Saints release G Larry Warford

RaidersAreOne

12 minutes ago, CHOMP_CHOMP said:

So then by your logic, Cam Newton, Andy Dalton, Tod Gurley, and a slew of other good players arent good. And thats why they were cut. Or was it because of cap issues? hmmmm oh and Tyrann Mathieu lol thanks @ET80 lol

Likewise, David Johnson must be good now...

13 minutes ago, CHOMP_CHOMP said:

So then by your logic, Cam Newton, Andy Dalton, Tod Gurley, and a slew of other good players arent good. And thats why they were cut. Or was it because of cap issues? hmmmm oh and Tyrann Mathieu lol thanks @ET80 lol

Newton still isn’t signed so that would support my theory. Andy Dalton is now a backup so that would also support my theory. Gurley wasn’t great last year and was overpaid so that would again support my theory.

Warford wasn’t good last year and was not worth his salary. I think if someone thought he was still good they would’ve offered up a 7th. That’s not some crazy outlandish theory.

The amount of straw man going on is absurd.

Some of you think Warford is still a pro bowl OG. You don’t find it odd that a pro bowl OG on a reasonable salary couldn’t fetch a 7th? Or is it possible that he’s declined and teams didn’t think his current level of play is worth his salary? 

Edited by MookieMonstah

2 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

Newton still isn’t signed so that would support my theory. Andy Dalton is now a backup so that would also support my theory. Gurley wasn’t great last year and was overpaid so that would again support my theory.

Warford wasn’t good last year and was not worth his salary. I think if someone thought he was still good they would’ve offered up a 7th. That’s not some crazy outlandish theory.

Hmm Andy Dalton is actually the starter, because Dak isnt under contract. And Dalton would start for NE tomorrow if he was on the roster. He would start for Jacksonville tomorrow if he was on the roster. That doesnt prove your point in any way. Gurley is the starter in Atlanta, so again that doesnt prove your point in anyway. Good players get released all the time because of cap issues. 

1 minute ago, CHOMP_CHOMP said:

Hmm Andy Dalton is actually the starter, because Dak isnt under contract. And Dalton would start for NE tomorrow if he was on the roster. He would start for Jacksonville tomorrow if he was on the roster. That doesnt prove your point in any way. Gurley is the starter in Atlanta, so again that doesnt prove your point in anyway. Good players get released all the time because of cap issues. 

Newton still isn’t signed. We all know Dak is the starter, don’t be obtuse. Gurley was mediocre and massively overpaid.

Do you think Warford is still a good player? Or do you think he declined last season? Pretty simple question.

The amount of straw man going on is absurd.

Some of you think Warford is still a pro bowl OG. You don’t find it odd that a pro bowl OG on a reasonable salary couldn’t fetch a 7th? Or is it possible that he’s declined and teams didn’t think his current level of play is worth his salary? 

I havent seen where anyway is saying that he is still a probowl player. I commented a few pages back, that i think they got worse; simply because an above average (not great, but good OG) is a safer option than a 20 year old rookie who has never played a snap. Further more, OL get injured more than any other position and depth along the OL is key in my opinion. Also he wasnt making a reasonable salary when it pertains to the Saints cap situation. They needed that 7.5m badly. They had a little under 2min cap space before that move, and werent going to be able to afford to sign their draft picks. Its like that was the reason the released him... man who woulda thought. 

Newton still isn’t signed. We all know Dak is the starter, don’t be obtuse. Gurley was mediocre and massively overpaid.

Do you think Warford is still a good player? Or do you think he declined last season? Pretty simple question.

First the bolded statement you cant use... your argument is he didnt get traded because he wasnt good. 

Secondly the answer is yes to both questions. Yes he is still a good OG, and yes he declined. 

You tell others they are being black and white, then you throw out this extreme “it’s either this or that. No in between option.”

Just admit the cut = bad player, traded = good player was a bad take. It seems that’s what most people are hung up on.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Duluther said:

You tell others they are being black and white, then you throw out this extreme “it’s either this or that. No in between option.”

Just admit the cut = bad player, traded = good player was a bad take. It seems that’s what most people are hung up on.

I just said it’s telling. It is. If he was still at his pro bowl level of play he would’ve gotten the Saints a pick. He didn’t, hence me saying it’s telling. Obviously every situation is unique. Matthieu wasn’t a bad player but was massively overpaid. This situation isn’t like that situation. Warford isn’t old, he wasn’t overpaid... so why wouldn’t he get a low conditional pick? I believe it’s because his play and motivation fell off so teams didn’t think a pick was worth it. You disagree, that’s fine.

This is a silly argument over semantics. 

Edited by MookieMonstah

15 minutes ago, CHOMP_CHOMP said:

First the bolded statement you cant use... your argument is he didnt get traded because he wasnt good. 

Secondly the answer is yes to both questions. Yes he is still a good OG, and yes he declined. 

My argument is that it’s telling that on a reasonable salary he couldn’t get even a conditional 7th. I do think it’s telling, I’ve also said he’d start for numerous teams and could likely improve next season with some motivation. We’ve spent 4 pages on semantics.

45 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

wow....

youre right, you didnt say that, mookie did. SO you do have a different argument than him.

Which is exactly what I said earlier...

2 hours ago, Dome said:

I don’t think our arguments are nearly as different as you’d like to think they are. 

When someone acknowledges that an argument is different, they’re also acknowledging that they aren’t the same.

Thats how that works.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

My argument is that it’s telling that on a reasonable salary he couldn’t get even a conditional 7th. I do think it’s telling, I’ve also said he’d start for numerous teams and could likely improve next season with some motivation. We’ve spent 4 pages on semantics.

I don’t really think it’s semantics. You made a pretty broad statement saying he wasn’t good or he would have warranted a 7th round pick at least. Then you started to backslide and throw all kinds of ifs, ands, and buts. Everyone’s entire argument against you, was that good players get cut all the time due to all kinds of circumstances and just because a team didn’t send a late round pick doesn’t mean the player isn’t still good. But yea, sure, whatever, you were right the whole time lol 

IMO, some folks are very much overstating the cap ramifications for the Saints... Mickey is just as good as any GM at wringing every last cent out of a salary cap that he can. The money was an aspect of his release but his major decline in play is what made the money an issue. 

If Warford was better than “meh” as a starter, he’d be on the Saints and the Saints wouldn’t have taken an IOL in the 1st. Nick Easton or Kiko (both reserves making several million) could’ve been cut earlier in the year. Taysom could’ve played on his $4.5m tender rather than be given an extension. The money was there and would’ve been paid if Warford was good.

If you’re looking at this as “the Saints couldn’t afford him” it’s incorrect and probably screwing with your assessment of Warford as a player.

If you’re looking at this as “the Saints are more confident in a rookie” your expectations for Warford are probably going to be closer to reality.

It all depends if this lights a fire under his ***, or makes him realize he really just doesn’t care any more.