2020 Draft: Day One

pwny

17 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Wirfs has major questions and a lot view him as a guard. You wanna take a guard at 9?

Literally going to have guys like Mims, Pittman, Hamler, Shenault, Higgins, etc. at WR.

You take into account how deep the draft is at all over the board.

How many of those players you think are going to step in and give you immediate juice on offense?

Edited by DuvalsKing
  • Like 1

Just now, .Buzz said:

Fair, all fair critiques.

I would've preferred to put Minshew in the best spot too truthfully. Just think value/positions made sense given the fact they needed help at both spots and the depth isn't great (CB is ok in round 2 though).

If they can nab a WR like I mentioned, a RB, and a guard in round 4 though...

I agree that the value makes sense given who was there. I'm just underwhelmed that it wasn't something else, given the things I outlined.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DuvalsKing said:

How many of those players you think are going to step in and give you immediate juice on offense?

Mims may need some work (although at the Senior Bowl he showed he could run the whole route tree). The others? Not sure I do see a big learning curve.

15 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

We literally have 3 4ths and 3 5ths. Trades are going to happen.

Charles would be fantastic. I'm more in on a guard. Get a project OT behind Cam Rob to learn/push him.

Sure, it'd help if we can parlay some of that excess Day 3 currency into some more, or better Day 2 picks.

There are a couple OT projects that might have something, but beyond that...this notion of some later round OT project providing any kind of "push" to Cam for the upcoming season at this point, seems naive.  Teams hoover up the guys with the athletic traits and significant upside as a potential starting LT early.  Realistically...you're drafting a swing tackle who stands a very small chance of miraculously developing way beyond expectations over time.  And if you don't address the LT spot, and Cam continues to be totally inadequate there...your offensive line is going to continue to stink all of next year and make your offense practically unwatchable, no matter what you do at RG.

I mean, you could practically draft more than half the LSU OLine tomorrow, if so inclined.  xD  But i don't know that it's really the path to success for an NFL team.

14 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I just feel like given this WR class you can grab a stud at 42 or somewhere in round 2. There's so many guys I like with different skillsets.

Several super intriguing RBs too.

I like quite a few of the RBs too.  But if you don't fix the OLine, it's not going to amount to great strides for the offense.  More realistically...they'll probably take another spin on that treadmill, drafting a RB Day 2, trade Top-10 pick Fournette for a later Day 3 pick...and make the new guy run behind the same weak OLine -  wondering why it's not working???

We could draft a RB i love tomorrow, but what they did today still kinda looms over it like a cloud, knowing it probably won't work like it should.

It's just frustrating.  Same with WR.  Even if you can draft a "good" WR prospect tomorrow (and there are guys to really like), maybe they do blow up like ARob - but they're all a clear tier below those other guys as prospects, and there are reasons for that.  Adding another good solid #2/3WR...i'm not sure how much that moves the needle for this offense.  Especially if it continues to rely on Minshew just scrambling around inventing plays on the fly because the OLine was so porous it made our big dollar FA QB totally unplayable.

It's kinda...slapping a quick coat of paint over the rust to say, "we addressed it" and check it off the "list", rather than focusing on building strengths in the part of the game that really wins these days...and trying to "fix" those spots fundamentally for the long-term with top-tier talent.  Shooting for, "good enough maybe" across the board.  It's basically been the problem with Dave and this regime all along.  Is it going to work better this time for some reason?

19 minutes ago, DuvalsKing said:

I feel that about Bryan Edwards but you can probably get him round 3-4.

Went with the whole prospect who was a 1st round lock during the season then tested slow in the draft process, similar build, great college production. I am also a fan of Bryan Edwards if the top WR available are gone.

2 minutes ago, DuvalsKing said:

So much for Clyde Edwards-Helraine KC snatched him he’ll be Kareem Hunts replacement. Prefect replacement.

Yeah.  He's gonna be nuts in that offense.  Really talented, and a perfect scheme fit for what they do in KC.

2 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Sure, it'd help if we can parlay some of that excess Day 3 currency into some more, or better Day 2 picks.

There are a couple OT projects that might have something, but beyond that...this notion of some later round OT project providing any kind of "push" to Cam for the upcoming season at this point, seems naive.  Teams hoover up the guys with the athletic traits and significant upside as a potential starting LT early.  Realistically...you're drafting a swing tackle who stands a very small chance of miraculously developing way beyond expectations over time.  And if you don't address the LT spot, and Cam continues to be totally inadequate there...your offensive line is going to continue to stink all of next year and make your offense practically unwatchable, no matter what you do at RG.

I mean, you could practically draft more than half the LSU OLine tomorrow, if so inclined.  xD  But i don't know that it's really the path to success for an NFL team.

I like quite a few of the RBs too.  But if you don't fix the OLine, it's not going to amount to great strides for the offense.  More realistically...they'll probably take another spin on that treadmill, drafting a RB Day 2, trade Top-10 pick Fournette for a later Day 3 pick...and make the new guy run behind the same weak OLine -  wondering why it's not working???

We could draft a RB i love tomorrow, but what they did today still kinda looms over it like a cloud, knowing it probably won't work like it should.

It's just frustrating.  Same with WR.  Even if you can draft a "good" WR prospect tomorrow (and there are guys to really like), maybe they do blow up like ARob - but they're all a clear tier below those other guys as prospects, and there are reasons for that.  Adding another good solid #2/3WR...i'm not sure how much that moves the needle for this offense.  Especially if it continues to rely on Minshew just scrambling around inventing plays on the fly because the OLine was so porous it made our big dollar FA QB totally unplayable.

It's kinda...slapping a quick coat of paint over the rust to say, "we addressed it" and check it off the "list", rather than focusing on building strengths in the part of the game that really wins these days...and trying to "fix" those spots fundamentally for the long-term with top-tier talent.  Shooting for, "good enough maybe" across the board.  It's basically been the problem with Dave and this regime all along.  Is it going to work better this time for some reason?

WRs are generally found outside of round 1. The list of WRs taken in round 1 hasn't been amazing, especially in the top 10 over the years.

We saw guys like Brown, DK, McLaurin, etc. last year go in the mid rounds. Just don't think you need to take that high, this draft is even more so like that.

OG is always best in the mid rounds and not round 1.