Which position groups are the Packers concentrating on ?

OneTwoSixFive

2 hours ago, Isherwood said:

I do wonder if GB is doing more work on CB, if they anticipate a WR run before their pick and the corner class to get pushed down? It might not help us as much year 1, but we know they value CBs highly 

I went back to a couple of big boards and there are least 13 CB's within the top-100 and about another 7-8 Safeties in that same range. Let's be honest about our CB unit though. We have a sure-fire starter in Jaire, a starter in King but he's been injured, Tramon has not been signed and has lost a step. Who do you have behind those three, KaDar Hollman who's a developmental prospect, Chandon Sullivan who was a UDFA hit last year, and Josh Jackson who's a debatable bust.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say we draft a CB within the first four rounds and I bet it'll be Fulton or Gladney. We're also CLEARLY going to be drafting at least one EDGE at some point in this draft. Who and when are the questions in play here.

1 hour ago, Joe said:

We're also CLEARLY going to be drafting at least one EDGE at some point in this draft. Who and when are the questions in play here.

First off, I think they will, too.

But...Tim Williams is still on the roster as an EDGE.  I had forgotten about him.  Still remember the draft crush I had on him because in college he was very quick off of the snap.  But...that was about it.  Still, he's on the roster.

It is interesting, I saw this on Facebook group that since Gute took over whoever he got in FA is reflected by which positional group he went after in the first couple of rounds of draft:

2018: House (CB) and Tramon (CB) = Jaire (CB) and Jones (CB)
2019: Smiths (OLB), Turner (G) and Amos (S) = Gary (OLB), Jenkins (G), Savage (S)

SO....
2020: Kirksey (ILB), Wagner (OT) and Funchess (WR) = Queen (ILB), Niang (OT), Edwards (WR).... at a guess...

Anyway it might be coincidence but quite interesting though. Pretty safe to say OT and WR will feature pretty early in our draft picks. Less convinced that ILB will. 

• Like 1

On 4/16/2020 at 4:43 PM, vegas492 said:

First off, I think they will, too.

But...Tim Williams is still on the roster as an EDGE.  I had forgotten about him.  Still remember the draft crush I had on him because in college he was very quick off of the snap.  But...that was about it.  Still, he's on the roster.

If Tim Williams had anything to give it would've happened late last year. Granted, if he has a good camp, I could see us keeping 5 EDGE rushers though I think that happens anyway.

That said, look at how many EDGE guys we've "visited" in the visit thread. Interestingly, a fair amount of them are tweeners that are EDGE/DL and EDGE/OLB(Anthony Barr role). If we were to grab a few of those tweeners, I can't help but think we may see an EDGE hybrid role where guys who were smaller EDGE guys in college may play a lot of snaps from ILB. Josh Uche and Jordyn Brooks come to mind. Kirksey can fill that role too.

16 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

It is interesting, I saw this on Facebook group that since Gute took over whoever he got in FA is reflected by which positional group he went after in the first couple of rounds of draft:

2018: House (CB) and Tramon (CB) = Jaire (CB) and Jones (CB)
2019: Smiths (OLB), Turner (G) and Amos (S) = Gary (OLB), Jenkins (G), Savage (S)

SO....
2020: Kirksey (ILB), Wagner (OT) and Funchess (WR) = Queen (ILB), Niang (OT) Jones/Charles(OT), Edwards (WR) Reagor/Shenault/Davis(WR).... at a guess...

Anyway it might be coincidence but quite interesting though. Pretty safe to say OT and WR will feature pretty early in our draft picks. Less convinced that ILB will. 

Have you not been paying attention to the draft discussion thread? Serious question, not ripping you.

We've discussed the possibility of an OT in the first 3 rounds multiple times. Personally, I'd rather wait until the 3rd and draft Saadiq Charles, but I'm really thinking we go Josh Jones at 30 if he's there and Patrick Queen is off the board. This WR is so deep that we can wait until 62 or even 94 to address the position. Plus, you have G'mo's replacement in Quartney Davis hanging around in the 4th IMHO. I've just got a feeling we're drafting him. Gute seems to like Jimbo Fisher's guys. We drafted two of them last year and I wouldn't be surprised if we drafted Madubuike and backed it up with Davis - not what I'd like to see, but...

22 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

When's the last time the Packers spent an official visit on anyone they drafted high?

I don't know if it was the last time, but I'm pretty sure we spent one on Datone Jones. It was pretty obvious we were gonna pick him in one of the worst first round drafts of all time...

33 minutes ago, Joe said:

Have you not been paying attention to the draft discussion thread? Serious question, not ripping you.

We've discussed the possibility of an OT in the first 3 rounds multiple times.

Hence why I stated it is pretty safe to say we are going with an OT and hence why I had Niang listed as an option. Not quite sure your point there. It was meant to be a revelation or something. 

Moving along, one issue I do have with a tackle in the first two rounds though is it doesn't help us this year. A DL or an ILB or a WR does help. Most likely a tackle will sit behind Wagner and would be groomed therefore I would actually prefer us to spend a 4th or later on a Driscoll,  Steele etc.

