Everything Offseason Programs (OTA's and more)

RaidersAreOne

Just now, Dessie said:

Totally agree but Morrows cap hit is $3.2m which is a lot for a backup.

And in what way does potentially taking that $3.2M off the books help us improve the roster this season? FWIW this is what the Athletic guys have had to say about Morrow and McMillian. 

Nicholas Morrow has stepped up as the third linebacker for the defense. He was just all right in 16 games and eight starts last season and registered 67 tackles, but has played pretty well in camp. The Raiders use their 4-2-5 sub package often, but Morrow has joined Cory Littleton and Nick Kwiatkoski when defensive coordinator Paul Guenther goes to his 4-3 base. Morrow has come up with a couple of interceptions and has been quick to the ball on running plays. The 6-foot, 225-pounder has come a long way since the Raiders signed him as an undrafted free agent in 2017 and seems on his way to securing a roster spot.

On Saturday, the Raiders traded a fourth-round pick in 2021 to the Dolphins for McMillan and a fifth-rounder. I wouldn’t say he was a starter, unless the opposing team lines up two tight ends and plans to run the ball. Cory Littleton and Nick Kwiatkoski are three-down linebackers (unless we were lied to), so McMillan will take some snaps away from Nicholas Morrow and maybe a roster spot from undrafted dynamo Javin White or former special-teams captain Kyle Wilber. But he definitely helps. 

12 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

And in what way does potentially taking that $3.2M off the books help us improve the roster this season? FWIW this is what the Athletic guys have had to say about Morrow and McMillian. 

Yeah I have got the Athletic subscription and have read them thanks. We only have $3m in cap space and leaves little room to makes moves if needed. Replacing Morrow with White for example saves circa 2.5m. Paying $3.2m for a LB who isnt seeing many snaps isn’t good value. 

Edited by Dessie

1 hour ago, oakdb36 said:

I think McMillan is starting week 1. And I wouldn't be surprised if Morrow is cut or traded in the next 2 weeks.

I could see that too... I was tempering my prediction to avoid having to defend myself and argue with someone.  But also I think Morrow does have a role on the team still... but at that price is tough.

6 minutes ago, Dessie said:

Yeah I have got the Athletic subscription and have read them thanks. We only have $3m in cap space and leaves little room to makes moves if needed. Replacing Morrow with White for example saves circa 2.5m. Paying $3.2m who isnt seeing many snaps isn’t good value. 

He'll likely be our third starter at LB and play the third most snaps of any LB on the roster. You can save the same amount by cutting David Sharpe and Nathan Peterman, both who are long shots to make the roster anyways. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Morrow roster spot is def not sealed. I said after they made the trade on Saturday. His spot is more in jeopardy and favors White. Can save 3.2 million. Makes no sense to pay 3.2 million for a LB that will be your 4th LB. 

The thing is though that he'll likely be our third starter and provides depth/a similar skill set to Littleton and Kwit. If one of those guys goes down you'd have to trust a rookie that's never even played the position to fill in as a 3 down LB. 

• Like 1

Just now, NYRaider said:

He'll likely be our third starter at LB and play the third most snaps of any LB on the roster. You can save the same amount by cutting David Sharpe and Nathan Peterman, both who are long shots to make the roster anyways. 

Nah McMillan is most likely our 3rd LB and he’s 2m cheaper. 

Just now, Dessie said:

Nah McMillan is most likely our 3rd LB and he’s 2m cheaper. 

Corey Littleton just said like a week ago that he's been playing SLB all training camp. While Morrow has gotten most of the 1st team reps at WLB and Vic Tafur said he doesn't see McMillian as a starter.

Just now, NYRaider said:

The thing is though that he'll likely be our third starter and provides depth/a similar skill set to Littleton and Kwit. If one of those guys goes down you'd have to trust a rookie that's never even played the position to fill in as a 3 down LB. 

McMillan will start over Morrow. You don't make that trade to sit him behind Morrow. Morrow does have some coverage ability I guess lol but if something where to happen to Kwi or Littelton then you bring someone in. Thats a lot of money for a 4th string LB

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Corey Littleton just said like a week ago that he's been playing SLB all training camp. While Morrow has gotten most of the 1st team reps at WLB and Vic Tafur said he doesn't see McMillian as a starter.

If that’s true it’s maybe a measure of how well they looked that they made the move for McMillan. 

I like Morrow and happy to keep him but definitely could see him being shipped, $3.2m is a lot for a backup LB.

Edited by Dessie

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I agree we just saved on Prince salary, probably could save on Peterman, and probably one of Sharpe/Young. Young was getting hyped so maybe he makes it. What has been the vibe on Brandon Parker? Save another 2 M cutting Devey and Kush. I'll rather keep Morrow for this year at least, because depth would be bad. I think Sharpe makes it because he was a cap hit of 2.1 M. 

Just now, agarcia34 said:

McMillan will start over Morrow. You don't make that trade to sit him behind Morrow. Morrow does have some coverage ability I guess lol but if something where to happen to Kwi or Littelton then you bring someone in. Thats a lot of money for a 4th string LB

Vic Tafur has been at every practice and said he thinks Morrow is the third starter today. Tashan Reed who has also been at every practice also said that Morrow is having a good camp and on his way to securing that third LB spot a few days ago. McMillian brings a skill-set that none of our other LB's have as a big, physical, thumper in run support. Like a month ago Vic also said the reason we didn't add another full-time LB in free agency or the draft was because we had liked Lee/Morrow as depth options. Lee got hurt and we had to replace him with someone that had a similar skillset. 

We saw last season how badly our defense struggled once Burfict went out and we didn't have a LB that was familiar with the system. Morrow is the only LB on the roster that has actually played in the system and can fill in for Littleton/Kwit if needed. 

If you cut him in favor of White you have two legitimate LB's in Littleton/Kwit, McMillian who will have like a week in the system and is a huge liability in coverage, and two rookies that have never even played the position. 

But I agree you can sign someone off the street midseason to be a starting 3 down LB in Gunther's complicated system. Remind me how well that has worked out for us recently? 

Also Morrow is likely the third starter according to media members who have been at practices, but you probably know more. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Humble_Beast said:

I agree we just saved on Prince salary, probably could save on Peterman, and probably one of Sharpe/Young. Young was getting hyped so maybe he makes it. What has been the vibe on Brandon Parker? Save another 2 M cutting Devey and Kush. I'll rather keep Morrow for this year at least, because depth would be bad. I think Sharpe makes it because he was a cap hit of 2.1 M. 

Raiders were paying Prince peanuts. He was about as cheap as you can come for a vet player. 

5 minutes ago, Dessie said:

If that’s true it’s maybe a measure of how well they looked that they made the move for McMillan. 

I like Morrow and happy to keep him but definitely could see him being shipped, $3.2m is a lot for a backup LB.

We were set to pay Morrow/Lee a combined $3.9M to be our depth LB's before Lee got hurt. But paying Morrow/McMillian a combined $4.3M is a deal breaker?