Is Lincoln Riley overrated?

naptownskinsfan

I wouldn't say overrated. He has taken his team to the playoffs three years in a row and four out of the five since its inception. He just hasn't been able to advance past the semis.

By any normal standards, that's pretty damn good. The expectations are just so crazy high that it's either win it all or bust, which is truly unrealistic.

Still hate the Sooners though

5 hours ago, Lefty said:

I wouldn't say overrated. He has taken his team to the playoffs three years in a row and four out of the five since its inception. He just hasn't been able to advance past the semis.

By any normal standards, that's pretty damn good. The expectations are just so crazy high that it's either win it all or bust, which is truly unrealistic.

with those qb's he should at least gone to the finals at least once out of those 3 times. OU just has a luxury of playing in the big 12.  he is a good HC dont get me a wrong but he is a tad bit overrated in that sense. 

9 hours ago, Lefty said:

Helps when you get a free Conference Championship most of the time, and their out of conference schedule leaves a lot to be desired. (save Ohio State in 2017)

Edited by Danger

3 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

with those qb's he should at least gone to the finals at least once out of those 3 times. OU just has a luxury of playing in the big 12.  he is a good HC dont get me a wrong but he is a tad bit overrated in that sense. 

16 minutes ago, Danger said:

Helps when you get a free Conference Championship most of the time, and their out of conference schedule leaves a lot to be desired. (save Ohio State in 2017)

Same could be said about Clemson playing in the ACC. And the SEC gets no slack for OOC games so long as they are playing FCS schools in October/November. Not to mention both play only 8 league games compared to 9 which every other P5 does.

I’m no fan of OU but Riley has been very successful in the short amount of time he’s been HC. The defense has been the Achilles Heel, although I won’t argue having back to back Heisman QBs should’ve at least gotten them to the Natty. 

3 minutes ago, Lefty said:

Same could be said about Clemson playing in the ACC. And the SEC gets no slack for OOC games so long as they are playing FCS schools in October/November. Not to mention both play only 8 league games compared to 9 which every other P5 does.

I’m no fan of OU but Riley has been very successful in the short amount of time he’s been HC. The defense has been the Achilles Heel, although I won’t argue having back to back Heisman QBs should’ve at least gotten them to the Natty. 

True,  but those teams are at the same level at the Big 12 competition, so it evens out when the Big 12 rep gets embarrassed in the playoffs.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lefty said:

Again, if you’re using coaches like Saban / Dabo as a measuring stick then arguably every HC in the country is overrated.

This is a fair point, but that said...

Does Kirby Smart fall into the same category? Ryan Day?

Kirby has at least gone to a NC game and is one play away from being a National Champion. Ryan Day just finished his first year, so he's not in the same perception nationally in many people's minds.

Lincoln Riley is 0-3 on the big stage with multiple embarrassment performances, albeit with 1 heartbreaking loss to UGA.

Edited by MWil23
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

This is a fair point, but that said...

Kirby has at least gone to a NC game and is one play away from being a National Champion. Ryan Day just finished his first year, so he's not in the same perception nationally in many people's minds.

Lincoln Riley is 0-3 on the big state with multiple embarrassment performances, albeit with 1 heartbreaking loss to UGA.

Could add Coach O in there as well probably.

I'm just saying, if the measuring stick is winning the Natty on a yearly basis or several times in a matter of years, then our expectations as fans are getting out of hand. Winning your conference & making the playoff is a big accomplishment, especially when you've done it in successive years. Or in Lincoln's case, 4 out of the 5 years as HC. He's done better than what is literally a handful of other coaches since the playoff era began.

I'll agree he hasn't won the big games (which so far has been true) but overrated is a bit much.