Browns General Discussion

candyman93

For the team this year-

Even if it’s rough record wise, I want to see how guys develop. Imagine if Grant Delpit takes a JOK type of step forward or say Michael Hall shows flashes of being a guy who can give you 7+ sacks a year as a 3-tech.

We have 3 all pro level stars on defense. Imagine if 1-2 more guys breakout with that unit.

The offense is gonna be a train wreck where we just hope for the best.

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I can’t wait for the Watson apologists again this year with absurd excuses. Making out my bingo board now.

”He’s coming off of surgery”

”It’s a new system”

”Dorsey sucks”

”Stefanski shouldn’t be calling plays”

”We don’t have a running game”, bonus points for the contradiction 2 years ago about how archaic the running game is in todays NFL

”Insert generic comment here critical of the offensive line only having 2-3 pro bowl caliber players and needing a madden-esque OL with 5 guys 92 overall or better”

”Tough schedule”

”The defense regressed some” - bonus points for that having nothing to do with the offensive side

”Every quarterback has a few bad games”

”Just give it time, be patient, Browns fans are so impatient.” Bonus points for irony and it being Year 3.

He's 8-4!

Sure he has 14/9 TD to INT ratio and an 81 rating but what a winner.

I don't think anyone has his back if he fails this year though. There are limits. It doesn't matter though, he is here through 2026 unless someone is willing to give him 46 million per year to take him off his hands, which they wouldn't if we were trying to get rid of him. So when you are stuck you may try to find excuses or be unreasonably optimistic just because you are tied to him but I don't think anyone will be convincing with it.

Somehow he is less toxic to Browns fans in general than Baker was so he at least has that going for him. He isn't well liked but he doesn't get picked apart the same way. If it wasn't for his rapiness I think we'd all be okay with taking this adventure even if it didn't have the expected outcome.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

He's 8-4!

Sure he has 14/9 TD to INT ratio and an 81 rating but what a winner.

I don't think anyone has his back if he fails this year though. There are limits. It doesn't matter though, he is here through 2026 unless someone is willing to give him 46 million per year to take him off his hands, which they wouldn't if we were trying to get rid of him. So when you are stuck you may try to find excuses or be unreasonably optimistic just because you are tied to him but I don't think anyone will be convincing with it.

Somehow he is less toxic to Browns fans in general than Baker was so he at least has that going for him. He isn't well liked but he doesn't get picked apart the same way. If it wasn't for his rapiness I think we'd all be okay with taking this adventure even if it didn't have the expected outcome.

Baker was prickly with media and made the mistake of calling guys out who wanted to get paid/inserted himself into that, which ostracized him. I never believed in Baker as a franchise quarterback for a plethora of reasons, but I at least advocated for letting him play out his fifth year option here, and now we’re stuck with Watson through 2026 with zero outs.

3 more years of this nonsense and by then all of our good veterans will be pst their primes and without any draft capital to fill that 3 year void (the past 3 drafts aside from Emerson and DeWand have been Armageddon level bad), they’ll nuke it and start over, just in time for the lease to run out and fans will be put in a bad position with the stadium deal being on hold.

3 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Baker was prickly with media and made the mistake of calling guys out who wanted to get paid/inserted himself into that, which ostracized him. I never believed in Baker as a franchise quarterback for a plethora of reasons, but I at least advocated for letting him play out his fifth year option here, and now we’re stuck with Watson through 2026 with zero outs.

3 more years of this nonsense and by then all of our good veterans will be pst their primes and without any draft capital to fill that 3 year void (the past 3 drafts aside from Emerson and DeWand have been Armageddon level bad), they’ll nuke it and start over, just in time for the lease to run out and fans will be put in a bad position with the stadium deal being on hold.

It seemed like it was a do or die trade. A good roster giving up what they did was a hail mary for a chip. I thought they would have to the end of this year to get deep in the playoffs or it would be blown up but they just gave extensions so maybe success wasn't as necessary as I thought it was when the trade when down.

43 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

It seemed like it was a do or die trade. A good roster giving up what they did was a hail mary for a chip. I thought they would have to the end of this year to get deep in the playoffs or it would be blown up but they just gave extensions so maybe success wasn't as necessary as I thought it was when the trade when down.

