Browns General Discussion

candyman93

Between Kiwi and Candyman, it sounds like we need to jettison any underperforming talent, regardless of the value they could bring in the future (especially the guys on rookie contracts LOL). I know this might be a novel idea, but maybe we should stick with some of the guys who have performed well consistently in the past, especially if they are cheap, instead of rolling the dice with draft picks. It's not like Andrew Berry is killing it in the draft year in and year out.

Edited by Here'sJim

1 hour ago, Here'sJim said:

Between Kiwi and Candyman, it sounds like we need to jettison any underperforming talent, regardless of the value they could bring in the future (especially the guys on rookie contracts LOL). I know this might be a novel idea, but maybe we should stick with some of the guys who have performed well consistently in the past, especially if they are cheap, instead of rolling the dice with draft picks. It's not like Andrew Berry is killing it in the draft year in and year out.

Jed isn't a good culture fit, he seems depressed. 

It's jot like he is cheap either.

12 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Jed isn't a good culture fit, he seems depressed. 

It's jot like he is cheap either.

I think we all understand that there is mentality issue, but the dude is 23 and talented. I think it's worth waiting to see if things change. Btw, if you think paying 5-6 mil for a starting left tackle is expensive, I don't know what to tell you. It would look hella dumb to trade him for a 3rd round pick, have him play well somewhere else, all while trying to fill the hole with draft capital we don't have.

16 minutes ago, Here'sJim said:

I think we all understand that there is mentality issue, but the dude is 23 and talented. I think it's worth waiting to see if things change. Btw, if you think paying 5-6 mil for a starting left tackle is expensive, I don't know what to tell you. It would look hella dumb to trade him for a 3rd round pick, have him play well somewhere else, all while trying to fill the hole with draft capital we don't have.

I'd consider a 2nd for him.

If someone wanted ward for a 1st would you consider that?

1 hour ago, Here'sJim said:

Happens all the time though. Baker for example. If we don't foresee him getting better, why hold on to him while he plays at a subpar level? Wills is cheap now and next year but then you have to decide to pick up his 5th year option which won't be cheap. I think I'd like to slide him back to RT next season and see if he is better there even though finding a LT isn't easy (See Jed Wills). We'll have to cross that bridge the following year anyway or pay Wills a lot of money. 

1 minute ago, Thomas5737 said:

Happens all the time though. Baker for example. If we don't foresee him getting better, why hold on to him while he plays at a subpar level? Wills is cheap now and next year but then you have to decide to pick up his 5th year option which won't be cheap. I think I'd like to slide him back to RT next season and see if he is better there even though finding a LT isn't easy (See Jed Wills). We'll have to cross that bridge the following year anyway or pay Wills a lot of money. 

I'm keeping him for the very reasons you described. If there is undeniable evidence that things aren't getting better, then you do what you have to do after next year and cut bait. However, I think I would rather gamble on Jed fixing his mentality over the course of next year then gamble on whatever rookie we can get in a later round.

1 hour ago, Kiwibrown said:

I'd consider a 2nd for him.

If someone wanted ward for a 1st would you consider that?

No, because besides other obvious reasons, what's that 1st going to turn into? And what happens if our starting secondary players start getting hurt next year? Do we have the depth to contend still?

If we consider ourselves contenders, we should not be rolling the dice on rookies compared to good veterans who have produced in our scheme previously. We just don't draft well enough to do that and we don't have enough time develop players.

If we aren't contenders, we messed up. We traded 3 first rounders for our qb and we are paying him 50 mil a year. At this point, we have to roll with the picks that we have and hope for the best.

57 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Eh, it's a valid reactionary suggestion. Trading him during the offseason would come with a $20+ million cap hit so it 100% can't and won't happen. Not even for three 1sts. We just couldn't do it. 

I mean, Ward is a good player.  He’s a man/press guy and that’s not what Woods wants to do.  Find a guy who can coach this defense up and play to his strengths and a guy like Ward will be fine.

1 hour ago, Thomas5737 said:

Eh, it's a valid reactionary suggestion. Trading him during the offseason would come with a $20+ million cap hit so it 100% can't and won't happen. Not even for three 1sts. We just couldn't do it. 

They can take gtd money in trades. It happened with Baker.

I'd like to see ward either play better or play more man