Can a Case be made for Keenum...?

vike daddy

10 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Say we take a lead large enough by halftime in  the Packers and/or the Bears games and they open up the playbook for Teddy and he thrives with other back-up in the game on our team.

Do you think that would raise his price or not enough in game time to raise an organization faith in him?

Seems like it would be tough to say no competition to a QB that hasn't played in much gametime for 2 1/2 years. All it could take is the right QB falling into place for a team in the draft after he has already signed.

I'f I'm GM, I'd need to be sold more than a quarter's worth of play against a below-average team (no offense but GB isn't a good team with Rodgers out) in a game that doesn't matter.

It may go a little ways as to showing me how his knee is doing but it won't be enough to say "Well hot dog! Let's throw this kid some big money over 3-4 years!"

7 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

I'f I'm GM, I'd need to be sold more than a quarter's worth of play against a below-average team (no offense but GB isn't a good team with Rodgers out) in a game that doesn't matter.

It may go a little ways as to showing me how his knee is doing but it won't be enough to say "Well hot dog! Let's throw this kid some big money over 3-4 years!"

Well yeah, I mean nobody is going to throw big money at Teddy, I just mean from going from the 8-10M range to that 10-12M range.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind Teddy will receive an offer of $8M next year minimum, and if it is $8M I would be willing to put that type of money on my back-up QB depending on what Case truly does actually make. If it's around that $18M which I project that would bring both of them to around $26M invested in the QB position which we are sitting around $22M this year. $4M with at least a good hope you have a solid back-up this year.

That would put Teddy in between the 38 year old Josh McCown and Jay Cutler type money.

Remember the Bears actually do have one of the better defenses in the NFL also, can't throw too much shade at them.

4 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Well yeah, I mean nobody is going to throw big money at Teddy, I just mean from going from the 8-10M range to that 10-12M range.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind Teddy will receive an offer of $8M next year minimum, and if it is $8M I would be willing to put that type of money on my back-up QB depending on what Case truly does actually make.

I would be thrilled to get Bridgewater signed as the backup for $8M per year on a multi-year deal. It is so hard to gauge what he would get on the market considering his injury. I couldn't begrudge Teddy going to someone else that offered him a starters salary and opportunity if the Vikings signed Keenum to be the starter. Letting Teddy go is the toughest part about signing Case Keenum to be the starter next year. It would be amazing if the Vikings found a way to keep them both around at a reasonable cost.

10 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind Teddy will receive an offer of $8M next year minimum, and if it is $8M I would be willing to put that type of money on my back-up QB depending on what Case truly does actually make. If it's around that $18M which I project that would bring both of them to around $26M invested in the QB position which we are sitting around $22M this year. $4M with at least a good hope you have a solid back-up this year.

I've said all season long that I felt $25 million was my goal for getting them both under contract. I'd be just fine going slightly over.

4 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

I would be thrilled to get Bridgewater signed as the backup for $8M per year on a multi-year deal. It is so hard to gauge what he would get on the market considering his injury. I couldn't begrudge Teddy going to someone else that offered him a starters salary and opportunity if the Vikings signed Keenum to be the starter. Letting Teddy go is the toughest part about signing Case Keenum to be the starter next year. It would be amazing if the Vikings found a way to keep them both around at a reasonable cost.

Hopefully though he's given a shot in the offseason to win the job!

7 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

i want to ensconce these points in velvet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgmiGN2mi2M

If he goes, I'm glad we got a bit of closure on the Teddy recovery by watching him enter the game to a huge ovation at home. If he had left this offseason without playing a snap, it just wouldn't feel like an appropriate ending to his Vikings career. But now, at least we saw him on the field again.

I don't know guys.  I really don't think this front office, nor this head coach will be the ones showing Teddy the front door.  I think he's signed next year as the presumed starter and Keenum and Bradford will be free agents in a hot quarterback market.

18 minutes ago, Klomp said:

If he goes, I'm glad we got a bit of closure on the Teddy recovery by watching him enter the game to a huge ovation at home. If he had left this offseason without playing a snap, it just wouldn't feel like an appropriate ending to his Vikings career. But now, at least we saw him on the field again.

Were you at the game too? It was quite an experience getting to welcome Teddy back to the field. Would have loved to see him complete a couple passes. You could see that he needs to get back into a rhythm but it was good to see him move around a bit. Getting to welcome Teddy back to the field may have been the highlight of the day for me in a day filled with many highlights.

6 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

I don't know guys.  I really don't think this front office, nor this head coach will be the ones showing Teddy the front door.  I think he's signed next year as the presumed starter and Keenum and Bradford will be free agents in a hot quarterback market.

You could be right. I wouldn't hate having Teddy starting next year. If this would be a terrible choice it wouldn't be such a tough decision. We still have time to get a little more information before a decision needs to be made.

4 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Were you at the game too? It was quite an experience getting to welcome Teddy back to the field. Would have loved to see him complete a couple passes. You could see that he needs to get back into a rhythm but it was good to see him move around a bit. Getting to welcome Teddy back to the field may have been the highlight of the day for me in a day filled with many highlights.

i was there.

I had my eye on him all of the 4th quarter. Saw some players coming up to him and patting him on the helmet/pads so figured he was going in.

Then he came onto the field and there were some players jumping on top of the benches and waiving towels.

One of the loudest reactions at the new stadium, that's for sure. Such a great moment.

9 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

i was there.

I had my eye on him all of the 4th quarter. Saw some players coming up to him and patting him on the helmet/pads so figured he was going in.

Then he came onto the field and there were some players jumping on top of the benches and waiving towels.

One of the loudest reactions at the new stadium, that's for sure. Such a great moment.

Did you see Case Keenum encouraging the crowd to get loud for Teddy? I thought that was a great show of support towards the crowds love for Teddy by Keenum. Case understands what it feels like to be a backup. Keenum also appears to feel secure enough in his role as the starter that he wasn't intimidated by the crowds love for the backup. It was a great moment for Teddy and a really nice display as a teammate from Keenum. A less secure individual may have sat on the bench pouting. 

12 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Did you see Case Keenum encouraging the crowd to get loud for Teddy? I thought that was a great show of support towards the crowds love for Teddy by Keenum. Case understands what it feels like to be a backup. Keenum also appears to feel secure enough in his role as the starter that he wasn't intimidated by the crowds love for the backup. It was a great moment for Teddy and a really nice display as a teammate from Keenum. A less secure individual may have sat on the bench pouting. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDQKZT7O0jM

Just now, vike daddy said:

Thanks. I never saw the TV view of that moment. Well worth the watch. I don't feel it fully captured Keenum's response. At one point he was encouraging the crowd to get loud much like that clip shows Rudolph doing just after showing Keenum clapping and smiling. I did see some comments somewhere that Keenum said he was one of the ones starting the Teddy chant.

Case might not have heard the Teddy chants starting in section 101 in the 3rd quarter. I held off joining the chants until the fourth quarter. The place exploded when Teddy walked out onto the field.

Whoever ends up being the QB in '18, I hope the fans will support that guy with the passion shown in support of Teddy in that moment. Sadly, I know that whoever wins the job will be scrutinized more than supported. The backup QB is always the crowd favorite.

Archived