Breaking Down Cole Kmet

WindyCity

10 minutes ago, G08 said:

Who is the 'Y' in Philly? Goedert?

Goedert.

Although they seem a little more fluid in who is lined up where.

Geodert is a much better blocker and is slowly going to replace Ertz. Ertz blocking has not been good and declining.

Just now, WindyCity said:

Goedert.

Geodert is a much better blocker and is slowly going to replace Ertz. Ertz blocking has not been good and declining.

I think we are following the Philly model at TE...I suspect we will get Kmet & Graham this year before drafting another TE high in the next two years to replace Graham at the "F"...these guys can be such a match up nightmare for LBs & S as well as give the QB a big athletic target...I would have no issue taking a guy in the 3rd next year.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

Goedert.

I think our offense is going to resemble Philly more than KC next season with two TE sets being prominent. Looking at targets vs passing attempts (minus sacks) in 2018 and 2019, it seems roughly 38% of all drop backs go to Ertz/Goedert.

34% went to WR1 or WR2... so almost 3/4 of all passing attempts went to one of four players.

1 minute ago, Madmike90 said:

I think we are following the Philly model at TE...I suspect we will get Kmet & Graham this year before drafting another TE high in the next two years to replace Graham at the "F"...these guys can be such a match up nightmare for LBs & S as well as give the QB a big athletic target...I would have no issue taking a guy in the 3rd next year.

The Chiefs don’t play the Y as much because Kelce is a better blocker than Ertz.

I expect we will be more like Philly.

I think we will see some 1 TE sets with Kmet in at TE, regardless of what you call him Y or U, especially when we want to run out of 3 WR sets. You see this in Philly with Goedert, not in KC where Blake Bell never plays as the 1 TE because he is bad

1 minute ago, G08 said:

I think our offense is going to resemble Philly more than KC next season with two TE sets being prominent. Looking at targets vs passing attempts (minus sacks) in 2018 and 2019, it seems roughly 38% of all drop backs go to Ertz/Goedert.

34% went to WR1 or WR2... so almost 3/4 of all passing attempts went to one of four players.

I see that as well.

I see Kmet getting more work than rookie Goedert as Graham shouldn’t play the same amount of snaps as Ertz does.

We should get a better version of Graham out of this as well. Less reps, better health and freshness, less heavy lifting in the blocking game.

13 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I see that as well.

I see Kmet getting more work than rookie Goedert as Graham shouldn’t play the same amount of snaps as Ertz does.

We should get a better version of Graham out of this as well. Less reps, better health and freshness, less heavy lifting in the blocking game.

I can see 11 personnel being Montgomery/Kmet/Robinson/Miller/Graham too at times.

Philly ran a ton of TE screens as well last season for large, cheap gains. I hope we incorporate some of that as well.

Just now, G08 said:

I can see 11 personnel being Montgomery/Kmet/Robinson/Miller/Graham too at times.

Philly ran a ton of TE screens as well last season for large, cheap gains. I hope we incorporate some of that as well.

I think we will see Ginn in there a lot as well.

Neither Graham or Kmet force you into nickle, which is what you want to run at if you go 11.

Kmet is intriguing because he can block your LB and your best covering him with a safety. He is going to be difficult for defensive coordinators to decide who to send on.

With Graham you send the safety on because he isn’t going to block the LB if you leave him on.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, WindyCity said:

His blocking is better than I expected. For me that puts a solid floor on the pick.

He is a smart kid.  He knows his blocking is a weakness and he said he is working on it.  He said he felt he got better at end of year last year.

When asked if he could learn the playbook, he kind of giggled a little.  Basically said, not to be arrogant, that he is good at picking that kind of thing up.  He said it with absolute confidence so you know he isn’t just whistling Dixie.

Still even Horstead, who is also wicked smart, said it was difficult to pick up right away.

I would like to learn it just to see how tough it really is.  Somebody wrote a book on it explaining it.   I heard about it on some Bears podcast last year.  I’ll have to find it.

Anyone knows it let me know.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I think we will see Ginn in there a lot as well.

Neither Graham or Kmet force you into nickle, which is what you want to run at if you go 11.

Kmet is intriguing because he can block your LB and your best covering him with a safety. He is going to be difficult for defensive coordinators to decide who to send on.

With Graham you send the safety on because he isn’t going to block the LB if you leave him on.

Excellent point.  But to @Sugashaneif both Graham and Kmet are in that isn’t that technically 12 even if they are playing one split out at WR?  I think it is.  

I think the hope is that they go to 12 and they can pass it with Graham or Montgomery or maybe Kmet vs. a LB or run if they do go Nickel.

If I was DC I just go nickel or 3 safety like Pettine because Bears haven’t shown ability to run effectively even against nickel.  And until they show otherwise, both Kmet and Graham are assumed below average blockers.  

• Like 1