Browns select TE Harrison Bryant at 115

zelbell

Just now, candyman93 said:

Kittle only put up 18 reps

That’s nearly 50% more than Bryant for perspective. 18 isn’t great, but it’s not a red flag either.

13 is a corner or slot receiver total. Ward did like 16 iirc.

And before the nonsense of “when’s the last time a bench was on the field” and like comments starts, it’s a general indication of who’s been in the weight room and overall strength, which is not irrelevant in the sport.

I don’t think players need to have crazy high reps, but you’d like to see more than this for a guy this size, at this position.

His ceiling is no where close to George Kittle who's the thicker, stronger athlete with better blocking ability.

However, Harrison Bryant is a really really good player who plays faster than time and fight to the very end in blocking despite his lack of play strength.

This is a really good pick at this time in the draft.

Outside of Devin Asiata who imo was the best TE in the draft, Harrison Bryant probably has the best career.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

You took my post more serious than intended

Yeah I’m not trying to kill the kid, complete opposite in fact, he’s probably my second favorite pick thus far.  

I do think he needs to get stronger though.  That said, losing weight and getting stronger are just about the two easiest things for a prospect to do. Fix your diet and hit the weight room and those things take care of themselves.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Kittle only put up 18 reps

Kittle had almost 34 inch arms much longer than Bryant.

Kittle also played with exponentially more play strength in college and his rookie year.

Functional Strength can be acquired; the will to block can't.

Harrison Bryant has the will but his functional strength is at least 2 years away.

He'll have time to develop and is already a great natural catcher of the ball.

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

That’s a huge deal to me

For sure, especially with a primarily wide zone scheme.

He’s not going to be asked to get play in-line and drive people off the ball.  He’s going to be asked to move, stay attached to his man and reach the next level of the defense.

He can be very good at those things in a year or two with the level of effort he gives.

• Like 2