Can a Case be made for Keenum...?

vike daddy

*slow clap for Krauser*

Truly appreciate how your able to echo so much of my thought process to this situation, but so much more eloquently.

It just seems as realistic or even more realistic that Teddy can replicate what Case is doing compared to case maintaining his current pace.  Yet the idea is deemed too risky. While I'm certainly not advocating that Keenum should be yanked at this point, it should still be considered at some point along the road, no?

4 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

Healthy Bradford completely, is the best of all 3 QBs. So I'm hoping he gets back to healthy still.

Maybe, maybe not.

Bradford is a career mediocrity. He had a career year last year, and yet it's hard to make the argument that he was a Top 10 QB statistically even then. He was 15th in the NFL in passing yards, 18th in TDs.

There's a reason why two different organizations gave up on him. 

1 minute ago, milanb said:

Maybe, maybe not.

Bradford is a career mediocrity. He had a career year last year, and yet it's hard to make the argument that he was a Top 10 QB statistically. He was 15th in the NFL in passing yards, 18th in TDs.

I agree. I hope a 4th organization pays him double digits.

1 hour ago, milanb said:

Maybe, maybe not.

Bradford is a career mediocrity. He had a career year last year, and yet it's hard to make the argument that he was a Top 10 QB statistically even then. He was 15th in the NFL in passing yards, 18th in TDs.

He looked like the best option going into the season. 

Who's better 2016 Bradford or 2017 Keenum?

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

He looked like the best option going into the season. 

Who's better 2016 Bradford or 2017 Keenum?

2017 Keenum (so far), hands down.

It isn't just about the passing numbers. It's also about what the guy is doing to sustain drives, stretch the field and avoid negative plays. As I pointed out in a previous post, the offence has gone from 28th to 4th in the NFL. That's a huge leap.

23 hours ago, milanb said:

Not really.

I was one of the few people on this board who was lukewarm to the idea of Bradford at QB when the Vikings traded for him. I saw it as a desperation move, where the Vikings were trying to salvage their season and did not have a lot of options. The knock on Bradford was that he was strictly a pocket passer with an average arm and no mobility. And there were questions about his leadership and his willingness to take a hit to deliver the ball down the field. All of these things proved true. Say what you will about Case Keenum, but when your backup steps in and your team goes from 28th in team offence (where the Vikings were in 2016) to 4th, that says something about the level of QB play you were getting before.

I wanted Nick Foles haha. I wasn't a big fan of the Bradford trade.

But Spielman knew we had a good team. I think had we managed to stay healthy and didn't have a second half defensive collapse we would have at least made a wildcard team (and given the state of our division rivals, most likely we'd have won the division).

at this point, I don't see a reason to outright bench Keenum, but I do want to see Bridgewater out there...like before week 17 if things go well.

The Bradford trade was a product of how bad the backup QB situation was. It was Shaun Hill and that's it. Even with a healthy OL last year, I believe the ceiling would've been 6-10/7-9 with Hill under center. A move had to be made. While Foles would've moved the needle somewhat, I don't think the impact would've been as great as it was with Bradford.

Bradford was far from the problem with last year's offense.

2 minutes ago, Klomp said:

The Bradford trade was a product of how bad the backup QB situation was. It was Shaun Hill and that's it. Even with a healthy OL last year, I believe the ceiling would've been 6-10/7-9 with Hill under center. A move had to be made. While Foles would've moved the needle somewhat, I don't think the impact would've been as great as it was with Bradford.

Bradford was far from the problem with last year's offense.

What a disaster that trade was. Didn't get to the playoffs. Having Hill in there probably would have made little difference in the end.

On 11/23/2017 at 10:25 PM, Klomp said:

Depends on how much. If we could fit both under $25-30 million in that first year, I think it'd be doable....then either one you choose would be at a fairly cheap option going forward after that. I'd rather do that than to pay one guy and it be the wrong one.

“A lot will depend on how the year ends, but based on how he’s doing right now, if I had to put an estimate on it, I would say he probably is going to get a contract worth about $15 million a year, like three years, $45 million,” said Jason Fitzgerald, who runs the web site OvertheCap.com.

Fitzgerald said if Keenum were to lead Minnesota on an extended playoff run, his market value could rise to as much as $18 million annually. He does not see a scenario, though, in which Keenum could command the franchise tag from the Vikings, which would be more than $20 million a year.

---

Fitzgerald said it would be helpful in evaluating Bridgewater if he gets playing time this season. Regardless, he sees a scenario in which Bridgewater returns on a short-term deal for between $6 million and $7 million a year plus incentives.

“He has showed enough before (the injury) that he could get something like (Robert Griffin III) did when he was coming off injury,” he said. Griffen got a $6.75 million guaranteed deal from Cleveland in 2016.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/11/25/salary-cap-analyst-foresees-vikings-qb-case-keenum-commanding-15-million-a-year-as-impending-free-agent/

Archived