Rivera: It takes 3-5 years to build a culture

5 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Relating to Culture-Can anyone imagine a player giving Rivera a "purple nurple".. How would that play out ?

He'd take it as a joke. All coaches would, even Belichick.

I mean what should Gruden have done? Cut Djax? Get outta here w/ that noise!

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

I don't know that Jared Goff was considered to be a better option at QB then Haskins is when Sean McVay went to the Rams. His previous/rookie season certainly didn't show that. No one knew what to expect from Jimmy G when he came back from his ACL tear last year and he really hadn't shown much before last season and even last season was up and down for him but his running game and D bailed him out a lot.

I will say this to slightly disagree with @e16bball’s the 49ers did not make a lot of FA acquisitions to build their team, nor did the Colts to turn their team around in 2012. The49ers mostly built that Super Bowl team in the draft, same with the Chiefs.

I think people really need to open up their eyes to the fact that almost every good and great team is built almost entirely through the draft, with those young players developing and growing into a great team over several seasons.

Goff and the Jaguars are the reason I said most teams.  Either way, the Rams were a much better constructed roster and already were disciplined with Fisher.  Bringing in McVay and Phillips to re-vitalize everything paid huge dividends.  As for the 49ers, you have a point about Jimmy G, but he had plenty of experience learning with Brady and Belichick, and to the other point, they made big moves last off-season as they saw their window opening up.  That's been my point all along- you supplement in FA when you can maximize the current talent on the roster, and I don't think we are there yet.  

Either way, this is not a roster that has quick turnaround potential, especially in need of installing a culture that is a 180 turn from what the players are used to.  

22 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Goff and the Jaguars are the reason I said most teams.  Either way, the Rams were a much better constructed roster and already were disciplined with Fisher.  Bringing in McVay and Phillips to re-vitalize everything paid huge dividends.  As for the 49ers, you have a point about Jimmy G, but he had plenty of experience learning with Brady and Belichick, and to the other point, they made big moves last off-season as they saw their window opening up.  That's been my point all along- you supplement in FA when you can maximize the current talent on the roster, and I don't think we are there yet.  

Either way, this is not a roster that has quick turnaround potential, especially in need of installing a culture that is a 180 turn from what the players are used to.  

I don’t know why the Redskins don’t have quick turnaround potential after this year. The Redskins have a boatload of talent in certain positions, namely their DL and when healthy, RB. I don’t expect them to be much better this year, but I’d be shocked if they aren’t at least 7-9 in 2021. 

The Rams were not well constructed before McVay & Phillips got their. Just bc they had a few top talent players like Gurley, Donald and Quinn, doesn’t mean they were well constructed. If they were well constructed, Fisher would’ve won more that 4 games in 2016.

When McVay & Phillips were hired, Snead traded for Sammy Watkins, signed Robert Woods, Whitworth, Sullivan (C) and Conor Barwin. 

The Jags spent like crazy on free agents for their defense and they got one good year out of it, now look at them, arguably the worst roster in the league.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

I don’t know why the Redskins don’t have quick turnarounds potential after this year. The Redskins have a boatload of talent in certain positions, namely their DL and when healthy RB. I don’t expect them to be much better this year, but I’d be shocked if they aren’t at least 7-9 in 2021. 

The Rams were not well constructed before McVay & Phillips got their. Just bc they had a few top talent players like Gurley & Donald, doesn’t mean they were well constructed. If they were well constructed, Fisher would’ve won more that 4 games in 2016.

When McVay & Phillips were hired, Snead traded for Sammy Watkins, signed Robert Woods, Whitworth, Sullivan (C) and Conor Barwin. 

The Jags spent like crazy on free agents for their defense and they got one good year out of it, now look at them, arguably the worst roster in the league.

In 2021 they might do well.  .500 would be the ideal goal.  I dont think we are sniffing a division win, but might come close to a Wild Card.  But with the way I've evaluated the roster, I don't see playoffs happening.  

