Can a Case be made for Keenum...?

vike daddy

26 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Now I don't have a lot of faith long term in Keenum, but at least he has been in Shurmurs system, and played decent this year. I don't want any of that touching the field.

And if you look to the Rookie QB situation, I know sometimes it works out, but players outside the top 15 do not find much success starting in their rookie years.

I wouldn't assume we'd draft a rookie to start.  We'd probably resign Case and draft a rookie to groom behind him.  We may try to resign Case and Bridgewater, whether that works may depend on whether Bridgewater can find a better opportunity to start.

I wouldn't necessarily rule out bringing Bradford back as backup either.  I think he'll most likely try to play again and probably won't be able to find a starters job.

Didn't mean to start, but with a QB competition I wouldn't rule out a rookie looking better than Case at points. I just meant for someone to keep pushing Case.

If you bring back Bradford, he is most likely going to start. He is the better QB. While he may not be the best thing for us in our eyes, he is clearly the better QB.

2 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Didn't mean to start, but with a QB competition I wouldn't rule out a rookie looking better than Case at points. I just meant for someone to keep pushing Case.

If you bring back Bradford, he is most likely going to start. He is the better QB. While he may not be the best thing for us in our eyes, he is clearly the better QB.

I really have no idea what the odds are Case continues to play as well as he has are, but I do agree we should mitigate the risk.  If a rookie is the backup though, Case will start the season and continue as long as he plays at a reasonable level

You obviously can't bring back Bradford and assume he will be healthy, so that's why you probably bring him back as a backup.  If plays well enough and stays healthy to steal the starters job, good.

1 minute ago, SteelKing728 said:

QBs don't come cheap. we can't afford to spend that much per year on the position with other pressing needs on the team.

Bradford isn't coming back, and he sure isn't going to be a backup or ask for backup money.

Who's going to pay him to be starter?  Who's going to assume he's going to stay healthy? Maybe someone will, but it's definitely no guarantee.  I feel the same about Bridgewater.  Both could get opportunities to start or neither could and I wouldn't be surprised.

4 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

I really have no idea what the odds are Case continues to play as well as he has are, but I do agree we should mitigate the risk.  If a rookie is the backup though, Case will start the season and continue as long as he plays at a reasonable level

You obviously can't bring back Bradford and assume he will be healthy, so that's why you probably bring him back as a backup.  If plays well enough and stays healthy to steal the starters job, good.

Having multiple QB's that were capable was the reason we are where we are. Need to have that, and is a big lesson for our coaching staff.

Honestly why I just believe you leave Bradford alone. The offense we are running right now is the most efficient is a semi-mobile QB. It helps out our offensive line and we can keep the chains moving. Bradford will end up making the cleaner passes, probably is going to read the defense better, but he just isn't a fit anymore and you can just stay away from him.

2 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

Who's going to pay him to be starter?  Who's going to assume he's going to stay healthy? Maybe someone will, but it's definitely no guarantee.  I feel the same about Bridgewater.  Both could get opportunities to start or neither could and I wouldn't be surprised.

There are plenty of teams out there that would pay a high price for a mediocre QB.

that's a weird question. who's to assume that he'll get hurt again? 

the contract that Keenum signed this past offseason is normal for backup QBs. starting QBs off their rookie contract are making probably a minimum of 10M/year. Bridgewater and Bradford will likely both be healthy and attempt to go after that money. Players only have a limited time in the NFL and they might as well try to make as much as possible.

Teddy’s done nothing to price himself out of coming back at a low-medium rate. No team is going to hand him a long term contract, and on any type of “prove it” deal, the Vikings are going to be his best bet. 

Keenum will likely command a relatively expensive contract, $12M-$15M, but like Bridgewater, he’s not going to get a long term contract. 

I still see them retaining both Bridgewater and Keenum. 

To me, its been pretty clear that since mid-season, this was more than likely going to be Teddys last season in purple, so it was definitely nice to see him get that standing ovation and a couple snaps under center.

Minny is not letting Case go in Free Agency... the contract no one knows yet, but it will be a yearly salary that will make Teddy expendable (and look for a fresh start).

And I think we supplement the Case signing with the drafting of a QB, to take over in another year or so.

Just now, SteelKing728 said:

There are plenty of teams out there that would pay a high price for a mediocre QB.

that's a weird question. who's to assume that he'll get hurt again? 

the contract that Keenum signed this past offseason is normal for backup QBs. starting QBs off their rookie contract are making probably a minimum of 10M/year. Bridgewater and Bradford will likely both be healthy and attempt to go after that money. Players only have a limited time in the NFL and they might as well try to make as much as possible.

Several people here are assuming he'll never play again, so I'm not sure why you don't think any NFL offices will have  questions about his health.

Case Keenum is on a 2 million dollar contract, so I'm sort of confused how that's an indicator we couldn't afford Bridgewater or Bradford as a backup.  I'm not sure what type of offers they'll get.  Yes, if either gets a huge offer or a better opportunity to start, I'm sure they'll take it.  I just don't think that's guaranteed.

We are going to do what the Redskins are doing with Kirk Cousins.   We'll franchise Keenum.   Let Teddy hit the market and then sign him to a back up QB contract after there is very little interest in him in free agency.     BTW, This all happens after Keenum wins superbowl MVP this year (I can dream, can't I)

2 minutes ago, Freakish Mind said:

We are going to do what the Redskins are doing with Kirk Cousins.   We'll franchise Keenum.   Let Teddy hit the market and then sign him to a back up QB contract after there is very little interest in him in free agency.     BTW, This all happens after Keenum wins superbowl MVP this year (I can dream, can't I)

If Case wins Superbowl MVP I'd be willing to lock him up 5 Yrs. $25M/yr... wouldn't hurt my feelings

Super Bowl, or not, I just can’t see any team(s) out there banging down his door to the point where the Vikings feel obligated to franchise him. 

Where ever Keenum goes, or who ever shows interest in him is likely going to view him the same as the Vikings, a player who may begin the offseason as the starter, but who will have to compete and hold off another quarterback for the job. 

I just can’t see a team handing him a starting job. 

12 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

Several people here are assuming he'll never play again, so I'm not sure why you don't think any NFL offices will have  questions about his health.

Case Keenum is on a 2 million dollar contract, so I'm sort of confused how that's an indicator we couldn't afford Bridgewater or Bradford as a backup.  I'm not sure what type of offers they'll get.  Yes, if either gets a huge offer or a better opportunity to start, I'm sure they'll take it.  I just don't think that's guaranteed.

do we have medical reports that state he's highly unlikely to play? my guess is no and that it's pure speculation. I'm sure NFL teams will question about this health, but they'll do more than just speculate.

if you had to guess, how much do you think Sam Bradford and Teddy Bridgewater make after this season? just guess..

I think the Vikings will have the cap space to resign Bridgewater and Keenum. ~11 mil in dead cap and 18 mil in Bradford come off of the books. They should have close to 60 mil going into free agency next year, and that should be enough to take care of Hunter, Barr, and Diggs. I think they will exercise the 5th year option on Trae, pushing him out another year. I think the Vikings are going to have more flexibility than we expect. I also think that both Bridgewater and Keenum would prefer to stay in MN and win the starting job.

Archived