Niners select Javon Kinlaw DT at 14

49erurtaza

18 minutes ago, Forge said:

I have concerns about the weight. We will see how that works out I'm curious if the strategy is to have him stay where he's at, lose weight or what. 

Like, too much to move around consistently, or you think he's overweight?

Here's JL with Peter King:

Even with DeForest [Buckner], one of the things that we had as a stated goal this offseason was to get a little bit bigger. DeForest is a big tall man, but he was 285-290 pounds, and we felt at times, playing Seattle with those huge guards that guys get worn down,” Lynch said. “One thing with Javon [Kinlaw], he’s 325 pounds, and a lean 325 pounds, if you can believe it ... I think he’s a perfect fit for what we do.”

It seems like, at least initially, they might keep him where he's at and see what he can do. I think eventually, he will slim down to around 310 with better conditioning. If he starts to creep up to the 340 area, then I'm going to get worried about his movement skills.

1 minute ago, NinerNation21 said:

I think its a decent amount of stress to carry on your body. Some people can, some can't. He's already had some knee and back issues, and some of it is recurring ("tendinitis"). I am not a fan of knee and back issues on a defensive line. They are scary. These are the type of things that keep Ziggy and Dee Ford off the field sometimes. 

40 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think its a decent amount of stress to carry on your body. Some people can, some can't. He's already had some knee and back issues, and some of it is recurring ("tendinitis"). I am not a fan of knee and back issues on a defensive line. They are scary. These are the type of things that keep Ziggy and Dee Ford off the field sometimes. 

That makes sense and it's a worry of mine as well. I just get the feeling that the 49ers are going to see what he can do this year, then adjust his body composition after they get some eyes and data on him. I could see him playing 2021 at the 310-315 range. And who knows, maybe his playing weight is less. Guys bulk up for the combine.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

That makes sense and it's a worry of mine as well. I just get the feeling that the 49ers are going to see what he can do this year, then adjust his body composition after they get some eyes and data on him. I could see him playing 2021 at the 310-315 range. And who knows, maybe his playing weight is less. Guys bulk up for the combine.

Absolutely. I mean, he weighed in at 310 at the senior bowl I think, then 325 at the combine. 100% that a good chunk of that is fake weight. 

1 hour ago, NinerNation21 said:

Here's JL with Peter King:

It seems like, at least initially, they might keep him where he's at and see what he can do. I think eventually, he will slim down to around 310 with better conditioning. If he starts to creep up to the 340 area, then I'm going to get worried about his movement skills.

Isn't it common for a lot of players to lean down during the season? In the offseason, you bulk up and gain strength and all, but during the season, you have to recover from injuries or just general soreness, and you work on endurance moreso than on gaining or maintaining mass and strength. So I suppose that Buck might very well have come in weighing 305-310 at training camp, but by season's end, he'd play around 285lbs. Didn't Patrick Willis usually start seasons around 240, and finished around 225-230? Now, if Kinlaw comes in at TC around 325-330, and a lean 325 at that, he'll be a load for everyone, and will still be a load to move by season's end, even if he's down to 310-315.

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Don't worry, we need him to be in shape for 5 years, then we can trade him for a top 15 pick and draft his replacement. Then the tendinitis can derail his career on another team!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...