Out of the Park Baseball 18

MKnight82

23ootp18.jpg

I mentioned this in the general game talk thread, but I think we're supposed to be making more individual threads so here goes.  

This is the first year I've purchased this game.  If you're not familiar with the game here's a summary of it:

https://www.ootpdevelopments.com/out-of-the-park-baseball-home/

Anyways, I started off as the Brewers GM/Manager as they were the only team willing to hire me.  I traded away most of my vets for prospects and tried to build through the draft...without much success.  In fact I ended up with the worst record in baseball for several seasons.  I got fired after my 3rd year and found myself without a job.  No one in MLB would offer me a job so I had to head to Japan, where I'm now the GM/Manager of the Yomiuri Giants.  They had the worst record in Japanese baseball the year before I started.  So I went from the worst team in MLB to the worst team in Japan.  

I've been through two years of a rebuild and drafting with the Giants and I'm starting to like my new team.  I've been targeting building up my pitching staff, and with the #1 overall pick in the draft the last two years I've landed two 5 star stud starters:

s7LaR6e.jpg

The complications with Japanese baseball is that I have a very limited budget, and if any of my players get too good American teams steal them.  So its definitely a challenge.  I'm hoping to win enough games to head back to MLB though.  

Also I tried to buy a pennant my first year in Japan by signing a bunch of aging MLB players and bringing them over to Japan.  I absolutely clobbered everyone in spring training, then came opening day.  Apparently you can only have 3 foreign born players on your active roster during the regular season.  So I had to demote all my guys from MLB to AAA ball and I went last place as I had all crap players from Japan.  

OOTP, in my opinion, is the very best of all simulation baseball games. I've played strat-o-matic and they don't even come close to what OOTP offers. I first bought OOTP11 for a measly five bucks off of amazon and have not stopped playing it. I became the 1991 Pittsburgh Pirates and after five seasons I won the World Series. I then purchased OOTP16 and it's a major upgrade from '11 which was already great to begin with. They continue to upgrade the game.

I HIGHLY recommend anyone who enjoys in-depth baseball simulation and all the control you ever want to be a GM or manager to look into OOTP. You won't be disappointed. So many different features. You can be any team you want in any year.

For hockey fans they have hockey sim games as well which is just as good. Get the Franchise Hockey Manager 2 or 3. The first version that came out was okay but they made major upgrades. Unfortunately, they have been working on a football sim game but had to scrap plans because the main guy who was making it came down with an illness. They will go back and start again with football.

I've always wondered about OOTP since I sold my PS4 and just play on PC now. So do you play games or just simulate a 'career' mode. I love stimulating career modes but like to sometimes actually play as the team, which is why I like The Show. 

44 minutes ago, Mr. bDoDDleS said:

I've always wondered about OOTP since I sold my PS4 and just play on PC now. So do you play games or just simulate a 'career' mode. I love stimulating career modes but like to sometimes actually play as the team, which is why I like The Show. 

No, its a true management sim (like Football Manager is for soccer/association football).

Check out this video to see what the games are like

1 minute ago, drd23 said:

No, its a true management sim (like Football Manager is for soccer/association football).

Check out this video to see what the games are like

Since I'm a big fantasy baseball guy, I've heard a lot about 'sim leagues', which is interesting to me. Is there a way to make your own league with friends? 

Is it strictly managing MLB teams? I'm not really a soccer fan but I got a huge kick out of taking the historically worst team(I randomly picked them, knew nothing about them before I started playing) in the Scottish league and dominating the third division to move up, only to get relegated promptly. Although I suppose baseball doesn't have relegation system so that thrill would be missing anyway.

I'm intrigued by it though, might pick it up if I see it for sale on Steam. 

3 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

Is it strictly managing MLB teams? I'm not really a soccer fan but I got a huge kick out of taking the historically worst team(I randomly picked them, knew nothing about them before I started playing) in the Scottish league and dominating the third division to move up, only to get relegated promptly. Although I suppose baseball doesn't have relegation system so that thrill would be missing anyway.

I'm intrigued by it though, might pick it up if I see it for sale on Steam. 

No they have like 9-10 other professional league around the world in the game.  For instance I left MLB (or was forced out lol) and went to Japan's professional league to manage. 

• 2 weeks later...

The issue I usually have with games like these are that the player progressions. I have downloaded the demo before (and never played it whoops). 

Is it possible to build through the draft?

I also really, really, really wish there was even a decent basketball management game

On 7/31/2017 at 2:09 AM, Troy Brown said:

The issue I usually have with games like these are that the player progressions. I have downloaded the demo before (and never played it whoops). 

Is it possible to build through the draft?

I also really, really, really wish there was even a decent basketball management game

I've had a really difficult time building through the draft.  I usually get fired in 3-4 years if I tank too hard.  

2 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Best sim game ever made. If there was an NFL one id live on it. OOTP makers said maybe an NFL sim next year :)

http://gmgames.org/beyond-the-sideline-football-bts/

BTS Football is being created by lead developer Francis Cole. OOTP has discontinued supporting this project. It has now transferred over to Francis Cole to complete when health permits.

The game will offer these features:

A realistic modern day American football experience with all current rules and regulations.

All 32 real American football teams with their real players and current rosters.

A realistic 2D game engine that represents all the action on the field, with the ability to call plays and watch them unfold, complete with the roar of the crowd and other sound effects.

You dictate the action on the field: Set depth charts and develop strategies around your preferred style of play. FaceGen support allows realistic images of all players.

A complete box score for every game played in the league during its history, so you can always look back on thrilling victories and agonizing defeats. The ability to sim decades into the future and watch teams' fortunes rise and fall as dynasties emerge, crumble, and eventually renew themselves.

You call the shots from the front office: Participate in the draft for your team every spring; trade players; and negotiate contracts with draft picks and free agents.

All of the (non-playable) Division I colleges as well as many more, with real players, so you can draft the next crop of superstars every year.

A living, breathing world full of news articles from around the league and a message system that lets you field offers from other GMs and hear what your players have to say.

Complete histories, including stats, transactions, injuries, and contracts, for all players who have participated in a training camp during the past decade.

Nearly 50 tracked stats, allowing you to go beyond the usual numbers and dig deep into players' performance. Each player features a Health Scan that lets you quickly assess their current situation by showing you which areas of their body are hurt, which areas are okay, and which ones are worn.

Customization options, including the ability to change team names, the number of teams, the league structure, the league's country, and a variety of settings.

Many benefits from utilizing the OOTP code base, like the user-friendly interface, online league support, HTML output, customizable text database and much more!

Yes I know they discontinued BTS but Marcus said they are working on a different NFL sim from scratch and they are very confident it will be ready for the 2018 season. It won't be called BTS and it will be pretty bare compared to OOTP but if you are looking for a true sim experience it'll blow Madden out of the water. 

21 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Yes I know they discontinued BTS but Marcus said they are working on a different NFL sim from scratch and they are very confident it will be ready for the 2018 season. It won't be called BTS and it will be pretty bare compared to OOTP but if you are looking for a true sim experience it'll blow Madden out of the water. 

Will they have the NFL license to use actual teams and players?

52 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Will they have the NFL license to use actual teams and players?

BTS advertised all the teams and players so I'm assuming so. Sims aren't technically video games so EA can't really block it as far as I'm aware of.

Archived