Can a Case be made for Keenum...?

vike daddy

2 hours ago, Freakish Mind said:

For anyone confused,  Tonights game with the Eagles and Raiduhs was some terrible QB play.  Even on Keenums worst days this season he has not looked as bad as what I watched tonight.  

I just finished watching it and came away with the thought that, although it won't be a cakewalk if we have to go in there to play, we absolutely can beat them.  They have a good running game - Jay Ajayi is a handful, and LaGarrett Blount is a good change of pace to give Ajayi a rest.  I would say that they have a better running game than we do. 

At the same time, I think we have a better passing game than they do with Foles in there, and we undoubtedly have a better defense.  If we have to play the Eagles, it won't be an automatic win by any means, but I would like our chances, even in their house, particularly after watching us go on the road and beat a couple of other good NFC teams in recent weeks..

25 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I just finished watching it and came away with the thought that, although it won't be a cakewalk if we have to go in there to play, we absolutely can beat them.  They have a good running game - Jay Ajayi is a handful, and LaGarrett Blount is a good change of pace to give Ajayi a rest.  I would say that they have a better running game than we do. 

At the same time, I think we have a better passing game than they do with Foles in there, and we undoubtedly have a better defense.  If we have to play the Eagles, it won't be an automatic win by any means, but I would like our chances, even in their house, particularly after watching us go on the road and beat a couple of other good NFC teams in recent weeks..

The only think that truly worries me about the Eagles is their pass rush. The Raiders O-line is better than ours (IMO) and they had one hell of a time giving Carr any breathing room. There is definitely ways to mitigate this, but if we get in a situation where we are roped into playing their game, that could completely shut our offense down. I still think we have a great shot of beating the Eagles if we do see them in the post season, but based on tonight and last weeks performances, I kind of don't see them lasting past their first game. It just goes to show how weak their schedule was, and how much Wentz meant to that team. The converse of this is our QB situation, where we are making Keenum look like a top 10 QB. I love how Case is doing, but part of me thinks that Foles on this team would not be as drastic a drop off, and that Carr could very well outperform Keenum. 

13 minutes ago, NorthCountryEvo said:

The only think that truly worries me about the Eagles is their pass rush. The Raiders O-line is better than ours (IMO) and they had one hell of a time giving Carr any breathing room. There is definitely ways to mitigate this, but if we get in a situation where we are roped into playing their game, that could completely shut our offense down. I still think we have a great shot of beating the Eagles if we do see them in the post season, but based on tonight and last weeks performances, I kind of don't see them lasting past their first game. It just goes to show how weak their schedule was, and how much Wentz meant to that team. The converse of this is our QB situation, where we are making Keenum look like a top 10 QB. I love how Case is doing, but part of me thinks that Foles on this team would not be as drastic a drop off, and that Carr could very well outperform Keenum. 

It's interesting what you said about the Eagles' pass rush.  I just wrote up a review for the Raiders fans and my main criticism was the play of their offensive line.  This was the first Raiders game I watched this year and my thought was that if they need to concentrate on anything in the draft, it would be to improve their offensive line.  Maybe the Eagles' defense is just that good. 

15 hours ago, Purplexing said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, because I don't pay attention to the details involved in alternate viewing methods.  But, I must assume, until told otherwise, that those 'providers of streaming services' must pay the NFL (or other sources of entertainment programming) for their use.  Amirite?

Well yes and no... yes some streaming ones do pay the nfl.

No to some, but we can’t discuss them on these forums.

29 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Note: Keenum not in top 5. Actually surprised by this a bit.

Biggest reason Brees and Goff and on this list... Gurley and Kamara...

I am a bit surprised by this too. It feels like Keenum has been going a great job of putting the ball on receivers in stride and allowing them to get YAC. Maybe I am just too used to Jackson and Ponder never being able to hit guys in stride and my perception is skewed. Maybe he isn't a top of the league guy in getting the ball to places that allow YAC, but Keenum has generally done a solid job with that IMO.

3 hours ago, Klomp said:

It's not just about the YAC, but how many air yards came before the YAC. Keenum has been pushing the ball downfield most of the season.

Ummmmm...coming into the Packers game Keenum was 35th out 38 in average depth of target. Not sure where he stands in air yardage metrics, but I can't imagine it's very high given his aDoT rank

7 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Donald Penn hasn't been playing. Still wish Osemele was signed though over Boone.

Missing Penn still doesn’t explain why Osemele, Hudson, and Jackson have performed so poorly.

A blessing in disguise that he wasn’t. Osemele hasn’t been as good this season as he was last year, and he doesn’t fit the zone blocking scheme that the Vikings have adopted. 

Still trying to think of comparisons for him, there was a QB who began his career 15-24 in his first seven seasons, completing 58% of passes and with 51 TDs to 35 INTs. He got his first big break as a starter later in his career, filling in for an injured QB who missed most of the season. He went 14-2 as a starter, completing 67% of passes and throwing 25 TDs to 7 INTs. It eventually caused a QB controversy both inside and outside the locker room. In another parallel, it was also the first year for the team's OC, who had previous experience as a HC.

(btw that was Steve Young)

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Missing Penn still doesn’t explain why Osemele, Hudson, and Jackson have performed so poorly.

A blessing in disguise that he wasn’t. Osemele hasn’t been as good this season as he was last year, and he doesn’t fit the zone blocking scheme that the Vikings have adopted. 

Didn't Osemele play in a zone scheme towards the end of his Baltimore career?

Archived