What do we make of Jared Goff's hot start?

Apparition

3 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

Scheme + Additional Skill Position Talent (Watkins + Woods + Kupp + Everett) + General progression from Year 1 to Year 2 + Improved OL (Miss you Whit).

All of that, plus facing IND and SF. 

Will come back down to median, but clearly progression.

2 minutes ago, El ramster said:

I'll take this bet. 

You think Goff will end up >70% Completion with a passer rating over 118 and INT% of 1.2?

xD

I hope for Rams fans' sake that he does but tearing up the Colts and 49ers doesn't project well over 13 more games. He was average at best against Washington (below average really)

I think it's the easy way out to say Goff faced easy teams. Reasons are, last season he faced the same Niners team Week 16 and couldn't psss for more than 90yds completed 45% of his passes, threw 2 ints and was sacked 4 times. Against the Saints last season he had 3 td passes in the first half in his first career road start (only Ryan was the other QB to throw 3 td passes in the first half again the Saints in the dome last season) BUT in the second half Goff was shell shocked and completely fell apart.

So what I'm saying is that we shouldn't take the lazy way out and say Goff played easy teams. Does he look shell shock? No. Is he making the big time throws consistently? Yes. How is he on 3rd downs (money downs)? He is great so far. How is he in the redzone? He is great so far. Is he making mistakes? No. Like from preseason to Week 3, I can count 2 mistakes Goff has made. One was against the Chargers Week 3 of the preseason where he threw a duck to Im guessing Watkins that was way off and it got intercepted. The second mistake was Week 2 against the Redskins where he stared down Kupp on the last possession and it got intercepted. Other than that, Goff isn't making many mistakes. He isn't taking sacks. So far 3 sacks all season long. Most of that has to do with the improved oline and play design but Goff also is getting rid of the ball and showing his athleticism on some plays to escape the pressure.

I think his confidence has grown and I'm loving the McVay hire. Underrated hire too is the OC Matt LaFleur. He was the QB coach for Matt Ryan last season. Ryan had his best season last year. Not to mention Goff QB coach Greg Olson who helped Bortles improve in his 1st and 2nd full seasons as the Jags starter. Olson also made Josh Freeman a pro bowl QB on season while in Tampa Bay and Olson also worked with Drew Brees back in college at Purdue which Brees ended up as the 32nd overall pick coming into the NFL and has had a HOF career. So what Goff is doing is no fluke. 

3 hours ago, footbull3196 said:

Are we going to completely ignore the fact that Goff's faced a couple of putrid defenses and a middle of the pack defense?  Im happy to see he's playing well and this will definitely build some confidence, but get back to me after he faces the Seahawks in Week 5

Yea, let's ignore the fact that Goff has performed better against those defenses than Carson Palmer, Russell Wilson, and Derek Carr.

5 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

Goff was garbage last year and looks serviceable this season. From what I've watched I haven't been blown away, but he at least looks like a starting NFL QB. Bill Walsh I think said you don't know what you have in a QB until 20(I think it was 20 anyway) starts in, so he's got some time to go yet.

"Serviceable." Yeah, okay.

Just now, jrry32 said:

Yea, let's ignore the fact that Goff has performed better against those defenses than Carson Palmer, Russell Wilson, and Derek Carr.

"Serviceable." Yeah, okay.

Servicable, yes. Which I deem as solid play. Same category I'd put guys like Mariota, Prescott, Rivers, Cousins, etc in so far this season. It's not a knock.

Just now, TitanLegend said:

Servicable, yes. Which I deem as solid play. Same category I'd put guys like Mariota, Prescott, Rivers, Cousins, etc in so far this season. It's not a knock.

You're entitled to an opinion that Goff won't keep it up. You're entitled to an opinion that he's faced weak competition. But claiming his play against that competition has been "serviceable" isn't believable if you've watched all the games. Mariota, Prescott, Rivers, and Cousins have been "serviceable" if you go by the numbers. Goff's numbers are comparable to Brady's, and the Rams lead the NFL in PPG.

Now, I don't believe that Goff's numbers are going to remain this outrageous, but I also don't expect him to flop either. The progression he's made and McVay's brilliance as an offensive mind are very obvious right now (as well as the upgrades the Rams have made on offense).

3 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

You're entitled to an opinion that Goff won't keep it up. You're entitled to an opinion that he's faced weak competition. But claiming his play against that competition has been "serviceable" isn't believable if you've watched all the games. Mariota, Prescott, Rivers, and Cousins have been "serviceable" if you go by the numbers. Goff's numbers are comparable to Brady's, and the Rams lead the NFL in PPG.

Now, I don't believe that Goff's numbers are going to remain this outrageous, but I also don't expect him to flop either. The progression he's made and McVay's brilliance as an offensive mind are very obvious right now (as well as the upgrades the Rams have made on offense).

You're not really suggesting the idea that Goff has faced weak competition is a matter of opinion are you?

Just now, jrry32 said:

I mean if you go strictly off numbers then Kirk Cousins has been better than serviceable too. But I've made an effort to watch most games so far this season(albeit a lot of them in condensed form). Goff has been solid, but not spectacular. Looking deeper at the numbers would support that as well. Only 51.6% of his yards are air yards, which would rank him 22nd in the league per PFF, which means his receivers have helped boost his stats significantly with YAC. He's benefited from some really nice receiver play in terms of catches, he's only had 2 drops all year.

I'm not expecting him to flop. I'm not expecting anything period. Guy was complete garbage year 1, and now looks like a starting quality QB, so "expecting" anything in regards to him is out the window for me. Just judging based off what I've watched of him this season + his numbers.

Just now, mcmurtry86 said:

You're not really suggesting the idea that Goff has faced weak competition is a matter of opinion are you?

The Colts and 49ers are bad teams. The Colts suck all around. The 49ers' defense had been decent prior to playing the Rams. The Redskins have looked good thus far. Look at what their defense did to Derek Carr last night. So yea, I think stating Goff has played weak defenses to this point is a matter of opinion. It's likely true, but we don't know yet. 

1 minute ago, Starless said:

41 points against a 49ers defense that held the Seahawks and Panthers without a TD is nothing to sneeze at.

Really can't tell if this is sarcasm. The Seahawks and Panthers offenses look absolutely dreadful - not because of the competition they've faced but because they look sloppy and outright bad. The Panthers could barely move the ball against the Saints.

The Saints

Just now, mcmurtry86 said:

Really can't tell if this is sarcasm. The Seahawks and Panthers offenses look absolutely dreadful - not because of the competition they've faced but because they look sloppy and outright bad. The Panthers could barely move the ball against the Saints.

The Saints

The Saints game should come with at least a small asterisk since it was after the Greg Olsen injury for the Panthers. The Seahawks' offense looked pretty decent against the Titans, so who knows where they're at. But I do genuinely think the 49ers have a defense that's at least in the top half of the league talent-wise. Their Front-seven features one of the best groups of young players in the league.

Just now, TitanLegend said:

I mean if you go strictly off numbers then Kirk Cousins has been better than serviceable too. But I've made an effort to watch most games so far this season(albeit a lot of them in condensed form). Goff has been solid, but not spectacular. Looking deeper at the numbers would support that as well. Only 51.6% of his yards are air yards, which would rank him 22nd in the league per PFF, which means his receivers have helped boost his stats significantly with YAC. He's benefited from some really nice receiver play in terms of catches, he's only had 2 drops all year.

I'm not expecting him to flop. I'm not expecting anything period. Guy was complete garbage year 1, and now looks like a starting quality QB, so "expecting" anything in regards to him is out the window for me. Just judging based off what I've watched of him this season + his numbers.

Archived