Vikings by the Numbers

Randall gave us a fun year, but Fuad is the 5th leading scorer, all-time, for the Vikings.

Interesting conversation, do you put more value on the one excellent, still non-super bowl, year - or the longer career here?

4 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Randall gave us a fun year, but Fuad is the 5th leading scorer, all-time, for the Vikings.

Interesting conversation, do you put more value on the one excellent, still non-super bowl, year - or the longer career here?

In my opinion it's relative to position. A quarterback having one stellar year gets the nod over a kicker...except if that kicker was Fred Cox.  Again, in my opinion.

Going through the first 7 numbers by PFR's Approximate Value metric:

1. Warren Moon - 28 AV (Over Gary Anderson -19)
2. Kai Forbath - 5 AV (Over Britton Colquitt - 2)
3. Blair Walsh - 14 AV (Over Jeff George - 11)
4. Brett Favre - 21 AV (Over Mike Saxon - 5)
5. Teddy Bridgewater - 22 AV (over Chris Kluwe -17)
6. Matt Wile - 2 AV (over everyone else at 0)
7. Randall Cunningham - 27 AV (over Christian Ponder - 23 and Reveiz -19)

6 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Going through the first 7 numbers by PFR's Approximate Value metric:

1. Warren Moon - 28 AV (Over Gary Anderson -19)
2. Kai Forbath - 5 AV (Over Britton Colquitt - 2)
3. Blair Walsh - 14 AV (Over Jeff George - 11)
4. Brett Favre - 21 AV (Over Mike Saxon - 5)
5. Teddy Bridgewater - 22 AV (over Chris Kluwe -17)
6. Matt Wile - 2 AV (over everyone else at 0)
7. Randall Cunningham - 27 AV (over Christian Ponder - 23 and Reveiz -19)

The only one on that list that I feel strongly enough about to question is #3. Jeff George's few games put him ahead of Walsh for me. I was annoyed with George's propensity to go fetal before a hit came rather than hit a receiver at the cost of absorbing the hit, but at least he is a QB, which to me is always more valuable than a kicker.

11 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

The only one on that list that I feel strongly enough about to question is #3. Jeff George's few games put him ahead of Walsh for me. I was annoyed with George's propensity to go fetal before a hit came rather than hit a receiver at the cost of absorbing the hit, but at least he is a QB, which to me is always more valuable than a kicker.

I've made my feelings known, especially on the Kluwe/Teddy situation...and I think solely using positional value in this particular type of discussion is unwarranted and actually, truly detrimental to the discussion as it limits the true evaluation of success as a Vikings player.  If you're a damn good janitor, you're just as valuable as a damn good doctor (just in a different way).  

24 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

It's likely about duration of career with the team. Walsh for 4.5 seasons and George for 10 starts.  On a per game basis, George is undoubtedly higher in value.

1 minute ago, RpMc said:

It's likely about duration of career with the team. Walsh for 4.5 seasons and George for 10 starts.  On a per game basis, George is undoubtedly higher in value.

Oh for sure, and I was considering that too even when I decided I would put George ahead of Walsh. Even given the difference games played I remember more excitement during George's snaps than I did during all the snaps the kicker took in his time with the Vikings.

Just now, Cearbhall said:

Oh for sure, and I was considering that too even when I decided I would put George ahead of Walsh. Even given the difference games played I remember more excitement during George's snaps than I did during all the snaps the kicker took in his time with the Vikings.

Walsh's rookie year was pretty spectacular.  10/10 from 50+ was an awesome start to a derailed career.

1 minute ago, RpMc said:

Walsh's rookie year was pretty spectacular.  10/10 from 50+ was an awesome start to a derailed career.

Fair point.

I still wouldn't take 4.5 years of Walsh over George's time with the Vikings. I understand if anyone else would rather have the kicker. There is a marginal gain of Walsh over an average kicker for sure. George was an amazing thrower but only an average QB.

12 hours ago, RpMc said:

I put more value on who gave me the most good memories and that would be Cunningham

• Like 1