Matt Ryan vs Big Ben

Chargers

On 5/18/2020 at 6:41 PM, DannyB said:

I dunno man...I feel like by most objective, logical observations, Ryan looks like the better quarterback. But in his prime, even if it wasn't always pretty, Ben just had little bit of that...clutch/winner thing. Like, I've never been specifically scared of Matt Ryan with the ball of his hands in crunch time. In a broad sense, I've seen enough Packers defenses to know that I should be scared of ANY opposing player under center, even if it's the third string QB/backup punter. But Ryan specifically? Nah. Big Ben, Russell Wilson, and some others, yes.

Matt Ryan has more 4th quarter comebacks than any QB in the NFL since 2008. He's also 8th all time and the 7 guys ahead of him are Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Dan Marino, John Elway, Tom Brady and Ben Roethlisberger.

He also has just 6 less than Brady in 8 less years. 5 less than Brees in 7 less years. 4 less than Unitas in 6 less years, 3 less than Marino in 5 less years, 1 less than Elway and Roethlisberger in 4 less years. 

There's a reason why he's called Matty Ice. He's the only QB with a shot of touching Peyton Manning's 43 4QC in the next couple of years. Oh, and 3 of his 4QC have been against the Packers.

23 minutes ago, scar988 said:

Matt Ryan has more 4th quarter comebacks than any QB in the NFL since 2008. He's also 8th all time and the 7 guys ahead of him are Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Dan Marino, John Elway, Tom Brady and Ben Roethlisberger.

He also has just 6 less than Brady in 8 less years. 5 less than Brees in 7 less years. 4 less than Unitas in 6 less years, 3 less than Marino in 5 less years, 1 less than Elway and Roethlisberger in 4 less years. 

There's a reason why he's called Matty Ice. He's the only QB with a shot of touching Peyton Manning's 43 4QC in the next couple of years. Oh, and 3 of his 4QC have been against the Packers.

I literally don't care about the "4th quarter comeback" stat. And the fact that he's that close to some of the game's all-time greats only makes it more dubious. You know who's close to Matt Ryan and has fewer starts? Matt Stafford, and I think he's about as bad of a starter that I'd want on for my team before I'm actively looking to replace him. Oh, and congrats on Matty recently passing Vinny Testaverde though. You know it's special when you're in that kind of revered company.

I'm not getting into numbers, I'm just saying the feeling I got from the quarterbacks. I'm not trying to quantify it or produce heavily researched data. I'm just telling you how I felt.

Oh, and of COURSE many of his comebacks have been against the Packers. All quarterbacks can come back and quickly score against our defense. That's why I said I have a healthy fear of ANY quarterback against our defense. And why do so many quarterbacks have 4th quarter comebacks against the Packers? Because Rodgers routinely has the team in a position to win, until our defense gags.

7 hours ago, DannyB said:

I literally don't care about the "4th quarter comeback" stat. And the fact that he's that close to some of the game's all-time greats only makes it more dubious. You know who's close to Matt Ryan and has fewer starts? Matt Stafford, and I think he's about as bad of a starter that I'd want on for my team before I'm actively looking to replace him. Oh, and congrats on Matty recently passing Vinny Testaverde though. You know it's special when you're in that kind of revered company.

I'm not getting into numbers, I'm just saying the feeling I got from the quarterbacks. I'm not trying to quantify it or produce heavily researched data. I'm just telling you how I felt.

Oh, and of COURSE many of his comebacks have been against the Packers. All quarterbacks can come back and quickly score against our defense. That's why I said I have a healthy fear of ANY quarterback against our defense. And why do so many quarterbacks have 4th quarter comebacks against the Packers? Because Rodgers routinely has the team in a position to win, until our defense gags.

