What do we make of Jared Goff's hot start?

Apparition

On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 5:31 PM, El ramster said:

From ESPN Stats & Info: Gurley faced 6 or fewer defenders in the box on 16 of 23 rushing attempts. Defenses are starting to respect Goff.

This stat/tweet can not be emphasized enough. Gurley has room to run, we control the clock. Gurley doesn't have room to run, Goff has single coverage somewhere and now knows how to find it. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

15 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

This stat/tweet can not be emphasized enough. Gurley has room to run, we control the clock. Gurley doesn't have room to run, Goff has single coverage somewhere and now knows how to find it. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Lets see if that continues vs Seattle. 

Him playing well has helped Todd Gurley, which only helps Goff more. Teams can't stack the box nearly as much now and Gurley is proving he's an elite two way weapon. The Rams offense is going to be scary going forward if those two can keep it up and a guy like Kupp keeps progressing.

I would have to say that both Goff and Wentz are both showing strong indications that they will be solid franchise QB's. Anybody who tries to put down QB's after their rookies seasons really knows squat, about the past experiences of some of the greatest QB's who have played the game. Many, Many, Many struggled as rookies only to go on and have sensational careers. It is a huge adjustment from college ball and many rookies struggle at many positions, but with added experience and a strong will to succeed, they go on to have wonderful careers and QB is no different. Just as a reminder, both Peyton and Eli struggled as rookies and how did that work out?????

On 9/26/2017 at 3:40 PM, footbull3196 said:

Are we going to completely ignore the fact that Goff's faced a couple of putrid defenses and a middle of the pack defense?  Im happy to see he's playing well and this will definitely build some confidence, but get back to me after he faces the Seahawks in Week 5

I don't like to quote myself, but this is what I was trying to tell everyone lol

1 minute ago, footbull3196 said:

I don't like to quote myself, but this is what I was trying to tell everyone lol

The entire team had a rough day today, but Goff gave the Rams a chance to win the game in the end. I'm not discouraged by this game at all. Young QBs have bad games, especially against great defenses, but Goff didn't let that shake his confidence. He was still delivering at the end. Rams should have won that game, but they left 20 points on the board with stupid errors. McVay and Goff will learn from it.

52 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

The entire team had a rough day today, but Goff gave the Rams a chance to win the game in the end. I'm not discouraged by this game at all. Young QBs have bad games, especially against great defenses, but Goff didn't let that shake his confidence. He was still delivering at the end. Rams should have won that game, but they left 20 points on the board with stupid errors. McVay and Goff will learn from it.

Yeah I don't see it as a major roadblock, this was one of those games that young teams have to learn to win going forward and I'm sure they'll build off of this.  Figured he was eventually in for a rough day though, and this happened to be it

51 minutes ago, footbull3196 said:

Would you be saying this if Kupp catches that ball for the GW TD?

Its funny how one play changes the perception. Goff moved the Rams up and down the field all game long against the tough Seattle D but the Rams offense stalled inside the 20. Gurley unfortunate fumble, Zeurlein unfortunate missed FG. Goff tripped on another possession that pushed the Rams way back behind the chains. That drive ended on a great interception from a screen pass to Gurley. Then of course the drop by Kupp at the end. So thats 4 trips inside the 20 that the Rams came away with no points. Despite all of that, Goff did make some big time throws. He made two of them on that last drive to Higbee and Woods to even give the Rams a chance to win. So again, if Kupp makes that catch for the GW TD, the Goff talk would be totally different right now.

an outing against the seahawks in a divisional game is one of the toughest there is for an ascending player - he's still got eleven more games in which he can continue proving the doubters wrong so just like we shouldn't crown him for four games, it's even more of a misnomer to get off the hype train after one

7 minutes ago, footbull3196 said:

Yeah I don't see it as a major roadblock, this was one of those games that young teams have to learn to win going forward and I'm sure they'll build off of this.  Figured he was eventually in for a rough day though, and this happened to be it

Every QB is going to have a few rough games. I think Goff will be fine. Jags won't be easy next week, though.

5 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

Its funny how one play changes the perception. Goff moved the Rams up and down the field all game long against the tough Seattle D but the Rams offense stalled inside the 20. Gurley unfortunate fumble, Zeurlein unfortunate missed FG. Goff tripped on another possession that pushed the Rams way back behind the chains. That drive ended on a great interception from a screen pass to Gurley. Then of course the drop by Kupp at the end. So thats 4 trips inside the 20 that the Rams came away with no points. Despite all of that, Goff did make some big time throws. He made two of them on that last drive to Higbee and Woods to even give the Rams a chance to win. So again, if Kupp makes that catch for the GW TD, the Goff talk would be totally different right now.

Goff is also partially to blame for the GW TD not being caught. Kupp should have caught it, but Goff should have made the throw easier to catch.

3 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

No, I'd still be saying something similar to this tho, because he still had an off game up to that point (although it was against one of the toughest defenses in the league).  It's definitely not fair to place the entire blame on Goff for today, but this was still by far his worst outing of the season with 22/47 for 288 yards, 0 TDs And 2 INTs.  Considering he completed under half of his passes and averaged barely over 6 yards per attempt, it's not unreasonable to hold this performance against him

3 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Every QB is going to have a few rough games. I think Goff will be fine. Jags won't be easy next week, though.

Goff is also partially to blame for the GW TD not being caught. Kupp should have caught it, but Goff should have made the throw easier to catch.

Yeah Goff couldve made the throw easier, but at the end of the day we both agree Kupp shouldve caught it. If he catches it, Rams win and Goff could go to Kupp and say "I shouldve made it a bit easier, thanks for still coming up with the catch" lol.

1 minute ago, footbull3196 said:

No, I'd still be saying something similar to this tho, because he still had an off game up to that point (although it was against one of the toughest defenses in the league).  It's definitely not fair to place the entire blame on Goff for today, but this was still by far his worst outing of the season with 22/47 for 288 yards, 0 TDs And 2 INTs.  Considering he completed under half of his passes and averaged barely over 6 yards per attempt, it's not unreasonable to hold this performance against him

Oh I agree with you. He didnt have a great performance but all considering the run game was there, Goff still has able to help the Rams move up and down the field but just couldnt get points when they got inside the 20. That was from the very first drive where Gurley fumbled. I personally thought it wasnt a fumbled touchback. It shouldve been fumbled, Rams ball at the 1yd line. But today wasnt the Rams day. It started badly with the fumble and ended badly with the drop. Both plays made a difference in deciding the game.

13 minutes ago, Shady Slim said:

an outing against the seahawks in a divisional game is one of the toughest there is for an ascending player - he's still got eleven more games in which he can continue proving the doubters wrong so just like we shouldn't crown him for four games, it's even more of a misnomer to get off the hype train after one

I agree. Nobody should jump off the bandwagon after one game. If anything I saw some progress from Goff. Remember Week 2 against Washington on that last drive where he stared down Kupp and Jones intercepted it which ended the game? Well in this game, two times Goff moved Thomas with his eyes and completed two big time throws to Higbee and Woods to even give the Rams a shot to win at the end. He definitely learned from that Washington game. I think Goff grows from this and so will Kupp. Its gonna haunt Kupp all week long. Cant wait to see the next time he gets in a situation like this. Im confident he comes up with the catch. But again, until then its gonna haunt him.

Archived