Everything Offseason Programs (OTA's and more)

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Vic Tafur has been at every practice and said he thinks Morrow is the third starter today. Tashan Reed who has also been at every practice also said that Morrow is having a good camp and on his way to securing that third LB spot a few days ago. McMillian brings a skill-set that none of our other LB's have as a big, physical, thumper in run support. Like a month ago Vic also said the reason we didn't add another full-time LB in free agency or the draft was because we had liked Lee/Morrow as depth options. Lee got hurt and we had to replace him with someone that had a similar skillset. 

We saw last season how badly our defense struggled once Burfict went out and we didn't have a LB that was familiar with the system. Morrow is the only LB on the roster that has actually played in the system and can fill in for Littleton/Kwit if needed. 

If you cut him in favor of White you have two legitimate LB's in Littleton/Kwit, McMillian who will have like a week in the system and is a huge liability in coverage, and two rookies that have never even played the position. 

But I agree you can sign someone off the street midseason to be a starting 3 down LB in Gunther's complicated system. Remind me how well that has worked out for us recently? 

Also Morrow is likely the third starter according to media members who have been at practices, but you probably know more. 

Damn remind me where I said I know more. All you have done is quote things from the Athletic instead of bringing your own opinion. 

I said money wise it makes no sense to keep him. Also Morrow is barely any good only thing in his favor is he played in this system. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

We were set to pay Morrow/Lee a combined $3.9M to be our depth LB's before Lee got hurt. But paying Morrow/McMillian a combined $4.3M is a deal breaker? 

You know we were set with Lee and Morrow?

You also had Prince being in the opening day roster, things change. 

Just now, agarcia34 said:

Damn remind me where I said I know more. All you have done is quote things from the Athletic instead of bringing your own opinion. 

I said money wise it makes no sense to keep him. Also Morrow is barely any good only thing in his favor is he played in this system. 

How would I have a more informed opinion than media members who have been at practice every single day? 

We were set to pay Morrow/Lee a total of $3.9M to be our two primary backups before Lee got hurt. We're currently looking at $4.3M combined between Morrow/McMillian. Is an extra $400,000 in cap space really worth letting guy of Morrow? 

Morrow is decent in coverage, has some speed, and knows the system. White/Muse are both rookies that are transitioning into a new position in a tough scheme to learn. You have a starter go down and you instantly go from a respectable LB core to one of the worst in the league again. 

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

According to the Athletic that was the plan before Lee got hurt. 

Did the Athletic have Prince being cut? Did they predict the McMillan trade ? 

I like the Athletic but let’s not think they know everything. 

Edited by Dessie

We're currently sitting at $4.6M in cap space by cutting Prince. 

By cutting: 

Nathan Peterman - $2.1M 

David Sharpe - $2.1M 

Nevin Lawson - $1M 

Brandon Parker - $1.1M 

Eric Kush - $887k

Devonte Booker - $887k

You free up another like $8M in space and get to $12.6M. Unless we're planning to add someone like Thomas, Clowney, etc what does freeing up the additional $3M do for us? 

6 minutes ago, Dessie said:

Did the Athletic have Prince being cut? Did they predict the McMillan trade ? 

I like the Athletic but let’s not think they know everything. 

They don't know everything but they certainly have very informed opinions on the direction of the team. Vic predicted like 47/53 of the final roster correctly last year. 

I can see McMillian playing WILL in 4-3 sets.  He could be a beast run stuffer as he doesn’t have sideline to sideline range an if Littleton is covering TEs from SAM he’d really only have to depend RBs coming out the backfield Versus the pass, which is something he can do.  

But then again Morrow’s 3.2M is a tad steep but not horrible.  
anyone saying they’re certain they’re right about what we will do or should do has quite some hubris cuz it’s a toss up and I’d bet it’s a tough call even for the coaches.

id lean towards keeping Morrow.  I’m always about being safe than sorry and saving 3.2M - 800k(? For whoever replaces him on the roster) isn’t that much of an incentive.

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

They don't know everything but they certainly have very informed opinions on the direction of the team. Vic predicted like 47/53 of the final roster correctly last year. 

47/53 isn’t very good.  It’s average at best.

These are just guys opinions... they have some insight but not much.  They get told the info the team wants them to leak.  Their more useful idiots then investigative reporters.

citing them is like citing a pff rating.  Especially when people only cite the info that proves the point they want to make.  It’s pure confirmation bias.

Edited by jimkelly02

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

We're currently sitting at $4.6M in cap space by cutting Prince. 

By cutting: 

Nathan Peterman - $2.1M 

David Sharpe - $2.1M 

Nevin Lawson - $1M 

Brandon Parker - $1.1M 

Eric Kush - $887k

Devonte Booker - $887k

You free up another like $8M in space and get to $12.6M. Unless we're planning to add someone like Thomas, Clowney, etc what does freeing up the additional $3M do for us? 

That’s absolutely incorrect.  That’s Chat Sports match lol.  When you cut any of those guys the next highest cap number player makes the team and the only savings is the difference in cap numbers.

Plus, All but Sharpe and Peterman (RFA tenders) have dead cap figures if cut.