Can a Case be made for Keenum...?

vike daddy

Just now, NorthCountryEvo said:

But that's the thing, there are plenty of QB needy teams out there who will have underdeveloped situations at QB, or no one worth shaking a stick at. There will be teams out there who are willing to pay Glennon money or more to get someone like Teddy, who has/had potential. If Teddy truly is looking for a starting job and money, the opportunity will be there for him. It's not like he is Kaepernick who has a lot of baggage with him. He has shown to be loved by his teammates, he has shown to be devoted to the game through his rehab, and he had previously shown continual growth. The injury risk is the only thing really holding him back, and there are going to be teams desperate enough to pay him to be their QB, bridge or otherwise.

Glennon was signed before the Bears signed Trubisky. And given the amount they gave Glennon I"m not sure drafting a QB that high was in their mind at the time.  To me, the big difference is that you don't know what you're going to get from Bridgewater next season because of his injury.

Is Bridgewater an immediate starter or is he someone you're holding on it with the hopes he will get better in the future? I think that's question and a reason why he will get paid less.

Just now, Worm Guts said:

Glennon was signed before the Bears signed Trubisky. And given the amount they gave Glennon I"m not sure drafting a QB that high was in their mind at the time.  To me, the big difference is that you don't know what you're going to get from Bridgewater next season because of his injury.

Is Bridgewater an immediate starter or is he someone you're holding on it with the hopes he will get better in the future? I think that's question and a reason why he will get paid less.

Look at Glennons contact, and how they can get out of it this year. They also owned the 3rd pick, they were in good shape to take one of the top QB's.

Glennon was an Unknown, and were hopeful he would turn out to be something.

Bridgewater should be 100% back to health next year, ready to go. Only issue is the re-injury issue and maybe some rust from not playing much.

3 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Look at Glennons contact, and how they can get out of it this year. They also owned the 3rd pick, they were in good shape to take one of the top QB's.

Glennon was an Unknown, and were hopeful he would turn out to be something.

Bridgewater should be 100% back to health next year, ready to go. Only issue is the re-injury issue and maybe some rust from not playing much.

I just think it's a bigger risk level considering he hasn't played since his injury.  Glennon had a relatively successful rookie season as a starter and was healthy.  He was more of a known than Bridgewater is now.

1 minute ago, Worm Guts said:

If the Bears didn't have a rookie QB in mind at the time, then they are idiots. With a pick as high as what they had, they knew that they needed to go after someone to carry the franchise. They tried to do the smart thing and get a vet who could tie them over until whatever rookie they got was ready to start. To me, they knew just as much about Glennon as teams will know about Bridgewater, just in a different fashion. Glennon only played so many games as a starter, and did so on a relatively bad team. He never really looked good either. What he was, was a QB with prototypical size and a big arm, but he sucked in every other fashion. Many coaches think they can teach a guy the rest of the game so long as they have the physical assets, but that doesn't really work that often. Glennon probably had a decent market which is why he got paid so much. Teddy, on the other hand has shown that he can be a starter and was so early in his development that prior to the injury everything was looking up. Coaches and GM's will see that the risk is there, just like there was with Glennon, but they have seen enough of a body of work from Teddy that someone will give him the opportunity if he wants it, and they will be willing to shell out the dough for that.

Just now, Worm Guts said:

I just think it's a bigger risk level considering he hasn't played since his injury.  Glennon had a relatively successful rookie season as a starter and was healthy.  He was more of a known that Bridgewater is now.

Bridgewater would also be getting paid $5M less if he went to my estimated $10M/yr in a rising salary cap world.

Just now, NorthCountryEvo said:

If the Bears didn't have a rookie QB in mind at the time, then they are idiots. With a pick as high as what they had, they knew that they needed to go after someone to carry the franchise. They tried to do the smart thing and get a vet who could tie them over until whatever rookie they got was ready to start. To me, they knew just as much about Glennon as teams will know about Bridgewater, just in a different fashion. Glennon only played so many games as a starter, and did so on a relatively bad team. He never really looked good either. What he was, was a QB with prototypical size and a big arm, but he sucked in every other fashion. Many coaches think they can teach a guy the rest of the game so long as they have the physical assets, but that doesn't really work that often. Glennon probably had a decent market which is why he got paid so much. Teddy, on the other hand has shown that he can be a starter and was so early in his development that prior to the injury everything was looking up. Coaches and GM's will see that the risk is there, just like there was with Glennon, but they have seen enough of a body of work from Teddy that someone will give him the opportunity if he wants it, and they will be willing to shell out the dough for that.

