Supplemental Draft

xrade

Typically the sup draft takes place the second week of July.  Has anyone heard when it will actually take place?  Potential players involved?  This year seems like it will be unique in that players may want to enter because of the possibility of a shortened or no college FB season.  I also understand the NFL will not grant eligibility to players because of the pandemic, but things could change.

As of now, I couldn't find any new information about using Covid 19 to qualify player's eligibility for the supplemental draft .  As the draft is approaching, I can't imagine NFL will make an exemption at last minute.

Unfortunately, I have no idea who is eligible for this upcoming draft. lol.

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

There's a significant amount of money a player leaves on the table by going in the supplemental draft rather than the regular draft. So I dont think very many players will opt for the supplemntal draft. 

Agreed, but with the possibility of no or reduced CFB this year, some may feel going in the supplemental draft is better than staring into the unknown.  If the NFL allows it, which at this moment I believe they do not, you could see an interesting sup draft.

44 minutes ago, xrade said:

Agreed, but with the possibility of no or reduced CFB this year, some may feel going in the supplemental draft is better than staring into the unknown.  If the NFL allows it, which at this moment I believe they do not, you could see an interesting sup draft.

No more than 5 top prospects made sense if COVID 19 clause was approved.   I don't think all 32 teams would bid on top prospects as they would make an attempt to gamble non 1st round bid and claim top prospects for less than 1st round slot money. Those top prospects most likely fall into that trap.   Better off wait until next regular draft to get 1st round money as BPA.

2 hours ago, xrade said:

I still think they’d have to change the pay wages for it to be worth it. And they won’t change the salaries I’m sure

48 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I still think they’d have to change the pay wages for it to be worth it. And they won’t change the salaries I’m sure

2020 supplemental draft occurs prior to 2020 season so there is no change in pay wage at all.

59 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

2020 supplemental draft occurs prior to 2020 season so there is no change in pay wage at all.

I mean pay for the draft pick. A 2nd round supplemental pick gets paid quite a bit less than a regular 2nd round pick

30 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Yes but I wonder if some guys would rather just get paid immediately (if eligible) instead of risking a year without CFB.

NCAA is leading on to say their will be a a season. Obviously things can change though.

But to the point I'm making about pay... a 2nd round supplemental pick is getting like 400k (I believe) a season. Which is significantly less than a regular draft choice.

Why would any legit talent take this route? It's leaving millions upon millions on the table. They'd be better off sitting out the whole NCAA season and just going in the 2021 draft rather than doing the supplemental 2020 draft.

26 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

NCAA is leading on to say their will be a a season. Obviously things can change though.

But to the point I'm making about pay... a 2nd round supplemental pick is getting like 400k (I believe) a season. Which is significantly less than a regular draft choice.

Why would any legit talent take this route? It's leaving millions upon millions on the table. They'd be better off sitting out the whole NCAA season and just going in the 2021 draft rather than doing the supplemental 2020 draft.

Do supplemental picks have more negotiation rights with their contracts? Josh Gordon's contract coming out was 4 years $5.3M for a second rounder... this was also back in 2012 pre-CBA. This is essentially what Mims is getting as a 2nd rounder this year.

There are so few supplemental picks each year that I have no idea how those contracts work. If they could come into the league on a minimum two year contract they could be in better shape for an early payday.

2 minutes ago, Sapo28 said:

Do supplemental picks have more negotiation rights with their contracts? Josh Gordon's contract coming out was 4 years $5.3M for a second rounder... this was also back in 2012 pre-CBA. This is essentially what Mims is getting as a 2nd rounder this year.

There are so few supplemental picks each year that I have no idea how those contracts work. If they could come into the league on a minimum two year contract they could be in better shape for an early payday.

Not sure. I'll have to do some research on it.