Niners select Javon Kinlaw DT at 14

49erurtaza

5 minutes ago, sherm said:

How many teams can lose their top pass rusher and be ok? Injuries are gonna happen...can't really plan for those. Load up on the DL and hope for health. 

Some teams have depth at edge. Behind Bosa and Ford who do we have? We'd either have to keep AA on the edge on passing downs or rely on Ronnie Blair (big fan of his btw) who is coming off an injury and Solomon Thomas, who has proven he is not effective at creating pressure from the edge. My statement was more in reference to getting some sort of pressure in the passing game from the edge if we lose someone. I think our run defense would survive much better. Point is, I think we should invest in an edge player in the 5th with some pass rushing potential. Jonathan Garvin may be available and he fits that profile pretty well. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sherm said:

So he has to be a HOF or bust? C'mon I get not liking a player but a good to great player is worth the selection. In 2018 I wanted Derwin James and he turned into an all-pro in his rookie yr. McG doesn't look to ever be an all-pro level player but he's a good RT and I can live with that. That's how Kinlaw should be viewed. Off course we want every pick to be Bosa level but that's not reality. Now don't get me wrong I think he has all-pro level ability if he reached his ceiling. 

I guess I should have said more closer to those guys than closer to Balmer. Doesn't have to be HOF guy. A Pro Bowl level guy would be good. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm not going to lie...I love that last clip. 

That last clip is why he's a Niner imo. Forget the physical gifts, his motor and work ethic seems tailor-made for our D-Line room and Kocurek.

Edited by 757-NINER

Ryan Sakamoto has been unbearable. I get not loving the prospects, but I really can’t force myself to call Aiyuk an unforgivable reach. I’m still pretty happy with what we did even if it wasn’t grabbing Lamb or Jeudy. Neither of which are Julio/Calvin level prospects.

25 minutes ago, John232 said:

Ryan Sakamoto has been unbearable. I get not loving the prospects, but I really can’t force myself to call Aiyuk an unforgivable reach. I’m still pretty happy with what we did even if it wasn’t grabbing Lamb or Jeudy. Neither of which are Julio/Calvin level prospects.

That's stupid, and Sakamoto is an ignorant meathead. Aiyuk was the 6th wide receiver off the board, taken in the tier of players in which he was projected to go. He's allowed to not like the pick, but calling it a reach doesn't make any sense.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, John232 said:

I'd still have liked to go Jeudy and then trade down from #31 to grab Blacklock or Elliot to be honest. But really what I would have LOVED to do is go Wirfs at #13 and then take best available WR at #31 that fits the system. Heck, a trade down from there would have been fine.

But in terms of just the players? I like both Kinlaw and Aiyuk. 

• Like 2

On 4/23/2020 at 7:33 PM, sherm said:

Yeah after we failed to get Suh that made me feel Kinlaw was a target. The last few wks with all the wr talk got my off that. I said earlier that we didn't have anyone on our roster to replace Buck...Thomas was not a legit option. Bosa, Kinlaw, Jones, AA, and Ford should keep our DL a strength. Not even including our depth. 

I felt the same way. Solly is just a rotational player at best. Now we know Lynch feels the same way.

7 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I'd still have liked to go Jeudy and then trade down from #31 to grab Blacklock or Elliot to be honest. But really what I would have LOVED to do is go Wirfs at #13 and then take best available WR at #31 that fits the system. Heck, a trade down from there would have been fine.

Apparently Kyle wasn't that high on Jeudy.  Chris Simms said it when he was ranking his top 5 WR's of this class.  Kyle pretty much confirmed it yesterday when he said Lamb and Aiyuk were the top two WR's that caught his eye. 

Edited by Swift21
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Wirfs and kinlaw were two sides of the same coin. Elite elite physical traits, great work ethic, phenomenal people, raw ability that needs refinement 

I felt OT was a bigger need than DT, so wirfs was my first choice, but I really like kinlaw and honestly he looks like a talent you can only get in the top 5. 

Kinlaw, Ford, bosa, DJ Jones, AA is BY FAR the best DL in the NFL 

16 hours ago, Forge said:

I'm not going to lie...I love that last clip. 

He’s so long and so strong and generally just goes through people. On the downside, guys get extended early and get their butts low and their weight over their toes to get extremely prepared for it. Any time he flashes a counter, it’s unstoppable. There was a snap against Missouri where he flashed pulling cloth for one of the first times and just yanked the dude forward to the ground because his weight was all forward ready for the bull rush. Anything like that - pulling cloth, dip and rip, anything that he figures out - is going to be immensely dangerous because if you aren’t fully geared up for the bull rush he will mow you down. He’s too long and too low and too strong. He plays with nasty leverage for such a tall guy.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I'm still don't get why people can't see the difference in talent the nfl viewed Kinlaw from the other DT. Jeudy/Kinlaw similar range in prospects so I get that...but those other DT didn't go until pick 40(Blacklock) and pick 88(Elliott). A few others went into between those 2. That's a huge gap from 14 to 40. So for me is Jeudy that much more of a prospect than Aiyuk to make up for the difference in the gab between Kinlaw and Blacklock? 

To be clear their on field play will determine how good the draft really was. Just some random talking points. 

• Like 2

Insignificant but really cool: Both of our picks have parents who are fans of the team. Aiyuk's mom is a 9ers fan and they showed a picture of him wearing a 9ers shirt at age 4. Kinlaw's dad fell out of his seat (they keep showing that clip--pretty funny) because he couldn't believe his son was drafted by his favorite team. Meaningless in the draft analysis, but quite cool and fun.

• Like 2