Niners select Javon Kinlaw DT at 14

49erurtaza

2 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

Well they made both AA and DeFo drop some weight. I think he'll play around 310, if that. Taller, linear guys need a little more weight to anchor better against the run imo so I wouldn't want him lower than 310. 

If he's playing a UT / 3t role I think 300 is fine. Obviously Buckner was highly effective in the role and he was in the 290's. If we want him to be the pass rusher (which is the reason everyone wanted him), I feel like 300 is a good spot for him. If he's playing a 1t role, I would get wanting him a little bigger, though I suspect that will remain DJ's role. But Kinlaw is very leggy, and as you said, a linear straight legged type, and with twitchy knees, I kind of want to reduce some of that pressure. 

1 hour ago, Chrissooner49er said:

So I'm watching the obligatory highlights of Kinlaw after we draft him last night (with a lot less enthusiasm than expected) and one of my sons looks at the tv and says "I don't know, dad. He looks pretty impressive." Not that he knows much about football, but it did encourage me a tiny bit. 

It's very cool that his dad is a longtime 9ers fan and the clip of him laying out on the floor is memorable.

Yeah, I watched him last night. Highlights mind you, but they were very impressive. I can get why people loved him. He absolutely destroyed the elite competition too. Like  like rag dolling dudes.

24 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Hopefully the next Sapp or Randle, and not the next Kentwan Balmer. 

So he has to be a HOF or bust? C'mon I get not liking a player but a good to great player is worth the selection. In 2018 I wanted Derwin James and he turned into an all-pro in his rookie yr. McG doesn't look to ever be an all-pro level player but he's a good RT and I can live with that. That's how Kinlaw should be viewed. Off course we want every pick to be Bosa level but that's not reality. Now don't get me wrong I think he has all-pro level ability if he reached his ceiling. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, mw2noobbuster said:

Bet on physical raw specimen like Kinlaw. Just off his strength and his physical attributes, he's going to make an impact from day one. The thing that hurts Thomas is he doesn't have any true advantage over OL, especially on the outside. His quickness helps against guards but he can't beat you with the ways that someone like Armstead or Buckner or soon to be Kinlaw can beat you with.

Kinlaw>Brown, I truly believe that. 

• Like 2

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Add Mike Renner as a big fan of the pick. Said you can get Brown's of the world in every draft, but guys like Kinlaw aren't available ever year. I liked one thing he said, build a roster with eliteness over completeness. 

100%, we see it every year. A gigantic, space-eating DT gets pushed up the board and over drafted. Guys like Danny Shelton and Vita Vea come to mind. These are day-2 guys that get hyped up. Kinlaw is different because he can play the run, but he's a pass rusher through and through. 

I was just watching some of his highlights and holy smokes he's quick off the line. For a man his size, he's quick and powerful. And, I LOVE LOVE LOVE that he gets his hands up when he can't get home. I've always been disappointed by Armstead, Buckner, and Taylor for not batting down more passes at their height. I don't know if it's a coaching thing or it's just not something they think about often, but Kinlaw does it a lot. I saw 4 ints he forced by beating his man before anyone else is off the line and getting into the face of the QB.   

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Add Mike Renner as a big fan of the pick. Said you can get Brown's of the world in every draft, but guys like Kinlaw aren't available ever year. I liked one thing he said, build a roster with eliteness over completeness.

I think that's right, and the Shanalynch FO has learned to target raw physical dominance more as time has gone on. We've moved on from drafting lumps of ice cream like Thomas and Pettis.

22 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Makes sense, he's a pff guy. They really like Kinlaw. #13 I think (brown like 15/16). 

31 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So the DL once again is pretty jam packed. So who makes the roster and who gets cut? 

DE-Ford, Bosa, Blair, Street TBD

DT-Armstead, Jones, Kinlaw, Taylor, Thomas. 

Thomas and Street obviously can rotate inside and out. But it's not ideal. Still really want us to try and take a speed rusher at some point. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So the DL once again is pretty jam packed. So who makes the roster and who gets cut? 

I don't think it changes all that much. Kinlaw for Buckner, anything else really that different? Maybe there's a guy or two who starts the season with the team because Blair / Taylor aren't ready, but otherwise, i Just don't think there's much difference