Martha Ford Steps Down

Nnivolcm

The team announced Tuesday that Martha Firestone Ford, who took over after William Clay Ford Sr. died in 2014, has stepped down as the principal owner of the team. Sheila Ford Hamp will succeed her mother as the club's principal owner and chairman.

https://www.nfl.com/news/lions-owner-martha-ford-stepping-down-will-be-succeeded-by-daughter

I don't think this really changes much of anything, but not a lot to talk about this time of year.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2020 at 3:34 PM, Nnivolcm said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/lions-owner-martha-ford-stepping-down-will-be-succeeded-by-daughter

I don't think this really changes much of anything, but not a lot to talk about this time of year.

I agree. It’s just more of the same. There’s allot to be said for stability. IF YOU’RE A WINNING ORG. She was part of the three person team that hired Quinn, Patricia and fired Cakdwell.

17 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

I agree. It’s just more of the same. There’s allot to be said for stability. IF YOU’RE A WINNING ORG. She was part of the three person team that hired Quinn, Patricia and fired Cakdwell.

You do remember that Martha hired at the suggestion of the league, Ernie Acorsi to conduct a search to a new team president. This process resulted in Rod Wood being hired. Then Wood conducted a GM search using league assets that determined Bob Quinn was the best candidate. These are non-football people who have been getting advice from the league and following that advice. They've brought in football people to make the football decisions. As GM, Quinn has the power to hire/fire a coach. If he isn't, then you're getting meddling from ownership which is usually a recipe for failure. 

Again, this has been an organizational reset over the last 6 years. We haven't had the success on the field but there have been a lot of changes around the organization since Martha inherited the role of principal owner with William Clay Ford's death in 2014. If you listen to the most recent episode of the "The Detroit Lions Podcast", they go over a lot of the things that Martha has done during her time as owner. 

Sheila is her own person and is 20 years younger than when her mother took over as owner. 

9 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

You do remember that Martha hired at the suggestion of the league, Ernie Acorsi to conduct a search to a new team president. This process resulted in Rod Wood being hired. Then Wood conducted a GM search using league assets that determined Bob Quinn was the best candidate. These are non-football people who have been getting advice from the league and following that advice. They've brought in football people to make the football decisions. As GM, Quinn has the power to hire/fire a coach. If he isn't, then you're getting meddling from ownership which is usually a recipe for failure. 

Again, this has been an organizational reset over the last 6 years. We haven't had the success on the field but there have been a lot of changes around the organization since Martha inherited the role of principal owner with William Clay Ford's death in 2014. If you listen to the most recent episode of the "The Detroit Lions Podcast", they go over a lot of the things that Martha has done during her time as owner. 

Sheila is her own person and is 20 years younger than when her mother took over as owner. 

Wood and the two Fords were the decision makers. Using outside resources doesn’t alter that. 

No chance Quinn can hire or fire a HC without executive approval. Executive approval is not meddling. It’s oversight. Mrs. Hamp has already said she will be very involved. In her next breath she’s careful to say she won’t meddle. Anyone who believes an owner won’t meddle if a decision detrimental to team image, public relations or serious financial damage is contemplated isn’t thinking. GM’s can’t trade certain players without executive approval either. 

They can call it whatever they want. Retool, reset, upgrade, reinvention, recalibrate, rebuild but you can’t make a silk purse from a sows ear. It’s an under achieving organization with a long track record of failure. 

Martha has done some good things. Those good things don’t translate to functional goal one which is winning games.

Mrs. Hamp, in interviews continually references how she’s been at her mothers side for all decisions and how much she’s learned. Great, her knowledge base is 100% learned in an ineffective organization. Her age is irrelevant.

This is nothing more than placing one of her kids in the top chair. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

I don't thing a truly independent party would have suggested we hire Rod Wood, a close friend and employee of the Ford's who had no football knowledge when taking over the team.  I get as President, its not all about football and you have to have business acumen but you still would hope for someone somewhat involved in the industry. 

The rest I think DHLF addressed appropriately. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

One year after SFH takes over, what is everyone's thoughts so far?

Personally, I had very low expectations going into her reign as owner. When I found out she was advocating for Quintricia to remain on for another year in 2020, I expected more of the same.

However, I really liked the Inside the Den video of the Lions draft room. SFH had questions about WRs, but listened to Holmes' feedback and didn't force the issue. I'm interested to see the front office and coaching staff she's been apart of setting up in action.

Maybe it's just that time of the year, but with Quintricia gone, I'm once again finding myself cautiously optimistic about the future of the Lions. I think SFH is part of that.

15 hours ago, Nnivolcm said:

One year after SFH takes over, what is everyone's thoughts so far?

Personally, I had very low expectations going into her reign as owner. When I found out she was advocating for Quintricia to remain on for another year in 2020, I expected more of the same.

However, I really liked the Inside the Den video of the Lions draft room. SFH had questions about WRs, but listened to Holmes' feedback and didn't force the issue. I'm interested to see the front office and coaching staff she's been apart of setting up in action.

Maybe it's just that time of the year, but with Quintricia gone, I'm once again finding myself cautiously optimistic about the future of the Lions. I think SFH is part of that.

I said this throughout the process but the organization needed organizational change.  Replacing Quintricia with a new GM and coach would have led to more of the same.  Instead we added a new position between Rod Wood and the GM that allows Rod to focus on business while Spielman leads the football operations.  Then they added multiple assistant GM type roles to help assist the GM to again focus on football and not worry as much about the marketing, facilities, etc.  I am still skeptical of Dan Campbell as an X's and O's guy but he put really solid people around him and he seems to have the energy to make people want to play/coach for and with him.  SFH allowed Holmes to make decisions on coaching and players, including Stafford, without getting in the way.  However she is there in the trenches learning what happens, seeing what is working and hopefully taking notes so that if something goes wrong with this leadership group, she can correct those things going forward.  I am not sure all of this is directly related to SFH but she is at the top so she gets the credit for now.  

So obviously I am drinking the koolaid.  I don't expect us to be overly competitive this year but I want to see growth on the field and see the picks that Holmes made show promise.  Given our draft capital the next couple of years, I am excited for the future more than I am this year.  But the intrigue of a new organizational structure and a brighter future has renewed my excitement to even watch a bad team this year in hopes of seeing them improve as they go. 

• Like 3