Everything Offseason Programs (OTA's and more)

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, jimkelly02 said:

Maybe I’m wrong but I thought I read the media has to leave the field after stretching.... so exactly how much info on whose playing 1st team or balling out, if that is correct, would be heavily debated.-

Media window after training camp is basically just watching warm ups. 

I think full access to watch practice ended with Friday’s practice. 

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

We're currently sitting at $4.6M in cap space by cutting Prince. 

By cutting: 

Nathan Peterman - $2.1M 

David Sharpe - $2.1M 

Nevin Lawson - $1M 

Brandon Parker - $1.1M 

Eric Kush - $887k

Devonte Booker - $887k

You free up another like $8M in space and get to $12.6M. Unless we're planning to add someone like Thomas, Clowney, etc what does freeing up the additional $3M do for us? 

I would offer Fournette 1 y 5m deal. add a DT from waivers and we would be ready to rock and roll. Clowney tempting but I don't see him going under 12m 

30 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Media window after training camp is basically just watching warm ups. 

I think full access to watch practice ended with Friday’s practice. 

But during TC did the beat writers stay on the field and watch the actual practice?

im wondering how accurate these reports of certain player playing good/bad are.  Did these writers actually see Key dominate or are they just being told it happened?

But during TC did the beat writers stay on the field and watch the actual practice?

im wondering how accurate these reports of certain player playing good/bad are.  Did these writers actually see Key dominate or are they just being told it happened?

I'd guess they watched more than warm ups since they've been reporting on players seeing 1st or 2nd team reps.

9 hours ago, NYRaider said:
9 hours ago, Dessie said:

Nah McMillan is most likely our 3rd LB and he’s 2m cheaper. 

Corey Littleton just said like a week ago that he's been playing SLB all training camp. While Morrow has gotten most of the 1st team reps at WLB and Vic Tafur said he doesn't see McMillian as a starter.

TBH I'd say only really Littleton and Kwiatkoski are 'starters' and Morrow and McMillan are sub in players depending upon our alignment and the offenses likelihood to run the ball.

I like Morrow more than most here and would definitely keep him on the roster, I think he can be a good cover LB and a guy who scrapes along behind the LoS chasing the play down rather than taking on blocks and stacking and shedding, his tackling is only so-so but he knows the system and rolling with Muse and White is IMO asking for trouble as they get accustomed to both the NFL and our D scheme.

White can be stashed on the PS and even brought up for game day if required. McMillan fits the bigger stack and shed type LB that plays the run very well and we can sub in for our big packages and he has some versatility to play any spot on running downs. Littleton can play all 3 spots too in theory so we're pretty versatile with Littleton, Kwiatkoski, Morrow, McMillan and Muse and White can be brought up on game day against a pass happy team or for experience. We should probably have another vet like Emanuel on speed dial in case if injuries.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Just to throw a massive wrench into the debate...

we could always cut Morrow... keep White .... for week 1

then waive White and sign him to the PS and resign Morrow... to a deal for say 1.5M and it wouldn’t be guaranteed for the season.  

The problem with that is you run the risk no one picks Morrow up, which I think they would. 

Like you said it’s a toss up but as most of us have said we wouldn’t be surprised if it did happen.

12 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

TBH I'd say only really Littleton and Kwiatkoski are 'starters' and Morrow and McMillan are sub in players depending upon our alignment and the offenses likelihood to run the ball.

I like Morrow more than most here and would definitely keep him on the roster, I think he can be a good cover LB and a guy who scrapes along behind the LoS chasing the play down rather than taking on blocks and stacking and shedding, his tackling is only so-so but he knows the system and rolling with Muse and White is IMO asking for trouble as they get accustomed to both the NFL and our D scheme.

White can be stashed on the PS and even brought up for game day if required. McMillan fits the bigger stack and shed type LB that plays the run very well and we can sub in for our big packages and he has some versatility to play any spot on running downs. Littleton can play all 3 spots too in theory so we're pretty versatile with Littleton, Kwiatkoski, Morrow, McMillan and Muse and White can be brought up on game day against a pass happy team or for experience. We should probably have another vet like Emanuel on speed dial in case if injuries.