Statistically, Glennon's rookie year was comparable to Bridgewaters.

The Bears also had quite a bit of cash to take a gamble on Glennon and drafting Trubisky. MN is in a position where they have to be wise with FA money. There are several big time FA contracts coming up.

Seems like a similar situation to the Broncos after they won the super bowl. They needed a stop gap (Osweiller) but still used a late first on a QB. MN might have to do this in order to work the cap. Keenum is much better than Osweiller so hopefully it works out better for us than Denver. 

29 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Bridgewater would also be getting paid $5M less if he went to my estimated $10M/yr in a rising salary cap world.

I wouldn't rule 10 out per year.  Like I said earlier, I have a fairly sizeable range of 6-12 million per year as a possibility.  I think it will be less than Glennon though.

I am still not ready to commit to anything beyond this year. When the time comes, I don't know how the team could let Keenum walk. At the same time, I share concerns about whether he'll be able to maintain year-to-year consistency. Keenum has been great this year but I am not at all convinced that he'll be as great next year.

Case Keenum has played himself into a very good negotiating position. He has little motivation to accept less then the franchise tag value on a one year deal before free agency starts. The Vikings only real hope for getting him for less than that would be to not tag him, give them their best offer, and hope that no other team will top it. That would be a huge gamble. The Jets took a similar gamble with Ryan Fitzpatrick after his one good year with them and won the battle of getting him to sign for cheaper. The cost of winning that battle was not at all worth it as it wrecked their next season.

Keenum is significantly younger than Fitzpatrick. Odds of the Vikings winning a stare-down and that being a successful strategy for next year are slim to none IMO.

35 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

I wouldn't rule 10 out per year.  Like I said earlier, I have a fairly sizeable range of 6-12 million per year as a possibility.  I think it will be less than Glennon though.

here is his thoughts on it

Basically in the middle of what we said, but then again he doesn't know anymore than we do.

5 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

here is his thoughts on it

Basically in the middle of what we said, but then again he doesn't know anymore than we do.

But what do we know regarding Keenum? He's got to be the more pressing option unless the Vikes really are going to go with Teddy and whatever veteran they can sign in FA. 

1 minute ago, vikingsrule said:

But what do we know regarding Keenum? He's got to be the more pressing option unless the Vikes really are going to go with Teddy and whatever veteran they can sign in FA. 

absolutely nothing

much like what disaacs/Ben Leber said, for all we know, he could follow Shurmur.

2 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

I don't think you can sign both. Why would Teddy return if Keenum is making $15m+ to start. Would there be any real competition. Teddy is damaged goods and lost his job to Keenum. Don't see The Vikes spending $35m+ at QB. 

I hope two teams offer Bradford and Teddy ridiculous contacts for the comp pick. Any other worthwhile free agents who could add to the comp pick formula? Michael Floyd? Shamar Stephen.

Sign Keenum. If Teddy can't find what he's looking for and is willing to be a backup, bring him back for $3-4M per year. Doubt that happens though.

I agree.

Hope Bradford and Teddy get double digit contracts for the compensatory picks.

Case is going to be our starter next year, just the money & years is left to sort out.

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

The Bears also had quite a bit of cash to take a gamble on Glennon and drafting Trubisky. MN is in a position where they have to be wise with FA money. There are several big time FA contracts coming up.

Seems like a similar situation to the Broncos after they won the super bowl. They needed a stop gap (Osweiller) but still used a late first on a QB. MN might have to do this in order to work the cap. Keenum is much better than Osweiller so hopefully it works out better for us than Denver. 

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but Denver didn't re-sign Osweiler after 2015 because he didn't want to go back, even after knowing Manning retired. Brick wouldn't answer Denver's calls.

They drafted Lynch because all they had then was unknown Trevor Siemian.

28 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but Denver didn't re-sign Osweiler after 2015 because he didn't want to go back, even after knowing Manning retired. Brick wouldn't answer Denver's calls.

They drafted Lynch because all they had then was unknown Trevor Siemian.

You had it right.  Osweiler blindsided Denver.  They thought he was going to come back, because as far as they were concerned, he was their QBOTF.   Their hand was forced when he signed with Houston.  They probably were not going to draft Lynch, until that happened.  

Archived