Can a Case be made for Keenum...?

vike daddy

1 hour ago, Cearbhall said:

Keenum sure was doing things before the bye that Bradford wouldn't have done. Kennum was avoiding sacks that Bradford would have taken. Those sacks would have resulted in ended drives. Keenum was also throwing balls beyond the sticks on third down where Bradford would have ended the drive with his give up on the drive checkdown. Those 3-4 drives a game that Bradford would have ended would have resulted in a defense that was increasingly tired and eventually they would give up more points. Couple that with, the fewer points the Vikings get after Bradford, doing Bradford things, kills drives. End result: the Vikings would have lost some of those games.

I agree with the mobility/sack statement, but I don't know that I agree with the short passing game argument. We watched Bradford have maybe the best game of his career in week 1, and he was delivering strikes downfield into tight coverage. I don't know that the Vikings would have won as many games as they have, but I certainly think they could have, albeit in a different way.

10 hours ago, ArcticNorseman said:

Why is Keenum's case different than Drew Bledsoe-Tom Brady or Don Majkowski-Bret Favre?  He replaced a vet that got hurt and has been playing lights-out ever since.  Of all the QBs in the NFL, the only long-term successful one Keenum parallels is Brees . . . maybe Kurt Warner.

Tom Brady was 24. Brett Favre was 23.

Case Keenum is 29.

The closest you could parallel is Kurt Warner, who was 28 that first year as a starter in St. Louis. But he only really gave the Rams 3 years. By Year 4 he was 0-6 as a starter. So if you're looking for longterm success, I believe Keenum isn't the way to go.

3 hours ago, Klomp said:

Case Keenum is 29.

The closest you could parallel is Kurt Warner, who was 28 that first year as a starter in St. Louis. But he only really gave the Rams 3 years. By Year 4 he was 0-6 as a starter. So if you're looking for longterm success, I believe Keenum isn't the way to go.

I actually think Rich Gannon is a closer parallel, at least from the perspective of hoping Keenum has long term success.  Gannon had couple stints as a starter, but was mostly a journeyman backup until his 30's.

3 hours ago, Klomp said:

Case Keenum is 29.

Nope. Keenum might be a decent starting option for 3-4 years. Which is fine, that gives the team a few drafts to find a long term replacement. 

33 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Let's just see what he can do in the playoffs.

At one point, Tarvaris Jackson replaced Gus Frerotte late in the 2008 season. Jackson managed the game and helped us win the division.

And then we played the Eagles in the wildcard and it all went to hell.

Jackson never had the success that Keenum has had this far. There was never any real hope with Jackson. Keenum has played like a solid starter.

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

that gives the team a few drafts to find a long term replacement.

What if they ready have that guy on the roster? 

They believed that Bridgewater was their franchise QB once, and were very close to playing him a few weeks ago. What’s changed to make us think that they’d look elsewhere for a long term replacement?

28 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

What’s changed to make us think that they’d look elsewhere for a long term replacement?

Bradford was brought back (too soon) when he was still immobile, benching Keenum to do so in the Chicago game.  Why hasn't Zimmer similarly benched Keenum to start ready-to-play TB?  Answer that honestly to also answer your question.

32 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

They believed that Bridgewater was their franchise QB once, and were very close to playing him a few weeks ago. What’s changed to make us think that they’d look elsewhere for a long term replacement?

He's a free agent. If the choice is Teddy over Keenum, then so be it. But I don't think they can have both.

Just now, vikingsrule said:

He's a free agent. If the choice is Teddy over Keenum, then so be it. But I don't think they can have both.

That’s ultimately my point. If you only see Keenum as a 2-3 year starter while you look for a long term replacement, then why not simply keep Bridgewater, who was viewed strongly as the team’s long term QB?

Just now, SemperFeist said:

That’s ultimately my point. If you only see Keenum as a 2-3 year starter while you look for a long term replacement, then why not simply keep Bridgewater, who was viewed strongly as the team’s long term QB?

It is difficult to make that same assessment now given the injury and being two years removed from playing. Without playing time, it's definitely a gamble.

4 minutes ago, Purplexing said:

Bradford was brought back (too soon) when he was still immobile, benching Keenum to do so in the Chicago game.  Why hasn't Zimmer similarly benched Keenum to start ready-to-play TB?  Answer that honestly to also answer your question.

It’s pretty obvious to anyone who’s watched the games that Keenum has been playing at a level that doesn’t warrant benching. The same couldn’t have been said following the loss to Detroit, heading into Chicago. 

1 minute ago, vikingsrule said:

It is difficult to make that same assessment now given the injury and being two years removed from playing. Without playing time, it's definitely a gamble.

It’s certainly a gamble. But it’s also a gamble believing that Keenum can continue this level of play given his level of play prior to this year. And it’s certainly a gamble heading looking at the draft. 

5 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Nope. Keenum might be a decent starting option for 3-4 years. Which is fine, that gives the team a few drafts to find a long term replacement. 

That's kind of a weird time frame to me. Either you view him as a stop gap starter and that's probably 1 or 2 years max, or he's the long term starter and he's probably too young to assume he's done in 4 years.

Archived