2020 Draft: Day One

pwny

2 minutes ago, pwny said:

There you go.

Think he's talking about guys mocks/big boards in December/January.

Not sure why acting as if what the media has during that time means they know how NFL teams view players but...

11 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

See, that's the thing. Henderson was viewed by many with elite potential as a man corner. Chaisson has been viewed as a mid round 1 guy for a while with great upside.

You're getting the last top players at their position while leaving the positions with plenty left for the rest of the draft in my eyes. 

Maybe it's an optimistic outlook. But plenty of WR, Safeties, OL left that I like. Edge and corner? Ehh. Not nearly the same caliber.

I just think that when, like you said...you're in the middle of a rebuild with a lot of holes to fill everywhere, focusing on certain spots because of the weakness of the class like that is a really short-sighted approach.  Drafting year-by-year based on what is the most "immediate" need, when you're in a deep multi-year project anyway...against the grain of the strength of the draft.

What if next year comes around and it's just loaded with talented CBs or dynamic Edge rushers?  This stuff always comes and goes in waves.  But now...we're probably sitting there next year talking about how we desperately need a top LT or top WR or whatever...passing on talented CBs or DEs in the same way we were this year, but at positions that were strong this year, and may not be next year.

That's just how it typically goes when you reactively start chasing things like this.  Can be understandable when you're a team on the cusp and you just really need that last piece right now to capitalize on a window.  You pony up and do what it takes to get the last of those "tiers".  But we're not there.  What's the worst that happens if we don't join the mad rush on CBs this year, and trot out what we've got and maybe a Day 2 project?

Just feels like justifying a Top-10 pick by how crazy some other teams went for CBs afterward...is like racing a lemming off a cliff and bragging about how you beat them.

Edited by Tugboat

1 minute ago, Tugboat said:

I just think that when, like you said...you're in the middle of a rebuild with a lot of holes to fill everywhere, focusing on certain spots because of the weakness of the class like that is a really short-sighted approach.  Drafting year-by-year based on what is the most "immediate" need, when you're in a deep multi-year project anyway...against the grain of the strength of the draft.

What if next year comes around and it's just loaded with talented CBs or dynamic Edge rushers?  This stuff always comes and goes in waves.  But now...we're probably sitting there next year talking about how we desperately need a top LT or top WR or whatever...passing on talented CBs or DEs in the same way we were this year, but at positions that were strong this year, and may not be next year.

That's just how it typically goes when you reactively start chasing things like this.  Can be understandable when you're a team on the cusp and you just really need that last piece right now to capitalize on a window.  You pony up and do what it takes to get the last of those "tiers".  But we're not there.  What's the worst that happens if we don't join the mad rush on CBs this year, and trot out what we've got and maybe a Day 2 project?

Just feels like justifying a Top-10 pick by how crazy some other teams went for CBs afterward...is like racing a lemming off a cliff and bragging about how you beat them.

I just don't see the alternative.

WR? Could get behind that, but it's also so deep.

Kinlaw? There's injury/motor questions. I would've been for him but he's not some spotless elite guy.

OL? Wirfs has questions if he'll move to LT. Becton has a lot of questions too. Loved both, but acting as if they werent risk/based on upside (like Henderson) would be a reach too.

I get you wanting to go O over D though. Everyone has their preference. I just don't think it's something that deserves "this was a reach" given both deserved/were rated in those spots and the upside matches it.

2 minutes ago, pwny said:

I don't dislike either selection. But I'm underwhelmed.

Brown/Simmons and Jefferson would've been more sexy for sure.

Just not sure what would've been better at 9. But I'm also documented as viewing those after the top D guys all in a fairly similar light.

4 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

You act like NFL teams go from having a guy way down the board to pushing him into the top 10 based purely on a combine...

Go watch his games/tape. Go check what Crocker, Sims, etc. talked about with him. Go see how freaky athletic he is (with work ethic/good tape). 

Act as if this is some out of the field pick. He's been heavily viewed as a top 15 pick since teams got the rundown from actual NFL teams. Who cares what media mocks said? Watch him.

I’m not going of what the media I’m using that a measuring stick. We can go have gentleman’s beat on who has bigger impact for there team and you can pick either Wirfs or Jeudy for me I’m sure I’d win easily.. This team has yet to grasp the concept of priorities between need, bpa, verses drafting players where they should be drafted. 