It’s because we’ve lucked out and still been able to add talent despite the depleted amount of draft picks.

I’ll try to word this correctly. Think of MJ Emerson being a 1st rounder if there was a re-draft. If Dawand Jones builds upon his rookie season, you could make the same argument for him being a “1st rounder” if there was a redraft.

Same thing can be said if any of our rookies from the 2024 class blossom as well.

You’re not in crisis “blow it up” mode until none of your draft picks are giving you anything.

7 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I can’t wait for the Watson apologists again this year with absurd excuses. Making out my bingo board now.

I’m not saying we won’t hear them, but I don’t think they’ll be that common tbh.  I think most of the fanbase is in the “it’s time to sht or get off the pot” camp, myself included. 

”He’s coming off of surgery”

he’s been throwing all of training camp.  No excuse imo.

”It’s a new system”

constructed around his preferences.  I’m not saying he’s gonna look amazing initially, but he should be adequate from the start.

”Dorsey sucks”

He’s a proven commodity.

”Stefanski shouldn’t be calling plays”

Another proven commodity.

”We don’t have a running game”, bonus points for the contradiction 2 years ago about how archaic the running game is in todays NFL

No one said running the ball is archaic, they said building a run first offense was archaic.  Let’s not misrepresent stuff intentionally lol.

”Insert generic comment here critical of the offensive line only having 2-3 pro bowl caliber players and needing a madden-esque OL with 5 guys 92 overall or better”

Browns fans have an odd perception of what an OL looks like for pretty much every team in the league. 

”Tough schedule”

good teams play tough schedules.  Playoffs are hard.  You have to beat good teams if you want to win anything of note.  That said, I don’t care about seeding or regular season records tbh, just make the playoffs.

”The defense regressed some” - bonus points for that having nothing to do with the offensive side

The defense is gonna regress most likely, at least statistically.  

”Every quarterback has a few bad games”

well, that’s true and is absolutely gonna happen lol

”Just give it time, be patient, Browns fans are so impatient.” Bonus points for irony and it being Year 3.

2 years is patient.  Time’s up imo.

I don’t see any point in doing the evaluation of him or his play or future after every game, but by season’s end we will have what I consider to be enough to make a definitive decision moving forward.

6 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Mice

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’m not saying we won’t hear them, but I don’t think they’ll be that common tbh.  I think most of the fanbase is in the “it’s time to sht or get off the pot” camp, myself included. 

Collecting receipts 

he’s been throwing all of training camp.  No excuse imo.

Season 5 Nbc GIF by The Office

constructed around his preferences.  I’m not saying he’s gonna look amazing initially, but he should be adequate from the start.

Funny nothing was broken with the offense until he got here 

He’s a proven commodity.

Another proven commodity.

Season 5 Nbc GIF by The Office

No one said running the ball is archaic, they said building a run first offense was archaic.  Let’s not misrepresent stuff intentionally lol.

“In todays NFL you don’t need a good running game” has been spewed relentlessly here.

Browns fans have an odd perception of what an OL looks like for pretty much every team in the league. 

PTSD from Jim Pyne and those scrubs killing Tim Couch, and overcorrection

good teams play tough schedules.  Playoffs are hard.  You have to beat good teams if you want to win anything of note.  That said, I don’t care about seeding or regular season records tbh, just make the playoffs.

The Oilers stopped playing football in the mid 90s and have won a division more recently. I get what you’re saying but I’m tired of limping in on the rare occasions we make it.

The defense is gonna regress most likely, at least statistically.

100%

well, that’s true and is absolutely gonna happen lol

I’m using that phrase liberally on purpose. Somehow playing 1/2 of good to great football is the norm and the rest are outliers. Gimme a break.

2 years is patient.  Time’s up imo.

I don’t see any point in doing the evaluation of him or his play or future after every game, but by season’s end we will have what I consider to be enough to make a definitive decision moving forward.

To do what exactly? Still pay and play him for 2 more years. There’s no other alternative whatsoever.