15 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

In 2021 they might do well.  .500 would be the ideal goal.  I dont think we are sniffing a division win, but might come close to a Wild Card.  But with the way I've evaluated the roster, I don't see playoffs happening.  

Generally, the NFC EAST has beaten up on each other and been all near the same record - save a few seasons - since the 70s. I don’t see any of the 4 teams in the NFC East largely better than the others - especially since the Cowboys always seem to crap themselves besides having Super Bowl talent. 

If the Redskins are around .500 in the 2021 season it will most likely mean that they are in the running for the Division in December. At best I’d see the Cowboys or Eagles winning 11 games each of the next two seasons.

Edited by turtle28

22 hours ago, turtle28 said:

He'd take it as a joke. All coaches would, even Belichick.

I mean what should Gruden have done? Cut Djax? Get outta here w/ that noise!

There's no way Belichek would take that as a joke. I don't see it. 

But that's probably because no player would do it either. 

50 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

There's no way Belichek would take that as a joke. I don't see it. 

But that's probably because no player would do it either. 

Yes he would. Bill’s players that he was closest to like Tedy Bruschi and Willie McGinest always say that he's a jokester a lot when he's amongst the team but, the public doesn't see that bc Bill gives nothing away to the media and he acts dry during press conferences.

Now joking around at times doesn't mean that Bill doesn't expect perfection in practice. Those two things can be separated at different times when he's around the team. 

Edited by turtle28

6 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

How long does it take to build a competent medical/training staff?

This is what I've been saying. re: the training staff = we're not just unlucky. Luck like that doesn't just happen year after year for a decade.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

This is what I've been saying. re: the training staff = we're not just unlucky. Luck like that doesn't just happen year after year for a decade.

Bodybag game/season? Poor training staff or bad luck?

Edited by turtle28

11 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Bodybag game/season? Poor training staff or bad luck?

*sigh*

We've been over this a million times dude. Cherry picking one game or another doesn't give you the whole picture. In the 90's we were generally a more healthy team. This was basically a bad luck game.

Contrast that with the regime for the last decade or so where we've been at the bottom consistently. That's not bad luck.

52 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

*sigh*

We've been over this a million times dude. Cherry picking one game or another doesn't give you the whole picture. In the 90's we were generally a more healthy team. This was basically a bad luck game.

Contrast that with the regime for the last decade or so where we've been at the bottom consistently. That's not bad luck.

Not going to say it's all bad luck, but we also drafted and signed a lot of guys who had injury issues before we drafted or signed them.

Jordan Reed, CT, Paul Richardson and Bryce Love come to mind. Also, another example is RG3, when he was drafted he had already had an ACL repair in college. And I'm probably missing some.

It's going to be incredibly interesting if in the coming years if our injuries change dramatically.

On 5/28/2020 at 1:05 PM, mar29020 said:

Mcvay did it in a year. depends how much we win

McVay also had more talent to work with, and no one can argue Jeff Fisher, while not the best coach X and O wise, doesn't have a good culture in the locker room.  On the scale of Rivera to Club Jay, Fisher would be 90% on the Rivera side.  

Rebuilding the culture is key to the Redskins turnaround, and this kind of stuff no matter the talent level, happens overnight.  It doesn't help that we don't have much of the talent right now either because of how mediocre we became in the middle of the Gruden tenure.  

2 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

McVay also had more talent to work with, and no one can argue Jeff Fisher, while not the best coach X and O wise, doesn't have a good culture in the locker room.  On the scale of Rivera to Club Jay, Fisher would be 90% on the Rivera side.  

Rebuilding the culture is key to the Redskins turnaround, and this kind of stuff no matter the talent level, happens overnight.  It doesn't help that we don't have much of the talent right now either because of how mediocre we became in the middle of the Gruden tenure.  

TBD. On paper it doesn’t look like we have the talent bc most of our team is young and unproven, but that doesn’t mean that we actually don’t have the talent to have a turn around with the core of players we have right now.