2020 Draft: Day One

pwny

Just now, .Buzz said:

Also, said they announced him as an OLB. Did they just tip we're switching to a 3-4? Or a SLB?

Doubt it. I think they have positions already written out for players on the cards the give to Goodell.

I'm totally fine with the player at 20.  One of the last few real "1st round talents" left.  Kinda boom/bust to me, but there's upside there and at least it's recognizing the importance of pass rush.  Could be interesting if they really are going to more 3-4 looks with Chaisson and Allen.

Just so depressing to come away from a draft day with two 1st round picks, feeling like we're going in circles and getting nowhere.  Like we're in a sinking boat bailing like madmen, but the water is coming in faster than we can bail it out.

It's not exciting.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tugboat said:

I'm totally fine with the player at 20.  One of the last few real "1st round talents" left.  Kinda boom/bust to me, but there's upside there and at least it's recognizing the importance of pass rush.  Could be interesting if they really are going to more 3-4 looks with Chaisson and Allen.

Just so depressing to come away from a draft day with two 1st round picks, feeling like we're going in circles and getting nowhere.  Like we're in a sinking boat bailing like madmen, but the water is coming in faster than we can bail it out.

It's not exciting.

I feel that. It's tough given the fact the two guys we drafted are replacing the guys we had elite guys at.

But this is a retool/rebuild and we knew we had to fix those spots. 

• Like 1

Just now, KhanYouDigIt said:

So we took replacements for Jalen and Yan pretty much.

The defense needed an infusion of talent. Henderson and Chaisson is a good start.

The help for Minshew will come tomorrow I would think.

There's a lot of good WRs.

I wanted one at 20, but what are you getting at edge after 20? YGM and Epenesa are more big end types.

11 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Also, said they announced him as an OLB. Did they just tip we're switching to a 3-4? Or a SLB?

No he plays OLB in LSUs 3-4 scheme but he gets to put his hand in the ground because they run a variation of the 5-2 as well at LSU.

Edited by DuvalsKing

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

I feel that. It's tough given the fact the two guys we drafted are replacing the guys we had elite guys at.

But this is a retool/rebuild and we knew we had to fix those spots. 

With as many holes as this team has, yeah...it was always going to be a bit of a rebuilding process at this point.  Just really would've loved to see them come away from a draft with a really strong top-end at WR and OT, starting to "rebuild" with some actual weapons and/or support to give Minshew a fighting chance to look decent and at least make the season more interesting to watch while they lose most of the games.  At least find out if the guy is going to be "The Guy" or not.  At least one of the top picks to help somewhere.

Instead, feels like we kinda mined two positions in the draft that don't feel very strong at all.  To basically replace two great players that they drove out of town...with a pair of athletic but raw "maybes" at the same spots.

Just now, Tugboat said:

With as many holes as this team has, yeah...it was always going to be a bit of a rebuilding process at this point.  Just really would've loved to see them come away from a draft with a really strong top-end at WR and OT, starting to "rebuild" with some actual weapons and/or support to give Minshew a fighting chance to look decent and at least make the season more interesting to watch while they lose most of the games.  At least find out if the guy is going to be "The Guy" or not.  At least one of the top picks to help somewhere.

Instead, feels like we kinda mined two positions in the draft that don't feel very strong at all.  To basically replace two great players that they drove out of town...with a pair of athletic but raw "maybes" at the same spots.

I know you don't feel like it is, but Henderson was viewed close with Okudah as the top two corners.

K'Lavon was the last true good edge after Chase Young unless you wanted more of a big edge.

WR is so deep. You can grab a RG in the mid rounds that could end up being legit good. LT I get the worry but I also think Cam is better than what we had a lot of other positions when you compare them.

3 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

There's a lot of good WRs.

I wanted one at 20, but what are you getting at edge after 20? YGM and Epenesa are more big end types.

Could've grabbed Greenard or Zuniga later, if we desperately needed to fill out our Gator quota.  xD  I kinda like Okawara as maybe a Day 2 type of project too.  But yeah...it is a bit of a desert out there when it comes to real dynamic edge rushers in this class.  We grabbed basically the second of two first round caliber guys, and the other went at #2.

But it's one of those situations where...i just hate mining the draft for a weak position, because of a gaping hole you've created/left standing...and because you're afraid if you don't get one now, you might not get one worth anything at all.

Eat the meat of the draft.  Don't reach to pick through the naked bones.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tugboat said:

Their essential just sticking with there original game plan on how to build a franchise.. they’ll get a middling receiver that’ll become some what decent player around yr 3. And a few try hards in the middle rounds who’ll be starters here but 2nd team on their next ball club. It’s what you call insanity.

Just now, Tugboat said:

Could've grabbed Greenard or Zuniga later, if we desperately needed to fill out our Gator quota.  xD  I kinda like Okawara as maybe a Day 2 type of project too.  But yeah...it is a bit of a desert out there when it comes to real dynamic edge rushers in this class.  We grabbed basically the second of two first round caliber guys, and the other went at #2.

But it's one of those situations where...i just hate mining the draft for a weak position, because of a gaping hole you've created/left standing...and because you're afraid if you don't get one now, you might not get one worth anything at all.

Eat the meat of the draft.  Don't reach to pick through the naked bones.

See, that's the thing. Henderson was viewed by many with elite potential as a man corner. Chaisson has been viewed as a mid round 1 guy for a while with great upside.

You're getting the last top players at their position while leaving the positions with plenty left for the rest of the draft in my eyes. 

Maybe it's an optimistic outlook. But plenty of WR, Safeties, OL left that I like. Edge and corner? Ehh. Not nearly the same caliber.

8 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I know you don't feel like it is, but Henderson was viewed close with Okudah as the top two corners.

K'Lavon was the last true good edge after Chase Young unless you wanted more of a big edge.

WR is so deep. You can grab a RG in the mid rounds that could end up being legit good. LT I get the worry but I also think Cam is better than what we had a lot of other positions when you compare them.

Show me the person who came into this process outside of the Jags who had CJ Henderson as the 10th best player or higher in this draft.

Edited by DuvalsKing

1 minute ago, DuvalsKing said:

Show me the person who came into this process outside of the Jags who had CJ Henderson as the 10th best player or higher in this draft.

You act like NFL teams go from having a guy way down the board to pushing him into the top 10 based purely on a combine...

Go watch his games/tape. Go check what Crocker, Sims, etc. talked about with him. Go see how freaky athletic he is (with work ethic/good tape). 

Act as if this is some out of the field pick. He's been heavily viewed as a top 15 pick since teams got the rundown from actual NFL teams. Who cares what media mocks said? Watch him.