Can a Case be made for Keenum...?

vike daddy

40 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Verizon and the NFL just inked a $1.5 billion dollar agreement for streaming gams. Revenue is not down in the NFL. 

I doubt total viewership is down all that much, if at all, for the NFL. Traditional TV viewing may have declined, but many people are just finding different and new ways to watch games. 

Agreed that people are finding different and new ways to watch games. When I said viewership is down, what I meant was traditional TV viewership. The question will become whether the NFL will find a way to capture revenues from those alternate methods. To this point, the TV contracts have accounted for the bulk of their revenues. The Verizon contract is a great example but will that offset the eventual losses in TV contracts? We don't know but it seems possible that there will be some bumps in the road in this transition.

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

I’ve been as critical of Keenum as anyone, but the conditions last night absolve him of pretty much every thing. 

yes, i totally agree and felt that way as i watched the game. the heavy, dead-er air and the horrible field conditions give every player a pass on being evaluated for efficiency and any mistakes they may have made, or lack of quickness or sharpness.

and then it makes the players who did perform very well under those horrid conditions that much more exceptional. i'm looking at you, Mr Smith.

On 12/24/2017 at 9:48 AM, Cearbhall said:

Remaining slightly off topic, the projected cap for next year is up from the cap this year. This is an indication that revenues are up, not down as you suggest above. The salary cap is directly tied to revenue. I recognize that this is just a detail of your point. With viewership down it is entirely possible that revenue will be down when the league next signs TV contracts. Will the league be able to make up the difference via online or some other alternative revenue? I have my doubts about that in the short-term but the league will hopefully be able to adjust in the longer-term. You are right, that if the revenue drops the cap will drop and player contracts will necessarily follow just as surely as they have followed the cap upwards. I believe the current TV contracts extend to 2020 so don't expect revenue decline until at least then. The new deals will come out sometime before current expiration giving people an inkling if the revenues and thus cap will decline. A small litmus test may be the Thursday Night package the NFL has been selling year to year.

Game attendance is down in ALL venues.  Merchandise sales levels are unknown to me, but I'll go out on a limb and say it, too, is likely down from prior years.  NFL revenues are largely based on TV contracts, negotiated in the past.  So, revenues will necessarily lag viewership and game attendance.  The brain trusts of NFL front offices do not project revenues/ set their budgets by viewing current revenue intake due to fixed contracts with TV networks.  They look at all signs of growth or decline.  Attendance and sales of merchandise are very important revenue streams that they will be / are monitoring very closely before free agency starts in March(?) 2018.  Wise teams will not go on spending sprees in FA as they've done in the past.   

On 12/24/2017 at 10:52 AM, Cearbhall said:

Agreed that people are finding different and new ways to watch games. When I said viewership is down, what I meant was traditional TV viewership. The question will become whether the NFL will find a way to capture revenues from those alternate methods. To this point, the TV contracts have accounted for the bulk of their revenues. The Verizon contract is a great example but will that offset the eventual losses in TV contracts? We don't know but it seems possible that there will be some bumps in the road in this transition.

Correct me if I'm wrong, because I don't pay attention to the details involved in alternate viewing methods.  But, I must assume, until told otherwise, that those 'providers of streaming services' must pay the NFL (or other sources of entertainment programming) for their use.  Amirite?

On 12/24/2017 at 9:34 AM, SemperFeist said:

I’ve been as critical of Keenum as anyone, but the conditions last night absolve him of pretty much every thing. 

Are we going to hand him the same due when he falters in Philly?  Won't be as cold, but below 30 seems likely

1 hour ago, Purplexing said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, because I don't pay attention to the details involved in alternate viewing methods.  But, I must assume, until told otherwise, that those 'providers of streaming services' must pay the NFL (or other sources of entertainment programming) for their use.  Amirite?

Correct. They do. But, they do not pay anything close to what the league has been able to capture via TV contracts. They cannot because they do not have the advertising deals lined up to back such a financial commitment.  It is a bit chicken and egg. Can't get the advertising dollars until you get the mass numbers of viewers. Cannot pay for the programming to attract mass numbers of viewers until the advertising dollars are there. It will get there but it will take some time and there will be some bumps in the road.

The question becomes will the TV dollars evaporate quicker than the alternate revenue streams increase. The league just extended a terrible commissioner; I won't count on the transition from revenue largely from TV contracts to revenue largely from alternate sources to go very smoothly. The younger generations aren't interested in obtaining their programming in the same way that was normal for my generation. If the league doesn't make significant inroads into the next medium of choice there will be significant revenue losses. This is a transition a little more challenging then from radio to black and white, from back and white to color, from color to HD, etc... 

1 hour ago, Dolmonite26 said:

Are we going to hand him the same due when he falters in Philly?  Won't be as cold, but below 30 seems likely

Temperatures in the 20s, 30s, and 40s (as is usually the case in Philadelphia in January) is far different from single digit temps.

And if it is single digit temps again, then yes, I would give him the same due IF he falters in Philadelphia. 

Archived