Can a Case be made for Keenum...?

vike daddy

4 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

I don’t think you need to even toss that much guaranteed money in his face. 3 year, $19M, $25M guaranteed. If all fails you eat $6M in the second year of contract than so be it.

Still believe you can get him even closer to that $18M range.

I personally don't think the guaranteed money is high enough, for him to forgo a) seeing if Vikings tag him at 1 @ $25M b) multi-year contracts with more guaranteed money, from other teams.

I think everyone clearly understands that Case has outperformed his contract, but I'm not sure that's relevant, as contracts are based on somewhat future expectations (even though past performance does play a part).  The future expectations at the time he signed were that he'd be a backup, not a starter.  So, yes, he outperformed his contract, but that was almost guaranteed when the circumstances changed and he was no longer a backup.   

Teddy has shown flashes of being able to play at the level of Keenum, as a younger player, in worse circumstances in the past. So to say he won't sniff this level of play is revisionist history. I don't think that it is arguable that Teddy is more physically talented than Keenum. I believe in Teddy and think that given the opportunity he can overcome the mental hurdles that are the only thing limiting him right now. 

I just get a Scott Mitchell vibe with Keenum.

1 minute ago, VikeManDan said:

Getting away from the Teddy and Case debate, what does everyone think will happen with Bradford? I would be extremely upset if we resigned him which I really don't think is a possibility. Does another team give him a go?

He won't be back in purple.

I think he either gets a small deal as a backup or he's done.

1 hour ago, Heimdallr said:

We have no idea what sort of player he is anymore.  He could come back and be great, or he could come back and be the worst QB in the league. Drafting a rookie would be less of a gamble because at least that player would have played football in the last 16 months.

Case has already shown he can be a highly effective player on this team.

You can say the same about any quarterback!  There are very few quarterbacks who play at a high level season after season.  There are only 4 in the league right now!  Brees, Brady, Roethlisberger and Rodgers.  Maybe you could include Rivers, but everyone else is up and down. 

10 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Getting away from the Teddy and Case debate, what does everyone think will happen with Bradford? I would be extremely upset if we resigned him which I really don't think is a possibility. Does another team give him a go?

I do believe another team will give him one more shot with an injury clause in the contract.  The talent is unmistakable, but the health has always been a huge problem.  I almost consider him like a modern day version of a Tony Eason or Neil Lomax.  

12 minutes ago, disaacs said:

I do believe another team will give him one more shot with an injury clause in the contract.  The talent is unmistakable, but the health has always been a huge problem.  I almost consider him like a modern day version of a Tony Eason or Neil Lomax.  

Would be great if he got an injury clause contract ... I believe it counts the same for a the compensatory pick calculation.

33 minutes ago, disaacs said:

For sure if Bradford wants to play again someone will give him a contract. I would guess he’ll start some games next year for someone.

The Vikings, of course, have two tools for avoiding a defection from Keenum. The transition tag, which provides a right to match but no compensation, and the franchise tag, which gives a right to match and two first-round draft picks if the player leaves. (There’s also a pricier “exclusive” franchise tag option, that keeps him from even talking to other teams.) The non-exclusive franchise tag will cost roughly $22.5 million for 2018; more importantly, it will set the opening point for negotiations on a long-term deal.

As all teams have learned via the bungling of the Kirk Cousins situation by Washington, a quarterback can make huge money opting not to sign a long-term deal and to take the tag for as long as the team will apply it. As to Keenum, $22.5 million for 2018 would become $27 million for 2019, which would become $38.8 million for 2020. That’s a three-year haul of $88.3 million.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/12/23/vikings-move-toward-difficult-quarterback-decisions/

Archived