Can a Case be made for Keenum...?

vike daddy

19 hours ago, Klomp said:

When an NFL team has nothing to play for in Week 17, it often makes changes to the lineup to give guys a breather before the playoff run. No psychologists are needed to understand that situation.

Are you saying there's 0% chance Teddy plays in Week 17 if there's nothing for the team to play for?

Sure, TB could play in GT in Wk 17.  My point is in regard to Zimmer's managerial skill while playoff spots are yet undecided.  It involves the dynamics of more than one player to fill a starters spot.  If he makes the wrong decision, he must bear the consequences.  Currently, he isn't trying to fix something that's not broken... which is the expected course of action.

Now, consider the implications ('decision tree') of making a change; i.e. correct decision, incorrect decision, on the players involved (who are free agents after 2017 season).

2 minutes ago, Purplexing said:

Sure, TB could play in GT in Wk 17.  My point is in regard to Zimmer's managerial skill while playoff spots are yet undecided.  It involves the dynamics of more than one player to fill a starters spot.  If he makes the wrong decision, he must bear the consequences.  Currently, he isn't trying to fix something that's not broken... which is the expected course of action.

Now, consider the implications ('decision tree') of making a change; i.e. correct decision, incorrect decision, on the players involved (who are free agents after 2017 season).

I'm not talking about garbage time. Starting Bridgewater in Week 17 if the team has already clinched everything it can bears no consequences. It's something most teams do when there's nothing to play for in that last game.

3 hours ago, Klomp said:

I'm not talking about garbage time. Starting Bridgewater in Week 17 if the team has already clinched everything it can bears no consequences. It's something most teams do when there's nothing to play for in that last game.

Read my second sentence again.  Re: your scenario; I'm not sure what garbage time is if not (the parts of) games that bear no consequences.  Assuming there is nothing to play for in wk 17, why risk injury to any QB not named 'Sloter'?  I assume you're suggesting TB starts wk 17 to test his ability in the future.... that's clear!  My point is in regard to Zimmer's management of the  delicate situation of 3 QB's contracts expiring, and motivating the best one to want to re-sign.  He has been coy and terse in his presser replies on the issue for good reason.  There is a great deal of psychology involved in managing such a situation.  

On 12/15/2017 at 4:30 PM, Klomp said:

I just don't see him starting...

Not with Case being a raw type QB yet.

If we go out on a two game winning streak (Bengals/Packers) let him keep rolling. I understand sitting some of the other players, Barr, Griffen, Rudolph, Kendricks, Rhodes.

2 weeks out is a long time, if we get a first round bye.

I actually feel better with Case starting week 17 than I do of him sitting.

2 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

Not with Case being a raw type QB yet.

If we go out on a two game winning streak (Bengals/Packers) let him keep rolling. I understand sitting some of the other players, Barr, Griffen, Rudolph, Kendricks, Rhodes.

2 weeks out is a long time, if we get a first round bye.

I actually feel better with Case starting week 17 than I do of him sitting.

That's a fair point

Case Keenum has been playing so well this year. He is playing the QB position far better than any Vikings QB since '09. Sure, he is still not playing at Tom Brady levels but I continue to be really impressed with what he is doing. There are not many QBs in the league this year playing at a higher level than Case Keenum.

It was great seeing Teddy get some play time yesterday. I was in the stands participating in the calls to see Teddy play. It was great to see him out there. It is great that he got some time to shake off rust in case we need him at some point later.

Realistically, it is a very long shot to think that Teddy will ever play the position anywhere near the level that Case has been playing it this year. We better hope that Case does not get hurt. I won't put down all hope if he gets hurt and the team is handed over to Teddy but it would be a pretty tough blow. Given the defense, the team could continue to make noise.

As far as a Case being made for Keenum, we don't need to do that. Case has made his own arguments in favor and the case of the QB quandary has been closed for weeks already. While it was great seeing Teddy, this is, and will continue to be Keenum's team this year.

