Browns General Discussion

candyman93

8 hours ago, FGK said:

I'd go way beyond all of this. Watson violated so, so many of the guardrails that Berry/Podesta/Stef put in place years ago. And there have been in the know people saying it was a Truck Stop Jimmy move for years, even when they thought the Browns were at least getting a good QB even if also getting a terrible person. I don't know that we'll ever know for sure, but I'm totally convinced that this was an ownership overriding the FO move. Because the thing is, with Jimmy impulsivity, if Watson had looked this bad, for this long, and they didn't all know it was Jimmy's decision, he would've fired one or all of them by now.

AB would 100% have been fired last off-season if he was the person responsible for Watson imo. Stefanski sticks around due to his success with Brissett, Flacco, etc., over the last few years, but AB would have been toast.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

AB would 100% have been fired last off-season if he was the person responsible for Watson imo. Stefanski sticks around due to his success with Brissett, Flacco, etc., over the last few years, but AB would have been toast.

I don't believe Haslam negotiated the trade or contract. He may have said go get him, do whatever it takes but if you follow through it could be looked at as malfeasance of duty all things considered.

Also, if you let somebody do your job for you how can you defend yourself about the job you did? If his hands were tied he should have taken a stand and if he was fired for it he could tell his story and still be a valuable commodity. Now if he is fired he would only be pursued as a puppet for a meddling owner. Pretty much ruining his reputation.

40 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

I don't believe Haslam negotiated the trade or contract. He may have said go get him, do whatever it takes but if you follow through it could be looked at as malfeasance of duty all things considered.

I don’t think he negotiated the deal, I think he said something along the lines of “How bout if we guaranteed the whole thing? AB, hammer out the details” etc 

40 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Also, if you let somebody do your job for you how can you defend yourself about the job you did? If his hands were tied he should have taken a stand and if he was fired for it he could tell his story and still be a valuable commodity. Now if he is fired he would only be pursued as a puppet for a meddling owner. Pretty much ruining his reputation.

I mean, the same way we continue to get competent people to apply and take jobs here.  There are only 32 of them and I’m sure there are lots of qualified folks right now who’d love a crack at it.  

I don’t disagree that more should, but the reality is no one is turning down the opportunity or going to give up their job and expect another any time soon. 

Good morning Browns loyalists. I come bearing happy tidings on this Monday morning. Just like old times, we are to the point in the season where we are thinking about how high we get to pick in the upcoming draft. NFL tankathon projects the Browns picking fifth and the 2025 draft, barring that Anthony Berry doesn’t trade any of our first round future assets for any other bums. 
Unfortunately, this also means we are likely to take the 4th best draft pick. Prime Shedeur Sanders territory.

Edited by NateDawg
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, NateDawg said:

Good morning Browns loyalists. I come bearing happy tidings on this Monday morning. Just like old times, we are to the point in the season where we are thinking about how high we get to pick in the upcoming draft. NFL tankathon projects the Browns picking fifth and the 2025 draft, barring that Anthony Berry doesn’t trade any of our first round future assets for any other bums. 
Unfortunately, this also means we are likely to take the 4th best draft pick. Prime Shedeur Sanders territory.

Get Shadeur, he refuses to come here, 4th overall pick lost, new laughingstock material for the league, 2026 we draft someone else, who immediately is killed in a car accident, and Haslem moves the team in 2027.

In 2029, Renovations on the new Cleveland Browns Stadium are halted after discovering an Indian Burial Ground, Browns move to Columbus, where in 2032 the Columbus Browns draft Bernie Kosar’s grandson, and the sun shines again.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Get Shadeur, he refuses to come here, 4th overall pick lost, new laughingstock material for the league, 2026 we draft someone else, who immediately is killed in a car accident, and Haslem moves the team in 2027.

In 2029, Renovations on the new Cleveland Browns Stadium are halted after discovering an Indian Burial Ground, Browns move to Columbus, where in 2032 the Columbus Browns draft Bernie Kosar’s grandson, and the sun shines again.

