With the 76th pick in the 2020 draft the Bucs select Ke'Shawn Vaugh | RB | Vanderbilt

bucsfan333

Ke'Shawn Vaughn, RB, Vanderbilt

Strengths: Big-play potential, emerging passing-game value

Weaknesses: Vision, consistency

TOMPA BAY BRADYFICATION PROJECT, PHASE III: Upgrade the running game. 

Tom Brady came to rely on running backs like Sony Michel and James White late in his Patriots career not because his skills were diminishing (heretics who suggest such a thing are burnt at the stake), but because it’s important to keep defenses off-balance. (That was never very important when Brady was in his prime, but…ahhh, get away from me with those pitchforks and torches. I’ll stop!) 

The Buccaneers averaged only 3.7 yards per carry last year and 3.9 and 3.7 yards per carry in the previous two seasons, respectively. Ronald Jones II improved in 2019 after a miserable rookie year, but Brady needs a committee of backs who can run, catch and block.

Vaughn is known for some huge games in tough Vandy losses. He rushed for 243 yards and two touchdowns on only 13 carries in the 2018 Texas Bowl against Baylor (this brief cut-up is a much-watch hype video for Bucs fans), but the Commodores still lost 45-38. 

He recalled that day when speaking to reporters at the combine. 

"Before the game started, we had a little break. I was in the game room playing. I was like, 'Air hockey, I won air hockey. 2K, I won 2K. Madden, I won Madden.' There was another game I won. I was like, 'No, I'm done.' I just kept winning, so I feel like that just kind of sparked that whole drive that I had that game."

Imagine for a moment what it must have been like for Vaughn's teammates to have lost to him in air hockey, 2K, Madden and some other game (it's OK to admit you were playing Super Smash Bros., Ke'Shawn), then go out and lose to Baylor. 

Vaughn also rushed for 130 yards and two touchdowns in a 66-38 loss to LSU in September. But in between his mammoth games are lots of ordinary ones, albeit for the conference's academic powerhouse against a brutal schedule. 

Vaughn doesn't always see cutback lanes and will unwisely bounce plays outside. When he finds a crease, however, he displays a remarkable combination of power and straight-ahead speed.

Vaughn made strides as a receiver in 2019, and he's an alert, physical pass protector. Those skills will keep him on a roster and in a rotation. His upside appears limited, but he's capable of having some Chris Carson-esque seasons as the rugged all-purpose guy if called upon. And on the Buccaneers' stacked offense, a Chris Carson type will look very, very good. 

If he can be anything like chris carson, then its a great pick.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

Probably worth clicking through.

Some of the highlights from this.

Could've stepped out for a decent gain. Cuts inside for a HUGE gain through contact.

Oooooooooooooooooof.

Gets small through a hole that doesn't appear to exist.

That pass pro rep looked like the Quenton Nelson rep everyone raved about; "always looking for work."

• Like 2

8 hours ago, djw4bucs said:

If he can be anything like chris carson, then its a great pick.

We were all conditioned thru the pre draft process that the Bucs were going to get one of the top 5 RBs.  Then, when that didn t happen, when they drafted a guy no one heard of, Bucs twitter went crazy.

I have no idea if Vaughn can play, but pretty confident he ll be able to learn a play book in this unique offseason playing at Vandy 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

We were all conditioned thru the pre draft process that the Bucs were going to get one of the top 5 RBs.  Then, when that didn t happen, when they drafted a guy no one heard of, Bucs twitter went crazy.

Absolutely this.

21 hours ago, ravishingone said:

I have no idea if Vaughn can play, but pretty confident he ll be able to learn a play book in this unique offseason playing at Vandy 

Absolutely! I wanted Taylor too but he was Not there.. when we talk about drafting à RB round 1 everybody freak out and say «we can draft one later, look around the league.. UDFA is also a place we can find gem... bla bla, » but when we go with one in the 3rd round who will fit very well with Rojo in the offense we critic the pick so much! Go Vaughn Go Bucs!!

• Like 2

I still don't know what they saw in him to draft him this high and over other Res like Zack Moss. He's had some good runs to show on the highlight reel.

What I don't like is when the QB over throws him, and he turns around putting his hands up at the QB like "wtf man?". Not a good attitude.

And, he certainly needs to work on his interviewing skills haha. 

Rotating in with Rojo, they might make a decent combo.