The question is no longer, can a case be made for Keenum, but can a case be made for Teddy? It does not look like there is much of a case to play Teddy over Case other than for injury related reasons whether that be to protect Keenum from injury or while Keenum heals from a sustained injury.

21 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Case Keenum has been playing so well this year. He is playing the QB position far better than any Vikings QB since '09. Sure, he is still not playing at Tom Brady levels but I continue to be really impressed with what he is doing. There are not many QBs in the league this year playing at a higher level than Case Keenum.

It was great seeing Teddy get some play time yesterday. I was in the stands participating in the calls to see Teddy play. It was great to see him out there. It is great that he got some time to shake off rust in case we need him at some point later.

Realistically, it is a very long shot to think that Teddy will ever play the position anywhere near the level that Case has been playing it this year. We better hope that Case does not get hurt. I won't put down all hope if he gets hurt and the team is handed over to Teddy but it would be a pretty tough blow. Given the defense, the team could continue to make noise.

As far as a Case being made for Keenum, we don't need to do that. Case has made his own arguments in favor and the case of the QB quandary has been closed for weeks already. While it was great seeing Teddy, this is, and will continue to be Keenum's team this year.

The question is no longer, can a case be made for Keenum, but can a case be made for Teddy? It does not look like there is much of a case to play Teddy over Case other than for injury related reasons whether that be to protect Keenum from injury or while Keenum heals from a sustained injury.

For the remainder of this season, you are absolutely correct on all of this. Beyond that, there are questions still.

18 hours ago, Dolmonite26 said:

186 of Keenum's 236 yards came after the catch

Wow!

His timing has been great on the short throws,  Not forcing the receivers to go to the ground to make the catches,  nailing them in stride.   I love seeing YAC,  It tells me that the QB's timing is there.

1 hour ago, Freakish Mind said:

His timing has been great on the short throws,  Not forcing the receivers to go to the ground to make the catches,  nailing them in stride.   I love seeing YAC,  It tells me that the QB's timing is there.

I mean...I think he deserves a smidge of credit, but his aDoT was a mere 2.5 yards.  Which obviously indicates that many of his passes were screens or short crossers.  Which for any who watched the game can anecdotally remember to be true.

I dont think it takes anything away from Case, it's just another stunning reminder of how good the cast is around him. He did what he needed to within the context of that

Good read, terrible reasoning. You don't pay someone long term because of what they've done. You invest in what you think the can do in the future. With everything that Keenum has done this year, I don't think that it is sustainable, and I would not be happy if they committed to him long term to make him the unquestioned starter next year.

51 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Good read, terrible reasoning. You don't pay someone long term because of what they've done. You invest in what you think the can do in the future. With everything that Keenum has done this year, I don't think that it is sustainable, and I would not be happy if they committed to him long term to make him the unquestioned starter next year.

I agree, but I do believe we are trapped in a very deep hole in this QB situation and not sure what to really do of it.

Signing Keenum, you have to bring in competition whether it is a Vet or a 1st round rookie.

Signing Bridgewater, with the risk or re-injury or never returning to form you really would want a Vet & possibly a early round rookie depending on what type of Vet you want.

Most likely not signing Keenum & Bridgewater.

Let's look at the Vet F/A QB's available next year that you may be able to sign if you sign either Teddy or Case

• Drew Stanton
  • Chad Henne
  • Matt Moore
  • Tom Savage
  • Blaine Gabbert

Now I don't have a lot of faith long term in Keenum, but at least he has been in Shurmurs system, and played decent this year. I don't want any of that touching the field.

And if you look to the Rookie QB situation, I know sometimes it works out, but players outside the top 15 do not find much success starting in their rookie years.

Either way you look at it our QB situation will still be interesting.

The more I debate the situation in my head the more I believe it will be Teddy's team next year unless we go way out of the normal and go after Drew Brees.

Archived