5 Up, 5 down - Game 3

theJ

Five up

1. Carl Lawson - what a day
  2. AJ Green had a nice day.  Worked his way open constantly, which really helped Andy.
  3. Defensive line in general - lots of sacks
  4. WJIII - can't think of any reason he shouldn't be playing more.  One of the better picks i've seen from this defense in a while.
  5. Joe Mixon - somehow averaged 3.4 YPC despite being hit in the backfield on just about every carry.

Five down

1. Randy Bullock - can't miss kicks
  2. Receivers outside of AJ - did any of them play?
  3. Michael Johnson - on a day where everyone got pressure, his biggest plays were when Rodgers rolled out and he was able to keep him to minimal gain.  Well, i guess you need a guy who gets stymied at the LOS every time to act as the spy.  Yeah, that's it.
  4. Offensive line - yet another game where they can't block.  Both in the pass, and especially in the run game.  
  5. Secondary - lots of PI calls and big gainers.  Can't give up those big plays if you want to play with the big boys.  

Honorable mention - Andy Dalton did not look as bad as Joe Flacco yesterday.

That Flacco performance was worse than anything Andy has done this year, hands down.

Edit: not that Andy was particularly good, but not Flacco bad!

Up

1. Offensive play calling (in the first half)- Lazor had Andy getting the ball out quick and was reminiscent to Hue's offense. Unfortunately we went full conservative mode in the 2nd half which you can't do in the NFL. 

2. The young guys- Mixon, Lawson, and WJ3 made some great plays for this team. 

3. Rotating offensive lineman- thought that was a great idea. Try to keep them fresh which should lead to at least average play. 

4. Get the ball to AJ.- got him involved a lot more which was good to see. 

5. Pressure on Rodgers- we generated a lot of pressure, although their line was pretty banged up so take it with a grain of salt. 

Down

1. Game management- as always

2. Missed field goal- blame Dalton for taking the sack instead of getting rid of it. But gotta make those kicks

3. Michael Johnson- what is he still doing out there 

4. Need to involve Gio a bit more

5. Defense allowing big plays- they played well for most of the game. But those big plays get the other team right back in it 

9 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

5. Pressure on Rodgers- we generated a lot of pressure, although their line was pretty banged up so take it with a grain of salt. 

I think against other QB's, some of those pressures turn into sacks.  Rodgers did a good job bouncing around in the pocket to avoid Lawson.  He was close on a few more where he beat the tackle, and Rodgers just bounced back or forward to avoid it.  He could have had a 5 sack day.

In other words, i think it was legitimate.  

3 hours ago, ochocinco4pres said:

Marvin loves to waste his timeouts on those things rather than trying to score or managing the clock. 

Five total time outs used in dead ball situations,  Twice to ice the kicker, the first play of overtime, the first play of another drive, plus the injury TO when they ran out of bounds.  I don't think that is what they are for.

Archived