I think the reason you believe that is because Big Ben is better at escaping a sack and making a throw on the run better than Ryan can. Plenty of times versus the Ravens I saw Big Ben escape a for sure sack and make a 1st down throw. He also plays outdoors in some of the worse weather in the NFL that makes it difficult to play well as a QB.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, scar988 said:

I'm curious to see 4th quarter comebacks as a % instead of a straight number. Of course the Falcons QB has almost as many as the Steelers and Patriots QBs do, he has had more opportunities.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

I'm curious to see 4th quarter comebacks as a % instead of a straight number. Of course the Falcons QB has almost as many as the Steelers and Patriots QBs do, he has had more opportunities.

Which should tell you how much better he is as a QB than those Steelers and Patriots QBs are in that situation. FWIW Scott Kacsmar from Football Outsiders and PFREF has done the studies and Ryan is in the top 3 all time for % of GWD and % of 4QC situations. (He's behind only Brady and Manning)

Edited by scar988

23 hours ago, scar988 said:

How about maintaining a 28-3 lead?

• Like 4

😡
On 5/18/2020 at 5:41 PM, DannyB said:

I dunno man...I feel like by most objective, logical observations, Ryan looks like the better quarterback. But in his prime, even if it wasn't always pretty, Ben just had little bit of that...clutch/winner thing. Like, I've never been specifically scared of Matt Ryan with the ball of his hands in crunch time. In a broad sense, I've seen enough Packers defenses to know that I should be scared of ANY opposing player under center, even if it's the third string QB/backup punter. But Ryan specifically? Nah. Big Ben, Russell Wilson, and some others, yes.

Kirk Cousins?  ;)

16 hours ago, scar988 said:

Defense blew that lead. Coaching blew that lead. Matt Ryan wasn’t why they lost that game. And if you think he is, you’re a dumbass 

8:31 4th QT (28-12): 3rd and 1, took a sack and fumbled (Killer) If he completes the pass he extends the drive and possibly puts points on the board in addition to taking more time off of the clock, if he throws away the ball, they can at least pin them in poor field position and make them go 90+ yards to score

3:55 4th QT (28-20):  2nd and 11, takes a sack (Killer) if he completes even the shortest of passes, he could at least gotten it do a manageable 3rd down as well as continue running the clock down, he throws the ball away, at least its not a sack

3:44 4th QT (28-20): 3rd and 33, incomplete, what can you do?, possibly thrown one deep to try to draw a P.I. and get a cheap first down to keep the drive alive

I'm not offended by your insult because its clear you flat out don't know football and how it works, if he could have lead them to at least 3 additional points, they probably win the Super Bowl and he had ample opportunity to do so.

51 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

8:31 4th QT (28-12): 3rd and 1, took a sack and fumbled (Killer) If he completes the pass he extends the drive and possibly puts points on the board in addition to taking more time off of the clock, if he throws away the ball, they can at least pin them in poor field position and make them go 90+ yards to score

3:55 4th QT (28-20):  2nd and 11, takes a sack (Killer) if he completes even the shortest of passes, he could at least gotten it do a manageable 3rd down as well as continue running the clock down, he throws the ball away, at least its not a sack

3:44 4th QT (28-20): 3rd and 33, incomplete, what can you do?, possibly thrown one deep to try to draw a P.I. and get a cheap first down to keep the drive alive

I'm not offended by your insult because its clear you flat out don't know football and how it works, if he could have lead them to at least 3 additional points, they probably win the Super Bowl and he had ample opportunity to do so.

Shanahan should have called runs at 3:55 and 3:44 to burn clock. They were in FG range. It wasn't rocket science. That's not on Ryan. Not to mention the refs missing facemask calls on Rowe and Logan Ryan on those 2nd and 3rd down plays. But yeah, you don't know what you're talking about. That loss wasn't on Ryan. 

So the one pass that he took the sack and fumbled when Devonta Freeman completely missed the block after Ryan yelled to point it out? Yeah, dude, you don't know what you are talking about.

The loss was on Shanahan. It was on Alford for Dropping a Pick for Edelman to make some ridiculous catch on. It was on Freeman for missing a block. But Matt Ryan didn't do anything wrong.