NFL Draft Thread: Day 3

@PARROTHEAD

You were right, here ya go:

https://sports.yahoo.com/lsu-ties-ohio-states-record-with-14-nfl-draft-picks-231230327.html

The Tigers tied a seven-round NFL draft record with 14 draft picks over Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Tight end Stephen Sullivan was the 14th Tiger taken when he was drafted in the seventh round as LSU tied Ohio State’s number of draft picks in the 2004 NFL draft.

A bunch of LSU’s draft picks went early, too. The Tigers tied a record for the most picks in the first three rounds of the draft with 10. That happened as the SEC set a record with 15 of the 32 picks in the first round.

Five of those 15 were LSU players. QB Joe Burrow, EDGE K’Lavon Chaisson, WR Justin Jefferson, LB Patrick Queen and RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire were all chosen in the first round.

Ohio State had three players taken in the first round of the 2004 draft by comparison. And the Buckeyes’ first selection didn’t happen until the New Orleans Saints took DE Will Smith at No. 18.

All of LSU’s 2020 NFL draft picks

No. 1: QB Joe Burrow (Cincinnati)

No. 20: Edge K’Lavon Chaisson (Jacksonville)

No. 22: WR Justin Jefferson (Minnesota)

No. 28: LB Patrick Queen (Baltimore)

No. 32: RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire (Kansas City)

No. 44: S Grant Delpit (Cleveland)

No. 61: CB Kristian Fulton (Tennessee)

No. 69: G Damien Lewis (Seattle)

No. 83: C Lloyd Cushenberry (Denver

No. 97: LB Jacob Phillips (Cleveland)

No. 108: T Saahdiq Charles (Washington)

No. 131: DT Rashard Lawrence (Arizona)

No. 185: LS Blake Ferguson (Miami)

No. 251: TE Stephen Sullivan (Seattle)

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Teams with more draftees than USC... Temple (Doubled USC). Louisiana. Memphis.

As many as USC... Appy St. Charlotte. FIU. Fresno St. Georgia Southern. La Tech. Marshall. Tulane. Tulsa. Wyoming.

8 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Teams with more draftees than USC... Temple (Doubled USC). Louisiana. Memphis.

As many as USC... Appy St. Charlotte. FIU. Fresno St. Georgia Southern. La Tech. Marshall. Tulane. Tulsa. Wyoming.

Wow! Crazy how far that program has fallen 

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I'm confused extremely confused. No matter what, you are getting those types of guys late in the draft, there are just certain prospects that we had heard or watched in college that we liked better then the guys we actually took. By no means does that mean that the guys we took weren't worth taking when we took them.

I’ll also add that we can still grab some of the guys we all wanted as UDFAs. I hope we do grab some of them.

The offseason isn't over. There are still LTs they can sign if they don't like the guys they have and the guy they just drafted to start there. Same with TE and they could trade for some TEs too.

What I’m talking about is ceiling vs floor. We don’t need a bunch of safe picks who are good bets to be decent enough to make a roster, fill out the 53, play teams, etc. We already have lots of guys like that. And we just added more of them from round 5 on.

What I think we needed is some guys with higher ceilings. Guys who very well might fail, might even make you look bad in the process — but who also have the potential to be stars if everything clicks for them. Someone like Trey Adams might be ravaged for good by the injuries — but if he could get back to his pre-injury form, he was once considered a future star. Guys who are still available late because they’re boom/bust guys, as opposed to guys who are still available late because all they’re ever capable of being is a backup.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

giphy.gif

I was shocked he didn't show up in a bathrobe for the 7th round! Trey Wingo joked he would! Haha 😂 

I tell you what, the real winner this weekend was Roger Goddell. He really did not for his imagee in the way he conducted the virtual and and interacted with the fans.

14 minutes ago, e16bball said:

What I’m talking about is ceiling vs floor. We don’t need a bunch of safe picks who are good bets to be decent enough to make a roster, fill out the 53, play teams, etc. We already have lots of guys like that. And we just added more of them from round 5 on.

What I think we needed is some guys with higher ceilings. Guys who very well might fail, might even make you look bad in the process — but who also have the potential to be stars if everything clicks for them. Someone like Trey Adams might be ravaged for good by the injuries — but if he could get back to his pre-injury form, he was once considered a future star. Guys who are still available late because they’re boom/bust guys, as opposed to guys who are still available late because all they’re ever capable of being is a backup.

No one wanted to draft Trey Adams. They knew they could sign him as an UDFA.

And I for one am tired of drafting injury-prone college players. We tried that for most of the last decade and it didn't work out so well.

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

This draft reminded me of the Gibbs 2.0 drafts.  

• Like 1