2 minutes ago, DuvalsKing said:

I’m not going of what the media I’m using that a measuring stick. We can go have gentleman’s beat on who has bigger impact for there team and you can pick either Wirfs or Jeudy for me I’m sure I’d win easily.. This team has yet to grasp the concept of priorities between need, bpa, verses drafting players where they should be drafted. 

Wirfs has major questions and a lot view him as a guard. You wanna take a guard at 9?

Literally going to have guys like Mims, Pittman, Hamler, Shenault, Higgins, etc. at WR.

You take into account how deep the draft is at all over the board.

15 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Maybe it's an optimistic outlook. But plenty of WR, Safeties, OL left that I like. Edge and corner? Ehh. Not nearly the same caliber.

I will say, i'm kinda excited about the crop of Day 2 Safeties that look like they could still be left.  Though we probably won't be in on that anyway.  We've got Leonard Fournette to replace with one of those picks!

Still a couple project OTs with some upside who wouldn't be bad with our 2nd.  But would feel decidedly like passing on the rich "top tier" this year, to grab one of the "last guys with clear upside".

6 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Brown/Simmons and Jefferson would've been more sexy for sure.

Just not sure what would've been better at 9. But I'm also documented as viewing those after the top D guys all in a fairly similar light.

It's a passing league, and we have just spent year after year after year ignoring the offensive passing game. I'm just underwhelmed by what is probably going to be yet another anemic offense this year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tugboat said:

I will say, i'm kinda excited about the crop of Day 2 Safeties that look like they could still be left.  Though we probably won't be in on that anyway.  We've got Leonard Fournette to replace with one of those picks!

Still a couple project OTs with some upside who wouldn't be bad with our 2nd.  But would feel decidedly like passing on the rich "top tier" this year, to grab one of the "last guys with clear upside".

We literally have 3 4ths and 3 5ths. Trades are going to happen.

Charles would be fantastic. I'm more in on a guard. Get a project OT behind Cam Rob to learn/push him.

Just now, pwny said:

It's a passing league, and we have just spent year after year after year ignoring the offensive passing game. I'm just underwhelmed by what is probably going to be yet another anemic offense this year.

I just feel like given this WR class you can grab a stud at 42 or somewhere in round 2. There's so many guys I like with different skillsets.

Several super intriguing RBs too.

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

I just feel like given this WR class you can grab a stud at 42 or somewhere in round 2. There's so many guys I like with different skillsets.

Several super intriguing RBs too.

Maybe. And I wouldn't be shocked to even see them trade up and do what they did with Lee and Robinson. But this is the third straight year than we've completely ignored the offense day 1; third straight year we've gone DL day 1. It just feels a bit deflating to not see an offensive playmaker early yet again.

Last 6 years, our first-round picks have been 4 DL, 2 CBs, and 1 RB. In a league that's focused on scoring points through the air. It just seems a bit reductive to run back the same draft plan year after year.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, pwny said:

Yeah.  That's what really just has this feeling so deflating.

It's a draft that was billed pretty much across the board as having this rich wealth of WR and OT/OLine in the top-end.  Positions where do we have clear needs in that all important aspect of the game, and in those sort of ranges.  Just fell straight in their laps.  Instead...they're on a treadmill trying to replace the defensive players as they leave, and not really keeping up.  Not really touching the offense until Day 2.

Just now, pwny said:

Maybe. And I wouldn't be shocked to even see them trade up and do what they did with Lee and Robinson. But this is the third straight year than we've completely ignored the offense day 1; third straight year we've gone DL day 1. It just feels a bit deflating to not see an offensive playmaker early yet again.

Last 6 years, our first-round picks have been 4 DL, 2 CBs, and 1 RB. In a league that's focused on scoring points through the air. It just seems a bit reductive to run back the same draft plan year after year.

Fair, all fair critiques.

I would've preferred to put Minshew in the best spot too truthfully. Just think value/positions made sense given the fact they needed help at both spots and the depth isn't great (CB is ok in round 2 though).

If they can nab a WR like I mentioned, a RB, and a guard in round 4 though...