Can a Case be made for Keenum...?

vike daddy

A lot of people (myself included) have mostly attributed Case Keenum's success to Pat Shurmur, but I'm also wondering if the same can be said going the other way. Are we giving Shurmur too much credit, while somewhat dismissing Keenum?

Case gives his targets a chance, movement in the pocket to gain extra seconds, to deliver a decent, not perfect, ball to targets plus the option to run a lil. He can delay the throw until if even something small opens up, & he'll still throw it even under the gun. That's the main things in feel separate him from our other options

1 hour ago, Klomp said:

A lot of people (myself included) have mostly attributed Case Keenum's success to Pat Shurmur, but I'm also wondering if the same can be said going the other way. Are we giving Shurmur too much credit, while somewhat dismissing Keenum?

Good point. One of my concerns with Shurmur is he always seemed to be part of bad offenses. Then Thielen breaks out and Keenum arrives, but who's to say the success wouldn't have happened without Shurmur.

54 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Good point. One of my concerns with Shurmur is he always seemed to be part of bad offenses. Then Thielen breaks out and Keenum arrives, but who's to say the success wouldn't have happened without Shurmur.

Shurmur had a rough time in Cleveland but when he was in St. Louis back in 2009-2010 as the OC it was far from a bad offense after he took over as playcaller in 2010. 2009 the team was 1-16 and he took over as play caller in 2010 and turned it into a 7-9 team with limited talent outside of Bradford and an aging Jackson, it is what got him his head coaching gig.

When in Philly, he didn't even call the plays with Chip Kelly there until he took over as HC which the offense started working and Bradford looked to as if he reclaimed his career.

Cleveland was just not fair in the 2011-2012 season... That offense was SO bad. Not a talent on the offense..

Otherwise he has just been a position coach his whole career in college until 1999.

Keenum is 10-3 as a starter this season, and he has thrown for 3,358 yards with 21 touchdowns and seven interceptions. The former undrafted free agent has a quarterback rating of 98.1 this season, and has produced a rating of 100 or higher in seven games.

http://www.vikings.com/news/lunch-break/article-1/Lunchbreak-ESPN-Views-Keenum-Signing-as-1-of-NFLs-Most-Underrated-Moves/7fc9f182-4697-48fd-af52-6d21f8bfe17e?sf177610680=1

Keenum... Diggs... Thielen.... a lot of production from two undrafted guys and a 5th rounder...

2 hours ago, vike daddy said:

i read that Shurmur went 9-23 as head coach in Cleveland. remind me who's done better than that lately...

Basically everyone, actually....

2014-15: Mike Pettine 10-22
2009-10: Eric Mangini 10-22
2005-08: Romeo Crennel 24-40
2001-04: Butch Davis 24-35

That only leaves out Hue Jackson (1-30) and Rob Chudzinski (4-12).

3 minutes ago, Klomp said:

Basically everyone, actually....

2014-15: Mike Pettine 10-22
2009-10: Eric Mangini 10-22
2005-08: Romeo Crennel 24-40
2001-04: Butch Davis 24-35

That only leaves out Hue Jackson (1-30) and Rob Chudzinski (4-12).

i am not inviting you to my parties, you pooper.

There’s a quality that Keenum possesses beyond his physical skill, Hasselbeck said, that always will command attention from teams.

“I think what Case brings to the table, the reason they signed him in L.A. and in Minnesota, is that he’s just such a pro,” Hasselbeck said. “He’s the kind of guy that you want your young quarterbacks to just be around and just watch.

“I think people sign guys like Case because they just want the aroma of professionalism to rub off on everybody in that quarterback room. And what they found in the process was that they can absolutely win with him. You play good defense and you support him and give him the tools at the line of scrimmage, and just a few players who can win one-on-one matchups, you can win with players like Case Keenum.”

https://www.profootballweekly.com/2017/12/29/case-keenum-career-vagabond-heads-into-most-important-stretch-of-his-career/ay9a8x3/

To me, the 2017 story of Dak Prescott should be a bit of a cautionary tale for those willing to hand over the franchise keys to Case Keenum no questions asked. Supporting cast matters. Having a healthy OL matters.

Archived