The Nation vs Mayock (Gruden) 2020

drfrey13

9 hours ago, NYRaider said:

We likely would've lost #91 in that trade up (Muse gone). But we could've went Cameron Dantzler at #81 and took Robertson where we originally did, lol. 

Understand that could have been done but the idea of the thread is to put down the players we would have taken in each instance, to just say take a couple CBs then boom, we're all good is kind of laughable without putting actual names there 🙂

The decision not to trade up before 74 and pick Zack Baun was an epic miss.

The decision to target Muse over Phillips and trading back was also a big mistake. 

Other then that I like what they did in the Draft. Wish Kenny Robinson was Raider. I really like him.

• Like 1

First thing's first, I am generally happy with how the draft went, and I don't necessarily think any of the picks were egregiously bad (well, maybe 19). When you have a head coach with so much job security, the team is going to appear in his image so I'm going to do this with the same intentions the Raiders did.

To me, it's clear the Raiders wanted 3 things out of this draft: Speed at receiver; more offensive weapons, overall; and starting corner.

1.12 - Henry Ruggs, WR, Alabama: I had Lamb and Ruggs 1/2 in my big board before the draft, and I understand why the team went with Ruggs. He's very fast, tough, and has tremendous hands. Obviously the speed element is a key part of Gruden's offense. I don't think Ruggs will produce like a traditional #1 receiver, but he will have a big impact and is the type of player who doesn't come cheap in free agency.

1.19 - Laviska Shenault, WR/RB, Colorado: I wrote in the Arnette thread that I would have liked Queen here, but the staff seemed to want to add some unique offensive firepower when they drafted Bowden, and I think Shenault is a better version of what Bowden will be. Shenault is a supremely gifted athlete with excellent hands. He's not a good route runner, and I'm not sure he ever will be, but he can do a number of things from different places on the formation.

3.80 - Cameron Dantzler, CB, Mississippi State: Honestly, I'm not sure Dantzler is that far off of a day-one NFL prospect from Arnette and he has a higher upside. To me, they're within the same tier. He's a little handsy for the NFL game right now, but he has the type of aggression on the outside to make him effective in zone right away.

3.81 - Neville Gallimore, DT, Oklahoma: My comp for him was Maliek Collins. I don't think DT is a huge need for the Raiders right now, but Gallimore was easily a second-round guy for me. Skipping on Bryan Edwards is a bummer.

3.100 - Amik Robertson, CB, La Tech: Easily a good enough player to go earlier than where the Raiders took him.

4.109 - John Simpson, OG, Clemson: No problem with this pick. Guard depth will be important with Jackson possible on the move and Incognito aging.

4.139 - JR Reed, S, Georgia: He went undrafted, but Reed always popped off the screen when watching Georgia'sd defense. Great instincts and good-enough athleticism. He reminds me a lot of Eddie Jackson, who I also really liked coming out of Alabama.

Overall, this class would have made me the most excited based on the picks and players available. But, like I said, I generally happy with the actual draft class.

Edited by Rich7sena