Can a Case be made for Keenum...?

vike daddy

1 hour ago, CriminalMind said:

I agree.

Hope Bradford and Teddy get double digit contracts for the compensatory picks.

Case is going to be our starter next year, just the money & years is left to sort out.

Maybe, but I also think we need a backup plan in that scenario.  Whether it's Teddy, or top pick or something else. The last 2 times the Vikings were really good, their QB was someone who had exactly 1 good year in purple.

24 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

Maybe, but I also think we need a backup plan in that scenario.  Whether it's Teddy, or top pick or something else. The last 2 times the Vikings were really good, their QB was someone who had exactly 1 good year in purple.

The back-up plan is going to really depend on who the offensive coordinator is. Shurmur stays, my guess is we put some draft stock into a QB....maaayyybe someone like Baker Mayfield.

Case Keenum > Baker Mayfield > Kyle Sloter.

I could deal with it.

2 hours ago, vikingsrule said:
3 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

here is his thoughts on it

Basically in the middle of what we said, but then again he doesn't know anymore than we do.

But what do we know regarding Keenum? He's got to be the more pressing option unless the Vikes really are going to go with Teddy and whatever veteran they can sign in FA. 

A cheap deal like that makes it more than reasonable for the Vikings to fit Keenum under the salary cap too, even on the franchise tag.

Let these guys duke it out in training camp to figure out who the better option is going forward. You haven't lost any longterm money by going this route, and you don't risk betting on the wrong guy this offseason when I'd argue we still haven't seen one of the QBs at full capacity.

It also allows for wiggle room in the situation where Pat Shurmur goes elsewhere, because you can see what both guys look like under the new system. Plenty of QBs are no longer effective once a OC goes elsewhere. Better to plan for that possibility instead of just going all-in on a guy who's had one year of starter-level production.

1 minute ago, Heimdallr said:

Just wait and watch as we roll into next year with Sam Bradford as the starter.

just doubtful in every degree.

gotta shake that hangdog, it's all going to go wrong somehow for the Vikings attitude from way back. it's a new dawn.

a purple one.

#10 inside the pocket

#1 outside the pocket

A lot to do with some great receivers and short passes, but we have a lot to be thankful for. After the Bradford injury we thought the season was over and looking forward to at least getting a chance to see Teddy play the final 10 games.

Now we have more than a competent back-up that is leading one of the best teams into the NFC playoffs and a division title.

13 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

and yes... I realize QBR is not a "great stat" but it is cool to see that he is doing basically the same thing Bradford was doing except able to do it outside the pocket as well.

high accuracy #'s leading to high QBR

QBR is a mediocre stand-alone stat.  It is best used for comparing QBs, and not for predicting 'success', however the latter term is defined.  So, it has uses, but is imperfect because of the somewhat subjective weighting of the 4 components. 

I am curious as to the number of pass attempts outside by each of the listed QBs, so as to measure the reliability of the stats.  If a QB only threw 10 passes outside the pocket all season, their 'QBR OTP' might be very low or very high, due to random variation for a small sample size. 

The difference between CK's 118 and the 2nd QB , 110, is about 8 points!  That's a significant gap.... if the number of pass attempts OTP is of reasonably credible volume.

Archived