If I had money and knowledge of the draft... which granted, is very little on both accounts... Id put it on some combo of DB, WR, OT with the first three picks.

Late rounds are going to feature a RB, QB, and some FB/TE. Book that.
Gute and co. have been looking at QBs more than Id like them too. They could be gearing up for the next few years but I really feel like they're going to address it

• Like 1

On 4/17/2020 at 5:23 PM, Joe said:

If Tim Williams had anything to give it would've happened late last year. Granted, if he has a good camp, I could see us keeping 5 EDGE rushers though I think that happens anyway..

Z, P, Fack, Gary.  How was Williams going to give us anything behind those 4???  He was injury insurance.  And still, he's an EDGE on the roster.  At the very least we have 4 right now.  

He's a former third rounder, has some experience.  I wouldn't HATE it if he was our third, though I like a rookie to come in an compete for that spot.

Tis all I'm saying.  If Williams is your 4'th, the position isn't bad.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Z, P, Fack, Gary.  How was Williams going to give us anything behind those 4???  He was injury insurance.  And still, he's an EDGE on the roster.  At the very least we have 4 right now.  

He's a former third rounder, has some experience.  I wouldn't HATE it if he was our third, though I like a rookie to come in an compete for that spot.

Tis all I'm saying.  If Williams is your 4'th, the position isn't bad.  

I think you're missing my point, which was that Williams would have at least had a few snaps down the stretch if he had anything to contribute. I think he's the latest Bama EDGE guy to look great in the crimson and white, but flop at the next level. Lets look at his stats. 

http://www.nfl.com/player/timwilliams/2557841/careerstats

This is where we armchair scouts screw up evaluations. Tim Williams was a bonafide first round pick int he 2017 draft, but slid to the third and we all wondered why. Look at his stats and yes, I get it, he's been on a Baltimore team behind great EDGE rushers, but he couldn't carve out a #3 EDGE in his entire time there and has never played more than 8 games in a season. 

He's a camp body at this point.

7 minutes ago, Joe said:

I think you're missing my point, which was that Williams would have at least had a few snaps down the stretch if he had anything to contribute. I think he's the latest Bama EDGE guy to look great in the crimson and white, but flop at the next level. Lets look at his stats. 

This is where we armchair scouts screw up evaluations. Tim Williams was a bonafide first round pick int he 2017 draft, but slid to the third and we all wondered why. Look at his stats and yes, I get it, he's been on a Baltimore team behind great EDGE rushers, but he couldn't carve out a #3 EDGE in his entire time there and has never played more than 8 games in a season. 

Tim Williams sliding out of the first round had way more to do with his dumbass getting high to the point of being incoherent in a public parking lot with an unregistered handgun in the center console of his car. 

5 minutes ago, Joe said:

Precisely.  If he's your 4'th, you are fine.  Which means, you don't have to "chase" an edge in the draft.  Let one come to you.

He wasn't getting snaps last year, not because of his ability or inability, he had Z, P, Fack (10.5 sacks the year before) and a highly drafted first round pick in front of him.  Unless someone got injured, or two someones got injured, he wasn't going to contribute much of anything.  He was insurance.

I could care less about his stats, we are talking about EDGE#4 here.  He had talent coming out, and still does.  Whether or not he does anything with it remains to be seen.

And I really, really hope that he finds his way this pre-season.  I want nothing more than to post more "Timmy" on this website.    As of now, he's been more of the second picture.

3bc9677aed9f8adb46250a1d4fce81e2.jpg

904229f9d917d44e94ebfe3002c78f28.jpg

22 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

And I really, really hope that he finds his way this pre-season.  I want nothing more than to post more "Timmy" on this website.    As of now, he's been more of the second picture.

3bc9677aed9f8adb46250a1d4fce81e2.jpg

904229f9d917d44e94ebfe3002c78f28.jpg

LOL. My favorite Timmy episode is when they introduce the Jimmy Volmer character. Ji.....Jimmeh?...

24 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Tim Williams sliding out of the first round had way more to do with his dumbass getting high to the point of being incoherent in a public parking lot with an unregistered handgun in the center console of his car. 

That was the straw that broke the camel's back IMHO. He jumped off the tape when you watched him play, but when you re-evaluated, you saw some troubling things. Then the combine came around and opened up a new can of worms starting with the drug stuff you mentioned; though he was honest about his issues which is more than you can say about Randy Gregory...

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profiles/tim-williams?id=2557841
https://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2017twilliams.php
https://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2017twilliams.php

Some unfortunate quotes from the above sources:

"Scouts say he struggles with Alabama scheme and needs to have things simplified. Can be taken advantage of with screen passes and misdirection."

"He's like the Predator. When he's allowed to do just one thing -- get the quarterback -- he is really good at it. Don't ask him to do much more than that, though. ... I don't know if NFL defenses are going to trust him to do more than just rush." -- NFC area scout

"The on-field question is if he can be more than a sub-package pass rusher. Alabama barely used him against the run in 2015, and while he can drive blockers back when he has a little momentum, he’s not necessarily built to help set an edge."