Niners select Javon Kinlaw DT at 14

49erurtaza

1 minute ago, Forge said:

We didn't really get the fourth. That got shipped to Minnesota. I know technically we got it, but hard to consider it that way

Well, we used it as ammo to move up and get another player that the Front Office wanted, without it, they don't get Aiyuk. But I see what you mean. 

So I really put a lot of respect on Jeremiah. He was basically creaming his pants over what we did. I've brought it up before, but this isn't just a "we got rid of buck and got his replacement..cap relief" This also allows us to move on from Armstead without fear or trepidation if Kinlaw actually reaches his ceiling. There's a very real scenario where in 3 years we have our core foundational guys in their prime and a bunch of money coming off the books with Ford, Armstead, Kwon, Sherm, Tartt, Ward, RB's, Jimmy G, Ku'ann and Richburg. Obviously guys are getting extended by then, but it's interesting to project how this affects the long term ramifcations.

Just now, John232 said:

Forge, you’re wrong all the time. So be happy. 

There was definitely that one time 😂

But seriously, thinking about it, I think I have this reaction to just about anything we draft. I said yesterday that I was concerned about Ruggs as much as I was excited

4 minutes ago, sherm said:

He's built solid but I agree 310-315lbs would be ideal. 

Well they made both AA and DeFo drop some weight. I think he'll play around 310, if that. Taller, linear guys need a little more weight to anchor better against the run imo so I wouldn't want him lower than 310. 

Edited by 757-NINER

So I'm watching the obligatory highlights of Kinlaw after we draft him last night (with a lot less enthusiasm than expected) and one of my sons looks at the tv and says "I don't know, dad. He looks pretty impressive." Not that he knows much about football, but it did encourage me a tiny bit. 

It's very cool that his dad is a longtime 9ers fan and the clip of him laying out on the floor is memorable.

The more I think about this pick, the less I hate it. I mean, I like Kinlaw as a player, but I hated that we passed on Lamb, Jeudy, and Wirfs. It makes me think that the Ruggs love was for real. I think Ruggs was our #1 choice and when the Raiders pulled the rug out from under us, we went with plan b.

Kinlaw is raw, but he's a superior athlete, I think he's even more athletic than Buckner was coming out. The thing I like most about Kinlaw is that he wins with his athleticism and his motor runs red hot. I think when Kris Kocurek gets his hands on Kinlaw and coaches up his technique plus learning for the master technician in Nick Bosa, we could see Kinlaw being a true game wrecker in a year or 2. 

Kinlaw really is Kris Kocurek's ball of high-grade clay. Now make us a monster. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

The more I think about this pick, the less I hate it. I mean, I like Kinlaw as a player, but I hated that we passed on Lamb, Jeudy, and Wirfs. It makes me think that the Ruggs love was for real. I think Ruggs was our #1 choice and when the Raiders pulled the rug out from under us, we went with plan b.

Kinlaw is raw, but he's a superior athlete, I think he's even more athletic than Buckner was coming out. The thing I like most about Kinlaw is that he wins with his athleticism and his motor runs red hot. I think when Kris Kocurek gets his hands on Kinlaw and coaches up his technique plus learning for the master technician in Nick Bosa, we could see Kinlaw being a true game wrecker in a year or 2. 

Kinlaw really is Kris Kocurek's ball of high-grade clay. Now make us a monster. 

It was said somewhere that Kocurek was sending Kyle and John pics of Kinlaw often or even daily....sounds a bit creepy! :/ :D

• Like 1

Just now, Chrissooner49er said:

It was said somewhere that Kocurek was sending Kyle and John pics of Kinlaw often or even daily....sounds a bit creepy! :/ :D

Kocurek gets to play Dr. Frankenstein. He gets to take a guy whose built like a greek god and moves like a linebacker and inject all of his wisdom into him. Kinlaw could be scary good if he has the willingness to learn from the staff and his teammates. 

I've thought all along that Kinlaw was the #1 IDL in the class. I was ignoring him during this process because I wanted Lamb or Jeudy so badly, but here we are.

Also, in my post you quoted, I mentioned that I thought Ruggs was our #1 choice, I think I was wrong:

As you know, you’ve got a fellow on Gamecock already on the roster. How well do you know WR Deebo Samuel? Has he contacted you since the pick was made? And, what are your thoughts about joining him in Santa Clara?

Deebo called me the other day and told me I was coming to San Francisco and I just texted Deebo. So, me and Deebo, we’ve got a pretty good relationship.”

16 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Well they made both AA and DeFo drop some weight. I think he'll play around 310, if that. Taller, linear guys need a little more weight to anchor better against the run imo so I wouldn't want him lower than 310. 

Excited about a young guy like Kinlaw being around all those workaholics on our defense. No way he doesn't get that bug...especially with his background.