Fruits or Veggies?

Fruits or Veggies?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one

• Fruits
    • Veggies

7 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I've actually won a few before at work during rodeo season - no beans of course, because I'm a goddam American.

(Cumin and a little bit of curry powder were the big difference makers...)

Can we talk about this? Because I'm tired of people forcefeeding me chili with beans and telling me that is how chili is

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

I've actually won a few before at work during rodeo season - no beans of course, because I'm a goddam American.

(Cumin and a little bit of curry powder were the big difference makers...)

I douse mine in cumin.  I use chipotle peppers in adobo sauce and chorizo, so I don't actually put any chili powder in mine.  Just cumin, white pepper, and paprika, as far as spices go.

If I'm adding dried chilis, it's as a paste after I rehydrate some guajillos. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

curry powder

BTW, i've been putting this in almost everything lately.  It's great.  

Eggs with curry powder?  Yes
Fried potatoes with curry powder?  Absolutely
Turkey sandwich?  Why not

It makes almost everything better.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I use chipotle peppers in adobo sauce and chorizo, so I don't actually put any chili powder in mine.  

I've tried chorizo and other pork/sausage type products and it always comes out too greasy. Tastes great, but just hits you in the stomach like a ton of bricks...

23 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I've tried chorizo and other pork/sausage type products and it always comes out too greasy. Tastes great, but just hits you in the stomach like a ton of bricks...

Put it in first and use the rendered fat to cook your onions, jalapenos, and bell peppers.

• Like 2

I like beans in my chili.  I've also found that if you use an immersion blender to puree your beans, it adds a nice thickness and mouthful to the chili. If you give that chili to one of these anti-bean people, they'll love it.  Seeing their faces upon the big reveal.....:D

6 hours ago, ravens_rool28 said:

Unless the chili has largish chunks of meat in it, then the chili needs beans for some body.  Beans also add a certain taste that I enjoy in my chili.  Chili without beans and with the meat finely broken apart is only good for hot dogs, burgers, fries, etc...

Yeah, that's what I think.  Chili without beans is a condiment; a damn good condiment, but a condiment nonetheless.  Chili with beans is what I prefer to have in my bowl.

Edited by Daniel

On 28/05/2020 at 5:54 AM, ravens_rool28 said:

If you're using the botanical classification instead of the culinary classification for these then you're a nerd who's just trying to make your inferior choice sound better.  For shame.

Spoken like a veggie defender, desperately clinging to things that just aren't vegetables.

What exactly makes "vegetables" superior?  Other than the things that aren't actually vegetables?