. Stardew is about maximizing what you do each day. You can binge it and play for hours and hours if you want. There's combat in the mines and farming. 

Animal Crossing is way more relaxed. It's real time, and things take time to be done. You play for an hour or two each day. It's not meant to be played for thirteen hours straight. There are events that happen in sync with the real calendar, and it's a lot more about collecting, decorating, designing, etc. 

I love both but they're quite different. 

• Like 3

On 4/8/2020 at 8:28 PM, SwoleXmad said:

Nostalgia bating and sunk cost fallacy. 

Also Nintendo makes some genuinely good games, looking at you Cooking Mama the bitcoin miner edition. 

It's a great game.

But it's no Stardew. 

Also the basic nintendo stuff is still in and some jank like all their games (Online, menus, quality of life features etc.) 

That said I have 50 hours in it so......damn you Thomas Nookington. 

I'm definitely on Team Stardew; Animal Crossing is great but Stardew is by far a much more efficient and rewarding life simulator.

• Like 2

I had trouble keeping my interest in New Leaf and didn’t try the other DS game so I was hoping this would at least match the Game Cube version which was the one I really fell in love with.

So far so good.

Not being able to go out to eat, go to brew pubs or beer gardens certainly makes more time for this as well.

I was a little disappointed to learn that K.K. Slider doesn’t automatically visit your town at 10:00 PM on Saturday night, now it’s not until you get a 3 star rating for your island. Guess whose brother already has a 3 star rating? He has waaayyy too much time for this game. I have to stop to play Madden, or watch TV or movies. 

• 2 weeks later...

Wife and I have made our town complete with all the little towns necessities:

- local swimming pool

- outside of town limits cornfield

- crappy downtown

- dirt road where all of the country villagers live

- school, hospital, daycare, and church

- football field right next to the school

- threw in an arcade regardless of fit because I’ve always wanted arcades to be a thing still

Edited by Duluther

• 3 weeks later...

Tips for Starting

Hey guys! I'm looking for some tips for really getting into the game. I just got the houses built for Tom, so it seems like the next thing would the Town Hall, right? What do you wish you'd known when you'd gotten started really building up your town? Thanks 

1 hour ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

Tips for Starting

Hey guys! I'm looking for some tips for really getting into the game. I just got the houses built for Tom, so it seems like the next thing would the Town Hall, right? What do you wish you'd known when you'd gotten started really building up your town? Thanks 

This is actually a great game to not get a ton of tips. Just play. Explore your island, collect resources, and just do what feels fun each day. 

Have you played any Animal Crossing before? Little things like you can plant fruit that you pick to grow new fruit trees might help, I guess. Talk to everyone every day! Sometimes they'll give you stuff! 

4 hours ago, drew39k said:

Figured I'd let you all know that my island has turnips for 597. I'll be on later tonight. Let me know if you want to sell em.

Online now, not sure how long I'll be on but here is the dodo. Code for the turnip sales 0C4NW. 

4 hours ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Still on or around? I'd dump a few 'nips at your island if so! 

Sorry, I tried to get here and a few other slots before going to the dedicated gamer boards. Once I got there I got swamped with visits.