Agreed re Littleton and Kwiatkoski being the starters and Morrow being a decent backup. All we are saying is that it wouldn’t be a surprise if we moved on from Morrow because at $3.2m he’s an expensive backup and he may hold some trade value.. 

13 minutes ago, Dessie said:

Agreed re Littleton and Kwiatkoski being the starters and Morrow being a decent backup. All we are saying is that it wouldn’t be a surprise if we moved on from Morrow because at $3.2m he’s an expensive backup and he may hold some trade value.. 

Oh, I agree that could be a possibility, just that I wouldn't personally because of our versatility we finally seem to have and because I'm probably higher on Morrow than most! 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

I can see McMillian playing WILL in 4-3 sets.  He could be a beast run stuffer as he doesn’t have sideline to sideline range an if Littleton is covering TEs from SAM he’d really only have to depend RBs coming out the backfield Versus the pass, which is something he can do.  

But then again Morrow’s 3.2M is a tad steep but not horrible.  
anyone saying they’re certain they’re right about what we will do or should do has quite some hubris cuz it’s a toss up and I’d bet it’s a tough call even for the coaches.

id lean towards keeping Morrow.  I’m always about being safe than sorry and saving 3.2M - 800k(? For whoever replaces him on the roster) isn’t that much of an incentive.

If McMillan played SLB couldn’t we have Abram SS matching up with the TE ? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

That’s absolutely incorrect.  That’s Chat Sports match lol.  When you cut any of those guys the next highest cap number player makes the team and the only savings is the difference in cap numbers.

Plus, All but Sharpe and Peterman (RFA tenders) have dead cap figures if cut.  

Does the salary cap figures as they stand now include performance bonuses ? 

I seem to remember we pay a lot in bonuses so always wondered if they had been factored on a worst case basis? If not then it might be we have to create room for that possibility?

5 hours ago, Dessie said:

Does the salary cap figures as they stand now include performance bonuses ? 

I seem to remember we pay a lot in bonuses so always wondered if they had been factored on a worst case basis? If not then it might be we have to create room for that possibility?

Are you referring to the proven performance bonuses in rookie contracts? 
https://overthecap.com/proven-performance-escalator/

we drafted so poorly I can’t think of one player we have currently getting the bonus/escalator at the moment.

Hurst will likely get it next year if he’s played 35% of total Defensive snaps over first 3 years.

If your talking about “Likely to be achieved bonuses” or “unlikely to be achieved” bonuses (which are based on it the player met this bonus metric last year) .....

then Likely 2B Achieved is counted towards the cap for that year and Unlikely isn’t.  At the end of the year they credit and debit the bonuses that were “precredited” but weren’t actually met and the unlikely 2B achieved that were met.  So each team has another line on their cap spreadsheet that accounts for this.  To be honest it’s usually not much money.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/las-vegas-raiders/cap/

to be honest I feel like we don’t really do many of these type of bonus contracts.... if sure I’m forgetting some but it’s 0 to next to nothing of our cap expenditure.

Are you referring to the proven performance bonuses in rookie contracts? 
https://overthecap.com/proven-performance-escalator/

we drafted so poorly I can’t think of one player we have currently getting the bonus/escalator at the moment.

Hurst will likely get it next year if he’s played 35% of total Defensive snaps over first 3 years.

If your talking about “Likely to be achieved bonuses” or “unlikely to be achieved” bonuses (which are based on it the player met this bonus metric last year) .....

then Likely 2B Achieved is counted towards the cap for that year and Unlikely isn’t.  At the end of the year they credit and debit the bonuses that were “precredited” but weren’t actually met and the unlikely 2B achieved that were met.  So each team has another line on their cap spreadsheet that accounts for this.  To be honest it’s usually not much money.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/las-vegas-raiders/cap/

to be honest I feel like we don’t really do many of these type of bonus contracts.... if sure I’m forgetting some but it’s 0 to next to nothing of our cap expenditure.

For example Mariotas contract I believe has a load of incentives attached to it. Do we have to account for that possibility or is it already accounted for ? 

Certainly through Reggie’s tenure we seem to pay a lot of incentives/bonuses, just wondered how they were accounted for.