Can a Case be made for Keenum...?

vike daddy

12 minutes ago, Dolmonite26 said:

Just gonna leave this riiiiiiiight here

https://t.co/6QplIW1IC8?amp=1

Leaving it 'here' without any comments?  Why?

If someone has to filibuster on an agenda with a lengthy 'analysis' that starts with dismissal of a large volume of stats (> 400 pass attempts) as being unreliable, it's clear they're swimming against the current of common sense and logic.

48 minutes ago, Dolmonite26 said:

Just gonna leave this riiiiiiiight here

https://t.co/6QplIW1IC8?amp=1

I had some issues with article.  I don't know if I want to go through them all, but I noticed this:

The best indicators of sustainability, like ESPN’s QBR and net yards per attempt (which counts sacks as attempts and sack yardage as negative passing yardage) both like him — in QBR’s case, quite a bit.

In a lot of ways it just felt like a guy looking to justify his predetermined position.

Anyway, I just think is a better conversation for the offseason.  Case is your starter in the postseason, and that's not going to change without an injury, so let's not worry if it's sustainable or not.  We can worry about whether it's sustainable when we're choosing our long term QB.

24 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

Anyway, I just think is a better conversation for the offseason.  Case is your starter in the postseason, and that's not going to change without an injury, so let's not worry if it's sustainable or not.  We can worry about whether it's sustainable when we're choosing our long term QB.

No sense arguing this, at the end of day, it's just skol vikes whoever is starting

1 hour ago, CriminalMind said:

Go against the grain to get clicks.

Nothing worthwhile from that again

Really?....I mean really

There's a swath of evidence in there that points to Keenum being a paper tiger....and it's all...what? inadmissible?

1 minute ago, Dolmonite26 said:

Really?....I mean really

There's a swath of evidence in there that points to Keenum being a paper tiger....and it's all...what? inadmissible?

I went through it and I think some his points are good and others are not so good.  I do think some his point is meaningfully undermined when he shows 2 statistical indicators of sustainability really like Case.  Also looking at his examples "near interceptions", I would disagree with several being in that classification.  I have no idea if there's some sort of standard for that, but I think the defensive player should at least have a hand on the ball and have a better shot at catching it than the receiver for it to be a "near interception".  He also doesn't indicate what league average is for near interception rate.

All that being said, I wouldn't consider Case proven.  I think he has to at least carry his success into a 2nd season for me to really be comfortable with it, unfortunately we have to decide before that.

I don't know that Keenum is a liability.

Without much experience he may be a question mark, but not necessarily a liability.

We have the #2 seed, and with the way Philadelphia is playing, our seed be as valuable as the #1. If we play all our playoff games at home and can have the run game and defense help us out, Keenum is going to do well and help us continue to win.

26 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

I went through it and I think some his points are good and others are not so good.  I do think some his point is meaningfully undermined when he shows 2 statistical indicators of sustainability really like Case.  Also looking at his examples "near interceptions", I would disagree with several being in that classification.  I have no idea if there's some sort of standard for that, but I think the defensive player should at least have a hand on the ball and have a better shot at catching it than the receiver for it to be a "near interception".  He also doesn't indicate what league average is for near interception rate.

All that being said, I wouldn't consider Case proven.  I think he has to at least carry his success into a 2nd season for me to really be comfortable with it, unfortunately we have to decide before that.

I'll agree with most of this.  I think Arif slanted this a little more negative than I would, but I think near int are less about the defender actually having a legit shot at catching it, yet more of a theoretical one (?)...idk

Keenum is going to have to make plays that we have not seen him make yet, and that we’ve seen him miss frequently during the regular season, for the Vikings to roll through the playoffs. 

It’s one thing to miss open receivers down field against teams like Green Bay and Chicago where the defense can consistently shut down the opposition. But we saw how much it hurt this team against teams like Atlanta and Carolina, playoff caliber teams. 

The offense has been fairly efficient throughout the regular season, but efficiency won’t be enough in the playoffs. They are actually going to have to make plays and capitalize on the opportunities when they’re presented. 

5 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

It’s one thing to miss open receivers down field against teams like Green Bay and Chicago where the defense can consistently shut down the opposition. But we saw how much it hurt this team against teams like Atlanta and Carolina, playoff caliber teams. 

Yeah, it really cost us against Atlanta....

44 minutes ago, Klomp said:

Yeah, it really cost us against Atlanta....

You just love those flippant remarks, don’t you?

We got into scoring position 3 times in that game, Atlanta got into scoring position 5 times. That game should not have been anywhere near that close of a game. And if our offense plays like that again against Atlanta, or any of the other playoff teams, I would not expect to win. 

42 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

You just love those flippant remarks, don’t you?

I do, thanks for asking!

Saying "it shouldn't have been that close" is also a major disservice and ignorance to how good our defense is. There are different point values assigned to touchdowns and field goals for a reason. You act like the defense only allowing 9 points when they were in scoring position 5 times is a bad thing. It's not.

You simply can’t expect the defense to hold a playoff team to 9 points, and two missed field goals. And how is it a disservice to the defense? It shouldn’t have been that close of a game. The defense played a game that should have meant a double digit point win. Our offense, however, failed to capitalize on a number of opportunities.

What’s ignorant, is ignoring the struggles of the offense because of the success of the defense. 

Archived