Can a Case be made for Keenum...?

vike daddy

7 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I still see Shurmur taking Bradford with him over Keenum. 

I agree. Bradford should come cheaper. I'd think Shurmur would want to find his own QBOTF in which case, why would he want to break the bank on a stop gap QB. Keenum probably has more value to MN than just about any other team.

On 1/7/2018 at 9:24 AM, gopherwrestler said:

So could Sleeves, or Teddy, or Jet, or any other F/A.

Actually wouldn't surprise me at all if he would and Shurmur would pay top dollar to have him follow.

Next year.... Teddy Time?

Here's how I look at this, currently:

-Super Bowl win, Vikings lock up Keenum
-Anything else, they let him walk

I do give some pause about what to do if we get to the Super Bowl and lose. Really, that situation could go either way.

2 minutes ago, Dolmonite26 said:

Just automatic? No bones about it, lock him up if they win?....seems.....um flawed

Well I mean there will still be limits on payment, but I think the odds of it go up significantly

1 hour ago, Dolmonite26 said:

Just automatic? No bones about it, lock him up if they win?....seems.....um flawed

Keenum is clearly going to have to elevate his game to enable a super bowl win. What must it take to feel good about giving him an extension? Or is there still resistance due to a desire for Teddy to be the guy instead, even though Teddy's praise may be completely unwarranted in the end if Keenum delivers in the postseason.

Spielman: “We did a lot of film study on Case and felt like he might not have all the top physical traits as some of the top NFL quarterbacks, but he had the leadership, the competitiveness and the athleticism to fit in well for us. I wish I could say I personally knew he’d be as good as he has been. Some guys get into their late 20s and just blossom, and he’s done just that.”

http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2018/01/vikings-gm-rick-spielman-goes-hot-seat-collecting-honors/

It also would make sense for Keenum to get serious consideration from the Cardinals, regardless of the Shurmur connection. In the five years of the Arians era, the Cardinals faced Keenum twice. In 2013, the then-Texans quarterback completed 22-43 passes for 201 yards, three touchdowns, and no interceptions in a 27-24 Arizona win. Last season, Keenum completed 18 of 30 passes for 266 yards (8.9 yards per pass), two touchdowns, no picks, and a passer rating of 111.3 in a 17-13 Arizona loss to the Rams.

And here’s the key: If the Cardinals are sold on Keenum, the Vikings may be even more sold on him, choosing to do whatever needs to be done to keep him around, up to and including application of the franchise tag. PFT has heard time and again that the Vikings won’t decide on a quarterback plan for 2018 until the 2017 season ends.

How it ends undoubtedly will be a major factor in whether the Vikings take any and all steps to keep Keenum off the open market.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/11/case-keenum-has-played-well-against-his-possible-next-team/

2 minutes ago, Morleericks said:

If Keenum plays well against the Saints, which I believe he will, then he needs to be kept around.

At this point and time, I don't even want Teddy tbh.  But who am I to say so? Spielman knows what he's doing

I'm with you. Right now I'm 100% on board with Keenum and don't really care what happens with Teddy.

BUT, if Rick decides it is better to keep Teddy than Keenum, I'll be cool with that.

1 minute ago, Heimdallr said:

I'm with you. Right now I'm 100% on board with Keenum and don't really care what happens with Teddy.

BUT, if Rick decides it is better to keep Teddy than Keenum, I'll be cool with that.

Same. The Teddy appreciation has certainly lessened for me and I just don't see the upside. I don't necessarily think Keenum has proven himself as a long term option either, but he's got a much stronger argument than Teddy. If Keenum plays terribly during the playoffs, I think his salary expectations will be significantly less but I'd still probably lean towards bringing him back over Teddy and drafting the next QBOTF. I have nothing against bringing Teddy back as a backup but I'd want a contract similar to what Keenum is currently playing on. 

1 hour ago, gopherwrestler said:

Man, this thread is wild.

Over 24,000 views

Over 1,600 posts.

I kind of went backed and skimmed over it, we have seen little to no faith, grow into a little faith, to a lot people saying Case has a to get a franchise tag.

Yeah, who starts these threads?!?  Oh...

Archived