I could live with this.

• Like 3

Just now, DawgX said:

I could live with this.

No lie, my first thought was “I think as long as I could guarantee that nobody actually died, I’d take this. What’s 7 years if I could get that guarantee?”

I’d get like 4 years of no Browns football and probably perfect my woodworking hobby, and just before I hit 45, get to watch a good team as my kids hit HS/college and my house is almost paid off.

6 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I never expected you to be this optimistic.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

We have Washington, Philly, Cinci, Baltimore, LAC, then the bye week. I don’t expect to hit the bye better than 2-7. I can’t see heads not rolling by the bye if that’s the case.

Who do you fire though?

Firing the GM mid season isn’t fixing many of these issues.  Can’t think of one it does fix tbh.

DC?  Idk, defense hasn’t been good, but not THAT bad.

The OC?  You mean Dorsey or KS?  Seems sorta unnecessary for both imo.

The issue has been the injuries on the OL, Cooper falling off a cliff and Watson being back patted when he doesn’t look atrocious.  There’s no quick fix for any of that bedsides Watson and Cooper playing in a manner that’s expected based on their paychecks.

9 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Who do you fire though?

Firing the GM mid season isn’t fixing many of these issues.  Can’t think of one it does fix tbh.

The issue has been the injuries on the OL, Cooper falling off a cliff and Watson being back patted when he doesn’t look atrocious.  There’s no quick fix for any of that bedsides Watson and Cooper playing in a manner that’s expected based on their paychecks.

I’m not saying it’s what I would do but this is just how things go. The expectations were there and when you have a bye week and it’s a lost season already, there’s often major changes. I wouldn’t rule much out at this point with Jimmy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

I’m not saying it’s what I would do but this is just how things go. The expectations were there and when you have a bye week and it’s a lost season already, there’s often major changes. I wouldn’t rule much out at this point with Jimmy.

Oh yeah, I fully expect him to do some dumb sht.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Who do you fire though?

Dorsey goes for sure mid season and honestly he should. Can’t be this bad and keep doing the same stuff.

End of season, the GM goes for sure unless he cowardly fires STEF, which I bet he does because Berry is pretty bad at his job in every capacity.

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Dorsey goes for sure mid season and honestly he should. Can’t be this bad and keep doing the same stuff.

he’s not even calling plays though.  Not saying he will or won’t get canned, but just sorta seems like a sacrificial firing because someone has to because Jimbo is big mad.

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

End of season, the GM goes for sure unless he cowardly fires STEF, which I bet he does because Berry is pretty bad at his job in every capacity.

If Berry stays then Watson was 100% on Haslam imo.  Fully expect AB to get canned, they’ll force Stefanski on the next guy and they’ll butt heads before both get canned in 2 years.

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

he’s not even calling plays though.  Not saying he will or won’t get canned, but just sorta seems like a sacrificial firing because someone has to because Jimbo is big mad.

Doesn’t matter, head coach isn’t going anywhere mid season, that’s how it works fair or not.

Plus it’s Dorsey’s scheme, he will take the blame as a scapegoat for Watson and the entire offense’s collective ineptitude.

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

If Berry stays then Watson was 100% on Haslam imo.  Fully expect AB to get canned, they’ll force Stefanski on the next guy and they’ll butt heads before both get canned in 2 years.

Watson aside, Berry has been horrible. Ika, Schwartz, Hall to date, all massively bad picks.

Wills over Wirfs was bad at the time, only been worse, as well as over JJ.

Conklin’s contract/signing was also bad, he was injury prone at Tennessee.

The Moore trade was bad, said so at the time. Jeudy and his contract are terrible.

Tillman can’t even get on the field here, another bad day 2 pick it appears.

But hey, at least he drafted JOK who is a stud, Delpit who is pretty good, and Emerson who is a capable #2 CB and definitely not a #1.

And that’s if you don’t hold the Watson trade against him.