Browns General Discussion

candyman93

6 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Post June 1 the money is spread over the 4 remaining years on the deal (including the void years).

The money is spread out if the contract expires, if you cut a player, any player, all prorated money is taken out that year (pre June 1) or the following year (post June 1)

Look at the cap number for 2024 on your screenshot.

1 hour ago, Thomas5737 said:

The money is spread out if the contract expires, if you cut a player, any player, all prorated money is taken out that year (pre June 1) or the following year (post June 1)

That completely defeats the purpose of adding void years.  They’re added to spread guaranteed money over longer periods of time.

1 hour ago, Thomas5737 said:

Look at the cap number for 2024 on your screenshot.

The cap number is if they’re on the roster.  The screenshot shows exactly how much they save and how much dead cap there is each season.

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

I’ll be really curious to see if we stick with the 4-3 or go to a 3-4.

If we switched, we would 100% need a OLB to compliment Myles. We’d also have to break bank for Daron Payne to play NT.

In the year of our lord 2023 I’d hope like hell it’s not a firm 4-3 or 3-4 but a hybrid defense that utilizes both at times.  

I think the big misconception is people think you need 2 gap DL to run a 3-4 when you absolutely can run a 1 gap scheme.  That’s what Phillips runs iirc.

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

That completely defeats the purpose of adding void years.  They’re added to spread guaranteed money over longer periods of time.

Uh huh, and what happens when you cut a player? Can you still apply their bonuses over the original life of their contract?

The voided years are to save you money short term once the contract expires. We have to let it play out to use the voided years by year (I'm pretty sure anyway).

5 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Uh huh, and what happens when you cut a player? Can you still apply their bonuses over the original life of their contract?

no clue.  I’m just using their numbers that they provide under the exact circumstances we’re discussing.

5 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

The voided years are to save you money short term once the contract expires. We have to let it play out to use the voided years by year (I'm pretty sure anyway).

If I’m being honest I’m not sure this whole thing won’t be a moot point as I think we end up keeping JJIII. Or at least there’s strong possibility of it.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

If I’m being honest I’m not sure this whole thing won’t be a moot point as I think we end up keeping JJIII. Or at least there’s strong possibility of it.

I think it will be more of a future cap decision than anything. If we let the contract play out there won't be any big cap hits (under 4) or we could eat it all next year and not worry about it.

It really may come down to how the future DC likes him. Heck, we could even extend him if they think it's a good fit.

• Like 1

Running the ball doesn’t translate to wins anymore. The top 3 rushers in the NFL are all on losing teams.

Do you think it’s a coincidence we get absolutely hammered with holding calls? The NFL doesn’t want a Nick Chubb being the face of the league. They’re kinda cool with Derrick Henry because he’s the size of a semi truck. 

31 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

Grossi is so annoying, waits for us to lose a bad weather game at home where our backs averages 3.2 ypc to report some rift between Stefanski and DePo that probably doesn't exist. 

Depo has had reported issues with everyone we’ve had so far. Hue,Freddie,Dorsey so I don’t think a Stefanski riff is too far of a reach. 

2 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

I think it will be more of a future cap decision than anything. If we let the contract play out there won't be any big cap hits (under 4) or we could eat it all next year and not worry about it.

It really may come down to how the future DC likes him. Heck, we could even extend him if they think it's a good fit.

Maybe it’s my own opinion of woods, but I wouldn’t be looking to get rid of anything from our defense talent wise, just add when able.

I’d like to see what someone else can do with the pieces before is start scrapping anything.