Browns General Discussion

candyman93

5 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Not sure about Lamar. He has 33 TD and 20 interceptions over the last two seasons (24 games). He has been mediocre at best and that's factoring in his running. Harbaugh seems to have more to do with their winning, while maybe not an all time great coach he keeps them motivated. I'm not 100% sure the Ravens even strike a deal with Jackson.

Hopefully some Ravens fans get their wish and they fire Harbaugh and extend Lamar.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Sacks and picks aren’t bad or whatever per se, it’s the timing of them.  If it’s 3rd down and you’re out of FG range, a sack doesn’t mean much.  It means you’re punting from a bit further.  Same with a pick of you’re pushing it down the field.  It’s essentially a punt.

The problem becomes when those plays take points off the board.

I wish there were stats that measured how QBs perform in situations (inside their own 20, at midfield, at your opponents 40-20 yard range, and red zone.

The QBs who kill it in the opponents 40-20 yard line range I think are special franchise QBs. The field is condensed, so you can’t chuck a bomb. It’s tougher running the ball because the safeties are up closer. Defensive coordinators will be aggressive to knock you out of field goal range.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Sacks and picks aren’t bad or whatever per se, it’s the timing of them.  If it’s 3rd down and you’re out of FG range, a sack doesn’t mean much.  It means you’re punting from a bit further.  Same with a pick of you’re pushing it down the field.  It’s essentially a punt.

The problem becomes when those plays take points off the board.

3rd down sacks are very important because of what didn't transpire. Now it isn't much different than an incompletion but it could be a big difference if the resulting play is a 1st down.

Otherwise I agree.

7 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

3rd down sacks are very important because of what didn't transpire. Now it isn't much different than an incompletion but it could be a big difference if the resulting play is a 1st down.

Otherwise I agree.

Yeah all I’m saying is some people look at a QB throwing 2 picks as having a pretty terrible game and harming his team when in reality those could be pretty meaningless picks.

A pick on 2nd and goal from the 1 is a whole different thing than a pick on 3rd and 18 from your own 45 .

3 hours ago, candyman93 said:

I think we will cut John Johnson as a post-June 1st cut. He just doesn’t do his job and would free up 9.5 mil.

It may be better to do it before June 1st so it doesn't hit the cap in 2024 (-8.85 million) when things are going to be very tight. Would only save 900k in 2023 but he'd be off the books.

56 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Where are you reading the 2024 cap hit…?

OTC.

When you cut someone after June 1st the future years dead money goes to the following year's cap it doesn't just disappear. So we would have 3.75 of dead money in 2023, his prorated bonus for 2023 and his bonuses for his 3 voided years would come in 2024 (8.85 million). If you cut pre June 1 it goes on that year's cap, which would be 12.6 (or both number added together.

You have to love some pre-game news dumps as the Cleveland Browns and the New Orleans Saints get set for their Christmas Eve battle. While it was expected throughout the season that head coach Kevin Stefanski would get the chance to see through a full season with quarterback Deshaun Watson, Jonathan Jones of CBS Sports has stated that Jimmy and Dee Haslem “haven’t considered making a change.”

Jones, however, did hint that the Browns could look to bring in a new face or two on their offensive staff to help meld the classic wide-zone system with some of the concepts that best suit Watson’s play style. Stefanski has done a good job of incorporating zone-reads, run-pass-options, and increasing tempo and empty looks over the last three weeks, but hiring a guy who specializes in Spread and Air Raid concepts would be a great idea for the Browns.

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2022/12/24/browns-retaining-kevin-stefanski-2023/

If this guy is right, the Browns are going to do exactly what I’ve been saying.

We’re not going to run Chubb as much for the rest of the year because: 1. We don’t want him banged up. 2. We’re basically running a new offense next year that’s more pass heavy. Which means we need more WRs.

24 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

OTC.

When you cut someone after June 1st the future years dead money goes to the following year's cap it doesn't just disappear. So we would have 3.75 of dead money in 2023, his prorated bonus for 2023 and his bonuses for his 3 voided years would come in 2024 (8.85 million). If you cut pre June 1 it goes on that year's cap, which would be 12.6 (or both number added together.

That’s not what OTC is showing.