What do we make of Jared Goff's hot start?

Apparition

Let's face it, he was absolutely putrid last year - to the degree that many observers wrote the former #1 overall pick off as a lost cause after less than a full season starting.

Through 3 games this year he's one of the league's top 3 passers, leading all QBs in Y/A, NY/A and ANY/A, and 3rd in passer rating behind Alex Smith and Tom Brady. 

So what's different? Is it mostly scheme-based or has Goff markedly improved in his own right?

Better coaching and talent around him are big factors. He's definitely playing better - looking off defenders, going through progressions. That's stuff that will help him out once defenses begin to adjust. I don't know how good he is or will be, but I think that there's definitely a level of this that is real.

It's a combination of several things:  Significant coaching upgrades, personal improvement and upgraded talent.  Every time I listened to Goff talk during the off-season, he was always accountable.  He had so many outs last season (rookie year, poor coaching, poor offensive line, WR's dropping passes, etc) and never mentioned any of it as an excuse.  Upgrades at offensive line have been big and the WR talent added has been absurd.  Sammy Watkins, Robert Woods and Cooper Kupp - It's ridiculous to improve an entire WR corps in just one off-season that much.

He's been great vs the Colts and Niners and played decently vs the Redskins.  I really believe in Goff and I'm sure he will continue to impress.

Well in regards to Jeff Fisher/McNair, Fisher was also one of the top tier coaches in football in McNair's prime stretch as starter.

7-2 vs Tom Coughlin

7-2 vs Bill Cowher

1-1 vs Bill Belichick

2-0 vs Andy Reid

4-2 vs Tony Dungy

2-0 vs Jon Gruden

The only real winning coach he struggled with was Brian Billick.

But anyway this isn't a Jeff Fisher thread.

Goff was garbage last year and looks serviceable this season. From what I've watched I haven't been blown away, but he at least looks like a starting NFL QB. Bill Walsh I think said you don't know what you have in a QB until 20(I think it was 20 anyway) starts in, so he's got some time to go yet.

33 minutes ago, footbull3196 said:

Are we going to completely ignore the fact that Goff's faced a couple of putrid defenses and a middle of the pack defense?  Im happy to see he's playing well and this will definitely build some confidence, but get back to me after he faces the Seahawks in Week 5

I was going to mention this. 

I have enjoyed watching him play the two games I did see, and he looked much more comfortable. Can't wait to see him play the Seahawks

Archived